Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm so freaking proud of Meryl. After all those things people wrote for years about how she wasn't a natural dancer, how what D/W did wasn't dance, how her free leg was bent. And now she's queen of ice dance and the ballroom all in the course of a season. And no one looked prouder than Charlie. Its like they both won.

This is so true!

Congratulations to Meryl!!

to CSG! I think Johnny has more followers.

lmarie086

Medalist
I've been a D/W fan since they made their senior debut- something really just clicked for me. I didn't care that they weren't perfect because they were always improving. It astounds me to go back and compare the 2014 D/W to what they were at the 2006 SC. And maybe I'm alone on this, but I still don't think they've fully met all their potential. Especially now that it sounds like both Meryl and Charlie have a new, deeper appreciation of dance.

The biggest treat of DWTS for me has been seeing Meryl and Charlie learn more about dance, and how wonderful their friendship was. The snippet of their dance that ABC deigned to share (grr) was probably my favorite part of the whole season. I don't care that they don't have a super steamy romantic connection, theirs is no less heartfelt.

And after all the criticism thrown at Meryl (especially) and Charlie, I'm tickled that they may just be on their way to becoming household names. Constructive criticism is no problem, but for some they could never do anything right. So I LOVE this.

And I'm going to be the contrary one and say I don't think Meryl and Maks will end up in a relationship. I think they care about each other deeply, but I see a long lasting friendship coming out of this more than anything.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
On a positive note, I thought that deerskates made a very valid point in the D/W on DWTS thread:

Meryl (and Charlie too actually) have great hair! To be honest, they could be in adds/commercials/etc. He has very nice thick wavy hair for a guy. And she....as a girl, I am so jealous of her hair! It's so thick and shiny and long.

Borrowing desertskates' word, Charlie's hair is simply ah-mazeballs (and the rest of him ain't bad, either)! :biggrin: In high school I had a howling crush on a guy with hair like that. Sigh...

Thanks for the new vocab word, desertskates!

Rashela

On the Ice
Actually Meryl on Instagram is beating Johnny Weir by a landslide - Meryl's 206k followers to Johnny's 120k followers. :yay:

I've been a D/W fan since they made their senior debut- something really just clicked for me. I didn't care that they weren't perfect because they were always improving. It astounds me to go back and compare the 2014 D/W to what they were at the 2006 SC. And maybe I'm alone on this, but I still don't think they've fully met all their potential. Especially now that it sounds like both Meryl and Charlie have a new, deeper appreciation of dance.

The biggest treat of DWTS for me has been seeing Meryl and Charlie learn more about dance, and how wonderful their friendship was. The snippet of their dance that ABC deigned to share (grr) was probably my favorite part of the whole season. I don't care that they don't have a super steamy romantic connection, theirs is no less heartfelt.

lmarie, I totally agree! I'd love to see them do another season competitively since this experience because they were great before - but I think that they have the potential to bring new things that they've learned (and helpful new connections) and be even better!! :)

And I agree - snippet or no, I LOVED seeing them dance together. Sharna gave them great choreo; and it was a joy to watch because it was beautiful, they looked like they were having fun, and their connection was on last night!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm a Virtue/Moir fan, but I must say, congratulations to Meryl for all that she's achieved! It's refreshing for America's Ice Princess to not be someone from the singles discipline, but rather from the least popular/recognized discipline. Meryl and Charlie's FD this season was absolutely dazzling.

Please no nose job though! It's great to have an ice princess who doesn't look conventional!

Icey

Record Breaker
She doesn't need a nose job, but since she will probably be speaking publicly more than she ever has, I wish she would work with a vocal coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratuations to Meryl. :bow: And to Charlie for all that he achieved in his own right. :bow:

Ewwwwwwwwww, I hope not. He is such a slimy sleeze.

karne, I too hope not. Going back to the earliest years of DWTS, I have never understood the fascination with Maks C. (I usually have a weakness for Russians, but he definitely is an exception.)
He was worthy of Meryl only as a dance partner -- and my gut is that she would have won DWTS anyway with any other partner. [ETA: I mean that with any other partner, she still would have earned the win. I do not mean that the outcome was preordained.]

Going forward in life, Meryl deserves someone as special as she is. Daisuke Takahashi, where are you??? Now would be the perfect time for you to come forward and sweep Meryl off her feet. :yes:

GF2445

Record Breaker
In addition to all the amazing things she can do She can also be a spokesperson to raise awareness about Dyslexia or depth perception because her story is one of determination and unrelenting perserverence (not even these setbacks stopped her from going for the Gold and taking lofe to the whole!) she is very inspirational.

Congratuations to Meryl. :bow: And to Charlie for all that he achieved in his own right. :bow:

karne, I too hope not. Going back to the earliest years of DWTS, I have never understood the fascination with Maks C. (I usually have a weakness for Russians, but he definitely is an exception.)
He was worthy of Meryl only as a dance partner -- and my gut is that she would have won DWTS anyway with any other partner. [ETA: I mean that with any other partner, she still would have earned the win. I do not mean that the outcome was preordained.]

Going forward in life, Meryl deserves someone as special as she is. Daisuke Takahashi, where are you??? Now would be the perfect time for you to come forward and sweep Meryl off her feet. :yes:

You and I often see eye to eye, but in this case I don't agree with you. I'm kind of fond of Maks, though I don't think he's right for Meryl in the romantic sense. (Like she'd listen to me!) I like your idea of Daisuke, Golden. But I would not make any longterm decisions about that right now if I were Meryl, because this has been such a whirlwind year. She spent the last year or two in the equivalent of boot camp while training for the Olympics, and then after winning the OGM she has hardly had time to hear herself think. She needs to decompress and look around for a bit before making a commitment to anyone. No one who comes with fireworks attached should have all her attention right now.

I hope she spends some time just enjoying the rewards of all her labors!

desertskates

Medalist
I hope she spends some time just enjoying the rewards of all her labors!

Yup, exactly. :agree:

She has such a tremendous work ethic. I hope there's a quiet beach or mountain or whatever spot she loves, and she gets a true vacation. I can't imagine going full throttle with your mind and body for that long.

slider11

Medalist
I think Meryl will focus for the next few months on reaping the financial benefits of her sponsors by appearing in events, maybe even commercials. Kellogg's, Ralph Lauren, Puffs, ATT must be thrilled they landed her and Charlie before all this. I don't think she will ditch her ice dance partnership with Charlie but I think they will either outright retire or not compete competitively for 2014-15 on ice. They are scheduled to skate in Japan in mid-July and have a show in Sun Valley in Aug. I'm sure they will be sought after for the fall ice shows. I think finishing college will be a priority. So where does Maks fit in? If she's smart she won't force the issue nor be forced into something. Stay connected but let the dust settle. If it's meant to be, she'll know. Meryl said on the show she's learned to stand up for herself so I think she will carefully consider her options and lead with heart and head on her own terms. It would be fairytale if they end up together. They are darling!

desertskates

Medalist
Glad to be of help with ah-mazeballs :laugh: I'm sure I picked it up on some vapid tv show, but when it comes to the heads of hair on the two people, it's fitting. Also fitting for Mao's Olympic long (just had to throw that in).

meem

On the Ice
What's wrong with her interviews?

Her voice is extremely high-pitched (it's like listening to fingernails scratching a blackboard). A voice coach could help her lower her voice a bit, give it a fuller (i.e., not squeaky) sound which would be great because Meryl's got a lot to offer so she'll need a better speaking voice. I don't watch DWTS but have followed it via comments here and over at SkateFans. D/W were smart to be a part of this show right after the O's.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would not be surprised if she has already done some work with a vocal coach. I seem to remember her voice being even more squeaky/little girl like in previous years.

buttermilk

On the Ice
Having a chipmunk voice is another thing people are supposed to feel about themselves for now? Her voice is fine. Thankfully, I think she has enough self esteem and better things to do with her time than worry about that.