Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skaters and CTE

Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Cech already have. There are articles about his condition a few time a years. Mourinho talked about them a couple of time. His wife got mad because he didn't quit. Head injuries in football are from collision with another players, hitting the grounds or the goal post(GK tends to have that accidents). They are as bad as hitting the ice.
    I repeat. We are speaking about suffering from long term brain impairment from repetitive blows to the head that are not strong enough .
    I know that having that kind of collision that Cech had most probably you'll end up with brain impairment. I also know that head injuries in football are from collision with another players, or the GK hitting the the goal post, for example, but brain impairment from like heading the ball? Never heard that.

Custom Title
    OK I got your frustrations. Still mild blow doesn't just about hitting the ball. As I said repeatedly collision obviously cause brain damages even the minor one.

Also the OT stated about hitting the ball as an example not just the ONLY causes. No need to bite my head off. Some answers here are also about one bad accident.

OK....direct answer: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...-brain-injury/

It was undetected or overseeing in the past but it still was a serious issues.

OK I got your frustrations. Still mild blow doesn't just about hitting the ball. As I said repeatedly collision obviously cause brain damages even the minor one. I will come back with the link later.

Also the OT stated about hitting the ball as an example not just the ONLY causes. No need to bite my head off.

OK....direct answer: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...-brain-injury/
    Don't worry, no frustration at all. Just repeating something because it looked like I was not making myself clear enoguh.

Also the OT stated about hitting the ball as an example not just the ONLY causes.
    But I was asking about that specific example, that's why I quoted that. I know very well that hitting the head can cause brain damages. Can even cause death for that matter.
    Normal people as well, who are not athletes, if they hit their head can have those damages. So I was curious about that specific case and asked about it.

Direct answers are better. Thank you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Have there ever been discussions about former skaters suffering from long term brain impairment? The topic comes up a lot in soccer and football, among other sports these days. Studies have shown that athletes suffer brain injury from repetitive blows to the head that are not strong enough for a concussion and otherwise go unnoticed. For instance, heading a soccer ball or contacting helmets in football, even when the athlete does not suffer a concussion, repeating this activity throughout one's life has shown degenerative cognitive impairment.

I wonder if the same happens for figure skaters? Hitting their head on the ice or crashing into the boards? Even the violent forces of their spins?
    Your question is clear enough but I also answer to the main topic at the same time. It might be mistake from my part which my post wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that.

Your question is clear enough but I also answer to the main topic at the same time. It might be mistake from my part which my post wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that.
    No problem. It's just that I really was curious about that heading the ball thing. In fact in your link it says “What’s unique about this study is this is the first study ever to quantify heading as an exposure,”

Very interesting study. Never thought about it but the ball is quite heavy indeed, and as the article states the real bulk of soccer heading happens during practice sessions, so it does make sense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    No problem. It's just that I really was curious about that heading the ball thing. In fact in your link it says “What’s unique about this study is this is the first study ever to quantify heading as an exposure,”

Very interesting study. Never thought about it but the ball is quite heavy indeed, and as the article states the real bulk of soccer heading happens during practice sessions, so it does make sense.
    It is sad to say how come they didn't care to do any studies before then. There are so many studies about head and neck injuries in American football.

It is sad to say how come they didn't care to do any studies before then.
    They don't even talk about that here.

There are so many studies about head and neck injuries in American football.
    Well, I can understand for USA because American football it's a huge thing. Far more popular than football and far more money in it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics View Post
    And I think it is mostly the fighters/enforcers in hockey who have shown the highest rates of CTE.
    Might be the result from all those fights.

My daughter quit hockey because one of the boy came after her with the stick.

My daughter quit hockey because one of the boy came after her with the stick.
    Sorry but I'm imagining the scene, and this made me laugh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Sorry but I'm imagining the scene, and this made me laugh.
    Just liked the scene in the movies. No worried there, figure skater is faster than hockey player anytime.

Just liked the scene in the movies. No worried there, figure skater is faster than hockey player anytime.
    That's true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2