The diverse beauty of American lady figure skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The diverse beauty of American lady figure skaters

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My goodness, what fascinating photos of Sasha. The photographer must have been delighted to have a subject flexible enough to take just about any pose and bring out its beauty as well as its cutting-edge oddness.

LOL: I got excited seeing the first photo that I never scrolled down to see the others. Nice lay back position, actually nice positions period.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is just bait for skyfly :biggrin::popcorn:

Yup...and it worked, too, right? :slink:

Aside from that, opinions about looks are so very subjective and based entirely on personal taste. (BlackPack, our exchanges re: Alexei Urmanov come to mind... :biggrin:). This thread could run to 1,000 pages and still not reach a consensensus.

I think the real point is, as skateluvr suggests, to celebrate each woman's unique qualities without trying to fit them into "types" or comparing them to others.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No list would be complete without Alissa Czisny.

How did we miss her? :think:

Czisny was not overlooked. :) (I mentioned her on the previous page.)

Happy to make note that our skating beauties are so abundant that it is difficult to keep track of every name in this thread ... and to keep track of all the eye candy that they and others (past and present) have given us. Lucky us. :yes:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Again, no one has a monopoly on beauty ... or on any subjective subcategorization within the subjective realm of beauty.
Not Wagner, not Gold, not anyone. (And as the thread title reflects, not women of any particular race.)

This! :clap:

BusyMom

Medalist
Czisny was not overlooked. :) (I mentioned her on the previous page.)

Happy to make note that our skating beauties are so abundant that it is difficult to keep track of every name in this thread ... and to keep track of all the eye candy that they and others (past and present) have given us. Lucky us. :yes:
:laugh: Oops. Sorry.

One thing I don't get it though, is it in the air (in the rink especially)? If we take the word American out from the topic, the list will go on and on. Definitely making it impossible to keep track. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:laugh: Oops. Sorry.

One thing I don't get it though, is it in the air (in the rink especially)? If we take the word American out from the topic, the list will go on and on. Definitely making it impossible to keep track. ;)

No apology necessary, BusyMom. I hope that I did not sound as if I were complaining.
Celebrating as many ladies as possible as much as possible is what this thread should be all about, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Totally agree :agree: that the length of an international list also would immediately grow out of control. :cool: (And the same would be true for lists of men.)

desertskates

Medalist
I think the Ashley and Gracie Cover Girl photos were based on the girls' coloring. Ashley has yellow based "warm" undertones. Gracie is blue based and cooler. Maybe part of the reason Ashley skated in yellow and Gracie in blue?
They did a great job with each girl.
Please forgive my over analysis, my mom is an esthetician.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Are we talking "beauty" in terms of physical looks, or skating style? From the OP I'll guess the former.

In that case, I'd likely be coming at this from a different POV than most posters here, given the board demographics, but I always thought Wagner had naturally good looks. No one else really seems to mention it so maybe I'm alone here. She doesn't need all that Covergirl stuff.

OTOH, I find Gold and Cohen to be overrated in these types of discussions. Yes, they're alright...but :slink: ...

Czisny's just OK to me in street clothes. This is all ultra-subjective stuff, as you can tell...

As a disclaimer, this is totally independent of my thoughts about their skating

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's interesting to read that some people find Mirai Nagasu and Christina Gao pretty. As someone of Asian descent, I find them to be average bordering on "not good-looking" (especially Mirai). I wonder, do we evaluate people differently when they are "the Other" to us?

(I'm not objecting to people who like Mirai or Christina. But I think it's worth discussing aesthetics and beauty, rather than just yelling, "Everyone's beautiful in their own way!"--because what would be left to discuss there?)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's interesting to read that some people find Mirai Nagasu and Christina Gao pretty. As someone of Asian descent, I find them to be average bordering on "not good-looking" (especially Mirai). I wonder, do we evaluate people differently when they are "the Other" to us?

(I'm not objecting to people who like Mirai or Christina. But I think it's worth discussing aesthetics and beauty, rather than just yelling, "Everyone's beautiful in their own way!"--because what would be left to discuss there?)

I actually think Christina is beautiful. There's something very Arakawa-esque about her. http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Christina+Gao+ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+SZmecj8DqL0l.jpg

Mirai is more "cute" to me.

Discussing aesthetics and beauty is always going to come down to it's in the eye of the beholder. This isn't like arguing if Joubert is more handsome than Reynolds. The US ladies all have a unique beauty and aesthetic to each of them. I think most of us disagree that Gracie is classic Hollywood, but if sky_fly wants to think so, her opinion will hardly be changed and she's entitled to that (even if she keeps parroting it thread in and thread out).

I actually think Christina is beautiful. There's something very Arakawa-esque about her. http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Christina+Gao+ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+SZmecj8DqL0l.jpg

Discussing aesthetics and beauty is always going to come down to it's in the eye of the beholder. This isn't like arguing if Joubert is more handsome than Reynolds. The US ladies all have a unique beauty and aesthetic to each of them. I think most of us disagree that Gracie is classic Hollywood, but if sky_fly wants to think so, her opinion will hardly be changed and she's entitled to that (even if she keeps parroting it thread in and thread out).

I agree that Gao reminds me of Arakawa. I'm glad someone else sees the resemblance. To me Mirai is cute also, rather than beautiful. Caroline Zhang is beautiful these days, though.

I also agree that Gracie doesn't look like "classic Hollywood." If there's a blonde film-goddess type, the one who most fits it to me is Kiira Korpi of Finland. Gracie is undeniably very pretty in her own right, of course. More like a prom queen than a queen of the silver screen, as several have pointed out already. Or more like what used to be called a starlet than a star. Things could change as time goes on, of course. Gracie is just a teenager. When Kristi Yamaguchi was in her early twenties, she was a cute kid, pleasant-looking but kind of unformed. Later, as her looks refined, she became beautiful.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^^I think it's the eyes for me. Christina and Mirai's eyes are too small and narrow. I know there's a perception that all Asians have eyes like that, but for most of us, big eyes are a sign of beauty. Of course, it's not just the features, but also the way those features fit together. ;)

I find Shizuka quite beautiful, btw. Ditto Yuna and Mao, though in completely different ways. Miki is extremely striking. And I've already stated my adoration for Michelle. (Lest anyone think I'm biased against Asians, haha.)

I can't get behind saying all the US ladies are beautiful. I don't personally find them all beautiful, and I'm not going to say they are if I don't think so. I don't think everyone needs to be beautiful. I don't need to find all of them beautiful to enjoy their skating.

Not sure what you mean by Brian and Kevin? What do they have to do with this? :confused:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree with Sandsiper since I am also of Asian descent. Personally I don't find Gao or Mirai beautiful, maybe because of the way I was brought up aesthetically.

Mirai and Christina look... not very modern looking. Christina has distinct features, though.
I don't say they are not easy to the eyes, just...normal Asians couldn't call them great beauty. I guess different cultures have different tastes.;)

If you want to ask us who is pretty, then Yuna of course. Mao also looks pretty without heavy make up. :biggrin: Miki and Shizuka are beautiful, not just pretty.:) and Kwan looks like a noble princess in HongKong movies. :laugh:

Sometimes I find it a bit weird when Western people say we look all the same while we certainly not. I can easily tell who is who between 2 Asian people when you say "they are looking the same" because they definitely look different in our eyes. (someone said Hanyu looks like a K-pop singer whom I am not a fan of. Well, technically I was: seriously? They look totally different!) :disapp:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Hmm, seems like I'm onto something. What Asians think look pretty on Asians =/= what non-Asians think look pretty on Asians?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't get behind saying all the US ladies are beautiful. I don't personally find them all beautiful, and I'm not going to say they are if I don't think so. I don't think everyone needs to be beautiful. I don't need to find all of them beautiful to enjoy their skating.

Well said.

And I agree about Nagasu and Gao. I'm "meh" on them too. Not of Asian descent either.

TBH with you I find most (top-level, at least) skaters to be rather ordinary looking, frankly. In the end, it's not their looks that makes them worth watching.

Not sure what you mean by Brian and Kevin? What do they have to do with this? :confused:

CanadianSkaterGuy meant that Brian Joubert is clearly more handsome than Kevin Reynolds, whereas the U.S. ladies are all about the same, somewhere in the middle on the scale that runs from Reynolds (0) to Joubert (10). (Not a very nice comment regarding the men, IMHO.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
CanadianSkaterGuy meant that Brian Joubert is clearly more handsome than Kevin Reynolds, whereas the U.S. ladies are all about the same, somewhere in the middle on the scale that runs from Reynolds (0) to Joubert (10). (Not a very nice comment regarding the men, IMHO.)

Well, I've never thought Joubert was all that great-looking, TBH.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Discussing aesthetics and beauty is always going to come down to it's in the eye of the beholder. .... The US ladies all have a unique beauty and aesthetic to each of them.

I am of Asian descent, and Christina and Mirai both are beautiful to me. That said, I do understand why cute is the first word that some might think of regarding Mirai.

My opinion (no less subjective, but no more subjective than anyone else's) is that certain "usual suspects" tend to be overrated in "beauty" threads like this one, whereas others tend to be underrated.
The bottom line for me is what CSG said: each U.S. lady has her own unique beauty. I like to find/see beauty wherever I can. :yes: YMMV.