ISU World standings as of 5/21/2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU World standings as of 5/21/2014

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina Kostner dropped for 3 reasons: she didn't do the GP in the 2012-2013 season, and she didn't do any or any International Bs this past season, and her World Championship season (2011-2012) was deleted.

Carolina normally wins two B events per year (500 points). Say she would have won two GP bronzes in 2012-2013, that would have been worth 648 points times .70 = 454. So if Kostner had done the GP in 2012-2013 and won two bronzes and if she had won two Bs this past season, she would have had an additional 954 points, giving her a total of 3716, putting her in 2nd place behind Asada.

Carolina is obviously aware of her physical limitations, which is why she skipped the GP in 2012-2013 and didn't do any Bs this past season. She is 27 and has been skating internationally since 2003, eleven years. I wouldn't be surprised if she made a retirement announcement soon, or said she was skipping the GP this season and 2015 Euros and Worlds would be her last.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree. The Worlds bronze was a bit of a recompense for being utterly screwed out of a GP gold in her final season. It sucks that Pogorilaya being a relative newbie, was the collateral damage because she thoroughly outskated both Lipnitskaia and Kostner, overall, in my opinion. I'd have had her just a point or two shy of silver, or at least place 2nd in the FS.

She got silver at CoR and likely should have won gold. I say this as a fan of the gold medalist. After her gifted Worlds Bronze I have since cleared my conscience:biggrin:
She didn't only lose the gold medal, she also lost the chance of competing at the GPF ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She didn't only lose the gold medal, she also lost the chance of competing at the GPF ;)

Yes. By like 1 pt but.....as many have pointed out forcing her to change her programs and likely helping her win Olympic and World Medals:yes: Blessing in disguise?

It's not like she didnt show her appreciation.

http://cs540109.vk.me/c540105/v540105681/176f8/pfNbtAOWInI.jpg

http://cs540109.vk.me/c540105/v540105681/17700/nGG0uQnHPdE.jpg

http://cs540109.vk.me/c540102/v540102095/34912/VJKC4IMktWg.jpg

Caro is her Idol!

FSGMT

Record Breaker

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Alba

Record Breaker
She got silver at CoR and likely should have won gold. I say this as a fan of the gold medalist. After her gifted Worlds Bronze I have since cleared my conscience:biggrin:

Oh well, I still have to see a gold medalist more sad and pissed off with herself. ;) :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh well, I still have to see a gold medalist more sad and pissed off with herself. ;) :laugh:

Haha, Kostner has an everlasting smile... when she's on the ice, when she goes into her jumps, when she lands her jumps, when she falls on her jumps, and when she gets off the ice. Beautiful example of putting on a smile no matter what life throws at you. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, Kostner has an everlasting smile... when she's on the ice, when she goes into her jumps, when she lands her jumps, when she falls on her jumps, and when she gets off the ice. Beautiful example of putting on a smile no matter what life throws at you. :)

There is no one road to the top.

Alba

Record Breaker

It's a good thing I suppose, and I like that in Caro because she doesn't look fake.

I'm more like Yulia tbh, maybe that's why I like her so much. :biggrin: I don't over criticise myslef but I do find smiling all the time very dull. :rolleye:

This is in general, in life. In Italy women often abuse with the term sunny. They often use to say "sono solare" - I'm sunny (?), to describe their personality. I hate that. :bang::biggrin:

Not speaking about Caro, she is not that type. She is one of the most disceet and polite athlete woman I've ever seen. Chapeau!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Osmond is not on Top 24

Well, that makes sense given her lack of competing due to injury. She's only competed in one GP event in the past 2 seasons, and not in as many competitions as other skaters (note that Kim is 11th for similar reasons). Had Osmond competed at 4CC 2014, and came 7th or better, she would be ranked 19th. Had she competed at both of her GPs and placed 7th in both of them she would also be ranked 19th.

Let's say Osmond did both: came 7th at 4CC, and 7th in her GP events (when she probably would have come around 5th at 4CC, and done way better than 7th in her GP), she would be ranked 15th.

Now let's say Osmond came 5th at 4CC and 5th in both of her GP events, which is realistic given the results of those competitions and her 170 score at Worlds... she'd be ranked 11th, higher than Kim.

I know you hate Osmond, but being out of the top 24 means as much as Kim being out of the top 10. :rolleye:

But if you want to take the rankings at face value... sure... let's have a look... oh, interesting... Gold (who according to you was slated to win or even medal at Olympics/Worlds) is not even in the top 5. :disapp: Although old, worn-out Wagner is 4th. :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim is 11th because she didn't compete in the GP in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. Of course, she DID win Worlds 2014 and the 2014 Olympic silver medal and an International B in both 2012 and 2013.

And no, Osmond being out of the top 24 does NOT mean as much as Kim being out of the top 10. Kim is an Olympic Champion, multiple World Champion and a multiple GPF Champion. Her standing on the ISU World Standings list means diddly squat in that context inasmuch as Kim has retired from the competitive scene.

Osmond, OTOH, is a wannabe. Her only major championship so far is Skate Canada, back in 2012. Her placement on the ISU World Standing list IS significant because it shows that she has so far failed to live up to her early promise.

As for Gold, 6th on the list is amazingly good considering that she has risen from the 18th place she was in last year at this time. And once the list is updated for retirements, she will be in the top 5 (#5 Suzuki has retired).

BTW, Osmond was #32 on the list last year at this time. This year she is #30. With retirements, she might end up at #27 (Suzuki, Kim, Lacoste).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, seems like you and sky_fly are sipping the same tank of Kool-Aid.

Osmond was injured last season and couldn't compete on the GP/4CC. As I said, if she had poor results but still competed, she would be in the top 20, and if she came even top 5 in 4CC and her GPs she would have ranked 11th. So to attribute her ranking as due to poor ability or being a flash in the pan is simply inaccurate. And as inaccurate as attributing Kim's rank to her ability, even though it was due to a lack of competing (like Osmond) which was the point I was making.

Rankings don't mean everything. Edmunds is ranked lower than Osmond, as is Park, and I would call her a poor skater.

If Osmond stays healthy and does both of her GP events + 4CC this season, she will easily be in the top 15. If she stays healthy and skates well, she will easily be top 10.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And Gold rising from 18th to 6th is reflective of the fact that she had junior points going into her scores last season and now her ranking is reflective of purely senior results. 6th is impressive still but it's evident that there are others who are better than her. And this isn't even with the wave of Russian prospects. I have high hopes for Park but hope she doesn't have a relatively bad follow up season like Li.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edmunds is ranked lower than Osmond only because she has just one season of data. She did not skate at all internationally in 2012-2013, while Osmond had an 8th place at Worlds and a GP and International B win.

Edmunds did far outrank Osmond in the recent season, however, with two gold JGP medals and a 4th in the JGP, 9th in the Olympics, and 8th at Worlds 2014. Osmond bailed out of her lone GP and placed 13th in the Olympics and 11th at Worlds. On the Seasons World Ranking list, Edmunds is #17 and Osmond is #70 http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm Gold is #6 and Wagner is #8.

BTW Osmond couldn't have competed in 4CC this past season because NONE of the Olympic-bound skaters from NA did. It made no sense for skaters to lose that much training time to jet lag right before Sochi.

As for this coming season, Osmond will be facing the same tough Russian competition as all the US skaters. The Russian ladies (and Gracie) have 7 triple free skates and Osmond cannot match that with her limited jump repertoire. They also now have a PCS edge given their high placements at Olympics/Worlds. It isn't going to be that easy for Kaetlyn to regain lost ground.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Exactly. I don't see why Edmunds and Kim get a pass for essentially only one season of data but Osmond doesn't, given her injuries causing her to miss the past GP season. And to boot she was only given one GP in 2012, and having won it she could have potentially made the GPF if she had another GP assignment that season. And as you said 4CC was close to the Olympics so attending that and easily boosting herself into the top 20 would have been possible if not for the Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edmunds didn't "get a pass". That was her first international season EVER and she skated very, very well. In fact, it is quite unprecedented for a skater to do the first half of the season as a junior and the second half at Olympics and Worlds and finish top 10 at both Senior events.

Kim has had her share of injuries too. She has a chronic back injury (bulging discs in her lower back) which cause her severe pain and limit her ability to do layback spins. That is why she withdrew from the GP in the 2012-2013 season and didn't do the GP this past season. Over her career she has been very careful with her competitions so as not to aggravate the injury. Despite that, she has amassed Olympic gold and silver, two World Championships, a 4CC Championship, 3 GPF Championships, a JW Championship and a JGPF Championship. She has never finished off the podium at any competition in which she has participated.

As for what Kaetlyn would have done had she gone to 4CC, looking at her Sochi FS and the FSs of the top skaters at 4CC, she wouldn't have fared that well at 4CC if she had gone. In the SP, the top 8 all did 3/3s; Kaetlyn did only 3t+2t at Sochi and stepped out of the 2a, and she landed only 4 triples in the FS. In the 4CC FS, some of the top ladies landed 6 or 7 triples and most landed 5. At best, she might have finished 6th or 7th.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Personally I am not sold on Edmunds. Won two JGP against extremely weak competition. At JPG final was beaten out by three girls 2 years younger than her and just missed being beaten out by a fourth.

US Nationals for the women is like an event with no real competition.

At Olympics basically finished at the bottom of the group of girls that were at all viable. Worlds same thing.

I think it was a respectable start but I don't think she did anything that some of these girls younger than her couldn't have done.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmm, username YLFan and immediately starts on the bashing of Edmunds.

Gee...