Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Idol 4/7

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Originally posted by Pati
    IMO, popularity is as much a part of the package as talent. John does have a nice singing voice, but he just hasn't been showing that in this competition. His best performance was his audition, and since then its been downhill. To be a singing idol of any type, you have to sing well consistantly. I think there should be 1 vote and only one vote per phone number. Too much is riding on this for too many hopefuls, and to lose because someone thinks so and so is cute is wrong. After all, this is a singing contest the last time I looked.
    As usual, that's just my opinion.
    Totally agree with you. Tho in this case it's not the John Stevens thing I'm objecting to as much as the Jon Peter Lewis thing. Yeah, he's adorable. Pretty darn cute. However, his singing has degenerated into PAINFULLY BAD. And yet, there he is, and there Amy Adams (who was erratic but more talented IMO) is not. For those who think he is SO ADORABLE that he should be kept in (and quite frankly no-one is adorable enough to get away with singing that badly), I say this: Find some pics of him. Tape him while he's still on. Make a scrapbook, watch the tapes over and over. Do not make the rest of us, who are watching this because we want to see some talent and are not looking for someone to sigh over, have to LISTEN TO HIM week after week. A mute button only has so many clicks in it, after all.

THIS WAS NEVER POP IDOL! You want POP IDOL go to Brittan... this is AMERICAN IDOL which means ALL STYLES ARE WELCOME!
    I thought that they were looking for a pop star. Don't know why I thought that though.

As for John Stevens and JPL, I think that for the style he sings in John Stevens is the better singer. It would be very difficult IMO to change his style, he is what he is. I'm not sure what the market for that is. OTOH JPL has been awful. His movement is even worse than his singing. BUT... I think that by working with a vocal coach, dance instructor, and choreographer he could be an OK pop performer (although he still looks too much like a young George W. Bush to be likeable IMO :D) .

Jennifer just doesn't look like she is having fun performing her numbers.

that's what it originated from... but last season with Josh Gracin... Simon said several times that American Idol couldn't be set in one style because of the diversity of the US... he said that's what made AI better than Pop Idol in GB... I think it was Entertainment Tonight that he said that... it was one of those shows anyway LOL

as for John Stevens... Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr. have been very successful... and Michael Bublé on Ryan Seacrest's show said that John could have the same success... and that Michael was a fan (how cool is that?? LOL)

Toni,

Who is Michael Buble'? Harry Connick Jr.'s career got a huge boost from the "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack. I would think that being on AI would give John Stevens as much if not more exposure. He seems like such a nice kid that I feel bad for him singing these songs that are just not him. I don't know if this was the first week or not but I noticed they took the flat iron to his hair. It's unfortunate that because of the red hair he probably gets a lot of the "he's no Clay Aiken" bit. Clay, IMO was more of a diamond in the rough. With John S. there's nothing wrong with his look other than he is just SOOOO clean cut.

yeah well Clay was taking after Ryan... personally I think that's the only way the hair stylists know how to do guys' hair! LOL

Michael Bublé was the guy who was the guest singer in Kurt's Gotta Skate this year... he is also on the "Down With Love" soundtrack

Jamie and David's "Come Fly With Me" program was sung by Michael Bublé

With John S. there's nothing wrong with his look other than he is just SOOOO clean cut.
    And Clay wasn't??? LOL John is just trying to channel his inner Frankie I like how he wears teh suits when he sings... but then he's back to being a teen on the result shows...

Clay didn't look as neat as John.

Custom Woman
    Actually I remember Simon saying on AI to AI contestants that they were looking for someone who could be a pop star. There have definitely been those in the top 32 who had show voices who were told during the auditions for the final 12 that their voices were too *Broadway* for AI. That's probably where you got it from, Piel.

As for what Simon said on "Entertainment Tonight" or whatever about America's eclectic tastes, Simon also said on his "Biography" that he can't hear pitch, and obviously he can and has commented on it. So much for Simon "180-degree" Cowell, lol. Seriously, the show was a clone of the UK's Pop Idol for a very simple reason: Pop music is still the most *popular* music and the AI people are not in it to make stars, they're in it to make money.

Anyway, moot point since Toni heard what she heard and sees AI as being open to any style, as is her privilege. Although I do take issue with you describing other people's feelings towards John Stevens as "hate him with a passion." Has anyone said anything negative about JS as a person? No. As anyone said, "I hate that guy with a passion!" No. All I've seen anybody say is that he's a talented singer who is one of several things: (a) too young for this competition; (b) needs to grow into his voice; (c) a nice kid; (d) doesn't have enough range for AI; (e) has had some awful (or choose your negative adjective) performances or (f) should have been in the bottom three instead of certain other people.

We all understand having a favorite singer that just "does it" for you, but you act as if we're attacking you, Toni, and nobody is. People are complaining about the AI system, which shouldn't be a surprise to anybody since it's been the subject of articles from ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY to MSNBC.com. People are just saying, "What's wrong with this picture?" Your favorite AI contestant is in the midst of a controversy. Nobody here is saying they hate him and I personally don't appreciate being told that I hate someone *with a passion* when I don't feel anything of the sort. OTOH, you say things about Fantasia such as "Who died and made her god?" and "She thinks she's a lot more than what she really is." I don't mean to get on your case, Toni. We all say things that don't come out how we thought they would.

One thing's for sure: These AI contestants are getting a great lesson in how crazy and unfair life can be, which actually, is good training for the music business.
    Rgirl

actually saying "Teens are voting" and saying that we don't really vote for the best just for someone our age or for sex appeal was attacking me in a way... and that's been said on several posts...

yes I over reacked with the hating with a passion... but really it's like this kid can do nothing right here... I am not offended with anything other than being his fan makes me somewhat wrong in the fact that I'm a "teenager" so I must not know enough to make the right decision... that's where I take offense... no one complained with the massive voting people did for Clay... but this year that's all anybody online complains about online... is the JPL/John Stevens/Camille fan groups and how they just vote and don't care...

yes Clay was more talented than this entire group of 12... BUT he had some not so great performances and no one thought twice...

Oh Toni, please don't take offense. When I mentioned the teens/tweens that I know about and their voting I certainly didn't mean that you voted for those reasons. From personal experience I know that as teens my friends and I would spend entire evenings on the telephone trying to get through to call in request line on WKAZ just to hear our names, friends names, school's name on th radio. or to ask them to play "Hooked on a Feeling" (B.J. Thomas version )one more time. LOL Since there was no call waiting, redial feature, cell phones, and most homes only had one phone line this was very irritating to parents. Now I can't imagine spending that much time trying to make a phone call but then again I did a lot of things in my younger days that I can't imagine doing now (see other threads:D )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2