Brian Joubert training in pairs discipline? | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert training in pairs discipline?

Amei

Record Breaker
I think I remember him saying something about wanting to win OGM in men's then in pairs. If he is--- isn't 29 (almost 30) a little late to start trying to train in a different discipline?

Meoima

Match Penalty
If he were 27, I would say he still had time, but almost 30 seems a little bit late. Anyways if it's true then I hope the best for him. :)

Amei

Record Breaker
Anything is possible. We know he has the jumps. They could surprise us.:slink:

I wish the best for Brian - I love to watch him skate, granted I wished he laid off the Matrix, but pairs is very little about a guy's ability to jump.

Another interesting thing: I assume they would skate for France because the alternative (or obvious alternative) is to skate for Daria's home country which is Russia - we know the likelihood that they skate for Russia is highly unlikely (considering how Russia is not short of top pair's teams). That would mean they would be going up against Massot/Savchenko, because Massot/Savchenko are likely to skate for France - where they can get funding.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
I wish the best for Brian - I love to watch him skate, granted I wished he laid off the Matrix, but pairs is very little about a guy's ability to jump.

Another interesting thing: I assume they would skate for France because the alternative (or obvious alternative) is to skate for Daria's home country which is Russia - we know the likelihood that they skate for Russia is highly unlikely (considering how Russia is not short of top pair's teams). That would mean they would be going up against Massot/Savchenko, because Massot/Savchenko are likely to skate for France - where they can get funding.

True. There is more to pairs than the jumps but it doesn't hurt either. I hope it works out for them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
He used to say he wanted to be men's Olympic champ in Torino and pairs Olympic champ in Vancouver. According to one of the commentators, anyway. Neither plan panned out, but I'm glad to see him trying out pairs. It would be a shame if he didn't even give it a go, after talking about it for so long. I don't expect him to compete at the international level, but who knows? Popova/Joubert vs. Savchenko/Massot would be really interesting--lopsided, but interesting. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's an interesting pairing and dynamic. It's hard to say if he will get a feel for it but certainly male skaters like Radford and Moscovitch transitioned from singles (though that took years). Needless to say, if Brian wants to keep skating competitively this might be a great option for him.

Question: has any singles world champion ever been a pairs world champion or medaled? The closest I can think of is Galindo/Yamaguchi winning US nationals in pairs and singles. They were as high as 5th at Worlds together and obviously Galindo won bronze and Yamaguchi won two World titles and the OGM.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This could be a good change for him. It would be cool to see him transition to something like pairs because he has pretty much hit his ceiling in singles now. If France can get some solid pairs teams going, this can help France alot. At the moment, France's strongest disciplines are ladies and pairs. With pechalat and bourzat retired and the future of carron and jones currenty being questioned and speculated over (they do have papadakis and cizeron but they still need a bit of time) and frence mens in a mess (amodio) (bessighier is improving but still needs time), the next few years are crucial.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, we have another one joining the team "We can't stop competing".
Plushy, Aliona, and now Joubert. Who's next? :popcorn:

BusyMom

Medalist
As long as he's still physically fit enough, at least he seems to enjoy what he's doing. Doing something constructive with your live is more admirable than sulking with your part. He is not even 30 yet for cry out loud. Men in pair skaters could be able to perform until their mid-30s.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OK, just watched that clip. I say why not? They look good together; he seems to be enjoying himself. Gives us a chance to enjoy Brian for a few more years.

meem

On the Ice
I hope this works out - it definitely adds some fascination to pairs skating for me (I need some fascination with pairs thanks to all the break-ups we have to endure at the end of each season).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As long as he's still physically fit enough, at least he seems to enjoy what he's doing. Doing something constructive with your live is more admirable than sulking with your part. He is not even 30 yet for cry out loud. Men in pair skaters could be able to perform until their mid-30s.

I agree. Nobody has any ideas what his goals or intentions are. Skaters step aside or carry on and that's on them. To want to maintain an elite level of skating as you get older is admirable. Even more admirable to want to try something new at the elite level. How many of us can boast being able to do that stuff? And if it makes Brian/Aliona/Fumie happy, then more power to them.

As far as "embarrassing" oneself... skaters don't owe us anything, nor do they care for the opinions of haters on a skating forum. Although I suppose haters will always take some sadistic glee in mocking skaters who continue to train at an elite level when they're no longer the favourites or switch disciplines -- even though these haters have never even done anything that remotely amounts to these skaters' achievements, and they sit lazily perched in front of their computers, out-of-shape, and spewing whatever hate makes them feel better. :rolleye:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, we have another one joining the team "We can't stop competing".
Plushy, Aliona, and now Joubert. Who's next? :popcorn:

Slowly becoming reality, even though Brian isn't skating with Aliona. Now all we need is Caro and an ice dance team (and Jeremy, lol).