Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Unquestionably, Meryl Davis is US Figure Skating's "it" girl right now.

Olympic medals of every colour, including 2014 Olympic Champion, won everything in figure skating that there is to win with Charlie (they've won 27/32 competitions in the past 5 years :bow:), countless talk shows, and now a huge victory on prime-time Dancing With the Stars making her more of a household name than she already was following her Olympic victory.

She's also has the most popularity online, with the MOST Twitter followers of any current US figure skater. :clap:

Anyone know what's next for her? Hollywood, maybe? :biggrin:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Anyone know what's next for her? Hollywood, maybe? :biggrin:

Don't you know from posting here that Hollywood is Gracie's domain? ;)

I'm so freaking proud of Meryl. After all those things people wrote for years about how she wasn't a natural dancer, how what D/W did wasn't dance, how her free leg was bent. And now she's queen of ice dance and the ballroom all in the course of a season. And no one looked prouder than Charlie. Its like they both won.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm so freaking proud of Meryl. After all those things people wrote for years about how she wasn't a natural dancer, how what D/W did wasn't dance, how her free leg was bent. And now she's queen of ice dance and the ballroom all in the course of a season. And no one looked prouder than Charlie. Its like they both won.

Agreed... they were wonderful representatives of US figure skating. Clearly DWTS is a great way for figure skating to become more prolific and the inclusion of champions like Davis and White not only draw attention to the show, but they draw more attention to the sport.

Meryl and Charlie have done fantastic things for US figure skating, and with her win, Meryl is easily the most accomplished US figure skater in the past few years with more popularity than any other US female skater (Weir is probably a bit more popular in general, though, whether famous or infamous).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Only saw a handful of her dances (I don't watch the show) but congrats to her all the same. That contemporary dance she and Maks did was very beautiful.

Agreed... they were wonderful representatives of US figure skating. Clearly DWTS is a great way for figure skating to become more prolific and the inclusion of champions like Davis and White not only draw attention to the show, but they draw more attention to the sport.

Meryl and Charlie have done fantastic things for US figure skating, and with her win, Meryl is easily the most accomplished US figure skater in the past few years with more popularity than any other US female skater (Weir is probably a bit more popular in general, though, whether famous or infamous).

That's part of what makes it so wonderful for me. Meryl and Charlie have brought figure skating more front and center in the U.S., especially with the DWTS appearances. I'm so proud of them both. And it's a delicious irony that America's latest ice princess is not a singles skater but a skater from that most obscure and least understood discipline, ice dancing. Long may she and Charlie flourish!

The poster who suggested a nose job...Heaven forbid! Meryl's profile is so distinctive and aristocratic. She looks like a Gainsborough portrait. If she standardized herself, she wouldn't look as stunning as she does now. Remember what happened to Jennifer Grey! I hope Meryl keeps her nose in all its natural glory, because she's one of a kind. I hope she remains as strong about this as Streisand did, and to equally good effect.

makaihime

Final Flight
Congratulations to the gorgeous couple! :laugh: I only caught a few performances from D/W but I thought they both did a wonderful job.

And Maks looked like he could have passed out from the stress at the end :popcorn:

Me too!!!!! It just makes me so thrilled that after people discounted her here on the forums for various prejudiced and fairly baseless reasons that she really came out and was just above and beyond terrific!! :biggrin: And I am so happy for Meryl and Charlie because they have really achieved those dreams that they had; and this is just their year! And I think that she and Charlie have been really terrific ambassadors for figure skating via their time on DWTS. They were both so likable because they were genuine, sweet, hard-working, complaint-less contestants.

So in conclusion, I hope that whatever they wish to do after this point that they are able to do and enjoy because they are so deserving! And it is a great day for the USFS because they couldn't have asked for better representatives of the sport! <3 And it is so great to have a likable and adorable male and female face for the USFS that accomplished everything together! I wish them all of the best; and can't wait to see what they do from here on!

flutzy13

On the Ice
That's part of what makes it so wonderful for me. Meryl and Charlie have brought figure skating more front and center in the U.S., especially with the DWTS appearances. I'm so proud of them both. And it's a delicious irony that America's latest ice princess is not a singles skater but a skater from that most obscure and least understood discipline, ice dancing. Long may she and Charlie flourish!

This. I remember not even watching ice dancing as a kid in the 90s. I loved skating and wanted so much to like it but I just couldn't. And it wasn't like there were ever Americans near the top to cheer for. Meryl & Charlie (with due credit to Tanith & Ben) have forced people like me and hell even USFS to take ice dance seriously and as a result our dance program is now an embarassment of riches. People at my work who have never watched skating are pulling up D/W on Youtube today and talking about how great she is. Its awesome.

I think above the amazing everything else, elevating US dance very well may be their most important legacy.

I think above the amazing everything else, elevating US dance very well may be their most important legacy.

I think at least here in the U.S. that they will always be remembered for what they did for ice dance; and if nothing else, their Olympic programs at Sochi especially! It'd be great if it makes the sport more popular in general *crosses fingers*

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The poster who suggested a nose job...Heaven forbid! Meryl's profile is so distinctive and aristocratic. She looks like a Gainsborough portrait. If she standardized herself, she wouldn't look as stunning as she does now. Remember what happened to Jennifer Grey! I hope Meryl keeps her nose in all its natural glory, because she's one of a kind. I hope she remains as strong about this as Streisand did, and to equally good effect.

Agreed... I remember Ashlee Simpson got one too, and everyone went from saying how weird her nose looks to how plain/average-looking she looked afterwards. Moral being, you'll never please everyone so just be yourself. :) I guess haters are gonna hate though.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Olympic medals of every colour, including 2014 Olympic Champion, won everything in figure skating that there is to win with Charlie (they've won 27/32 competitions in the past 5 years :bow:)

Incorrect - Meryl and Charlie never won World Juniors. Conversely, Tessa and Scott never won the GPF

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was referring to Senior events, but yes, Junior Worlds they did not win. They've also never won the JGPF or TEB (or competed at CoC), but I think those are negligible compared to their actual notable accolades.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

:agree: Agree completely! Jennifer Grey became just another face in the crowd after her surgery and I'd hate for that to happen to Meryl. Her looks are uniquely and beautifully her own. Why gild the lily?

BlackPack

Medalist
Nothing wrong with Meryl's nose. It's nowhere as prominent as some of the people's noses mentioned here, so I don't even know what that's about.

On a positive note, I thought that deerskates made a very valid point in the D/W on DWTS thread:

And I have to say this about Meryl from the rehearsal videos, she has ah-mazeballs hair! I believe it's all hers, and it's fantastic.

Meryl (and Charlie too actually) have great hair! To be honest, they could be in adds/commercials/etc. He has very nice thick wavy hair for a guy. And she....as a girl, I am so jealous of her hair! It's so thick and shiny and long.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Meryl on winning DWTS!! :clap:
I called her to crush the competition from the day they announced the cast, and great that a properly trained dancer won the event on the celeb side.