Team China is preparing for the new season in Canada | Golden Skate

Team China is preparing for the new season in Canada

yqs100

On the Ice
Team China arrived in Toronto two weeks ago, and are working with Lori and David Wilson for their new programs, inclduing

Ladies: Li Zijun
Men: Yan Han, Song Nan
Pairs: Pang/Zhang, Sui/Han, Yu/Jin, Wang/Wang

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm glad Nan Song also get benefit from this. Thanks Han Yan for his result from World2014. Really love his FS this year. Too bad they don't give the Junior teams also the same opportunity. Boyang Jin could flair well with any help he can get.

makaihime

Final Flight
Ugh, I'm so happy to see Nan Song here :cry: I hope he gets himself together for next season. I want to see him on the GP podium and hopefully a top 10 on the world stage. Yan had a great year, lets hope he can keep up the momentum because I want to see the Chinese making a big splash this coming quad :biggrin: And I'm always happy to see P/Z~

Alba

Record Breaker
What's the situation between Li Zijun and her coach? It looked like they had problems.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I hope Lori doesn't give another one of Mirai's recycled programs to Zijun again.

Agreed.

Zijun has the talented to really put herself in the mix for this next quad, but both of her programs from this season were disappointing. That SP was horrible. Zijun's style is way too light and delicate to convincingly pull off that music. As a matter of fact, Lori's program for Mirai to that music wasn't good either. She should stop using it altogether.

Zijun's area is clearly classical/light pieces but she (Lori) should give her contemporary classical music, so as to avoid giving her nothing but overused warhorse music. It's soft enough to compliment her style but varied enough that it won't look like she's skating to the same thing, which is what happened with her FS last season.

Also, I'd like to see Lori rearrange Zijun's elements. All of the jumps and spins have been set up the exact same for at least the last 3 seasons, all the way back to her junior days. Variety...please, mix something up.

She's a lovely skater with all the goods but she has to bring more energy and life into her performances or she'll never break into the top tiers. I think that all starts with two good programs...so get to work Lori!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. Li can do many of her elements out of nothingness (like her 2A+3T), so it'd be nice to choreographically challenge her. After a disappointing last season, she really needs to step up her game.

BusyMom

Medalist
I love her Ophelia program. Her training situation is a bit in the shade though. Hope they'll resolve that soon. Better keep her in Canada for the next 4 years. :biggrin:

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I love her Ophelia program. Her training situation is a bit in the shade though. Hope they'll resolve that soon. Better keep her in Canada for the next 4 years. :biggrin:

That'd be good. Does Orser have any big names in the ladies right now?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think Orser would be fantastic for her... well, fantastic for any skater, really, but I think she has pretty good technique and just needs to develop more maturity and speed (I feel he could do with her what he did with Nam).

makaihime

Final Flight
I think Orser would be fantastic for her... well, fantastic for any skater, really, but I think she has pretty good technique and just needs to develop more maturity and speed (I feel he could do with her what he did with Nam).

Well I don't know about that. I mean, look at Christina Gao :slink: I'm still holding onto hope for that girl tbh

FSGMT

Record Breaker
No, he actually doesn't, but I think that Hanyu, Fernandez and Nam are already a big deal to concentrate on, and Zijun would have to move to Canada permanently, and I don't know if she would like to do it and if the federation would pay for that (remember that it is JSF who's paying for Hanyu's training in Canada)...

BusyMom

Medalist
Well I don't know about that. I mean, look at Christina Gao :slink: I'm still holding onto hope for that girl tbh
I think she was great under Orser. But she left Canada 2 years ago to concentrate on her getting in good college. Her priority shifted. It is not easy balancing Harvard and skating career. If she decide to continue, she still has a promising chance.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Good call. Let's hope she can stay long enough to really make a difference in her skating. Orser's magic doesn't appear to work on a short-term consultancy (see further: Elena G, Christina Gao) but rather long-term (see further: Yuna, Javier, Yuzuru).

makaihime

Final Flight
No, he actually doesn't, but I think that Hanyu, Fernandez and Nam are already a big deal to concentrate on, and Zijun would have to move to Canada permanently, and I don't know if she would like to do it and if the federation would pay for that (remember that it is JSF who's paying for Hanyu's training in Canada)...

Actually it was the JOC who gave out scholarships and JSF chose Hanyu as one of the receivers. It only paid for 2 years leading up to 2014, so now that the Olympics is over I wonder if JOC's going to continue paying for it or will the JSF pick up half the tab and the other half Hanyu has to pay out of pocket? Wasn't that the arrangement JSF had with Mao?

And I agree, I don't think China really have the resources to send her to someone like Orser...then again Javier managed to pay for Orser himself so maybe its not too expensive? :think:

I think she was great under Orser. But she left Canada 2 years ago to concentrate on her getting in good college. Her priority shifted. It is not easy balancing Harvard and skating career. If she decide to continue, she still has a promising chance.

I don't think she was bad under Orser but I feel like she could've done so much better. She had a lot of potential and she also had really good techniques. :eek:hwell:

shine

Record Breaker
Good call. Let's hope she can stay long enough to really make a difference in her skating. Orser's magic doesn't appear to work on a short-term consultancy (see further: Elena G, Christina Gao) but rather long-term (see further: Yuna, Javier, Yuzuru).

^I think you may be mistaken. There's no news of Li going to Orser. This is just fans expressing their hope.

makaihime

Final Flight

Christina was not short-termed though. She moved to Canada and was with Orser for I believe 2-3 season.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Christina was not short-termed though. She moved to Canada and was with Orser for I believe 2-3 season.

Christina has never made a splash internationally. Her best finish was that silver medal at SA two years ago...her only other senior medal is a bronze from Ondrej Nepela.

Zijun made a big splash at worlds in 2013 and proved that the judges will score her well when she skates well. She needs better guidance and I think Orser would be a good choice, if she could get him.

Didn't I hear a rumor or something about Mingzhu Li leaving China and no longer coaching the team?