American Idol 4/7 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/7

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The votes are in. Tonight they divided them into three groups the top three, middle three and bottom three.
SPOILER

Top...
George
Latoya
Jennifer

Middle...
JP:eek:
John:eek:
Fantasia
:eek:

Bottom (in order)...
Diane
Jazmine:eek:
Camille

Piel already said, so just a brief SPOILER warning: Don't read further if you don't want to read who got voted off. This also includes what I thought of last night.

Camillle is gone. When she sang "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" tonght, I realized she changed the lyrics last night. I don't mean the "I love you" tonight, but the "back to the islands of Maui and home." Last night I was wondering why the words didn't fit the music.
I wonder if Elton approved it.

I'm glad this girl was put out of her and our misery. Paula said she's a rhythm and blues singer. I can see her being a smoky bluesy jazz cabaret singer, but nothing big.

BUT DAMN!!! Aloft, that article got it EXACTLY right. ROFL over "The People." So true! In NY, ride the subway when school is getting out on the day of AI and you see groups of teenage girls COVERED with buttons and bows and gunk of all kind identifying them as a JPL, John Stevens, Diana DeGarmo. The guys are hot for Camille, but it's not as bad as the other three. I've literally seen a group of girls hand out flyers on the day of AI, prior to any performances, saying, "AMERICAN IDOL! VOTE FOR JOHN PETER LEWIS!"

The writer is also so right that People make these AI contestants into a short-term hobby, or I would say "crush," and don't provide a longterm fan base. Although I agree with the writer that Clay Aiken was the first People AIer, I think Clay's post-AI CD sales plus the fact that he can really sing and really perform bode well for his longevity. But I encourage everyone to read that article. It pounds the nail on the head. (Rgal--the writer describes Diana as "disturbingly robotic." I swear, lol.)

As for tonight, although I agree with Camille going, I'm disgusted that John Stevens and/or JPL was not in the B3. I'm not a fan of Diana, but she was still better than JS and JPL. I wrote down "excruciating" for JS's "Crocodile Rock." I understand other people saying, "Good for him for trying something different," but I don't think he was really trying to be different. I felt he fell back on doing a "cute" rendition of "CR" rather than a risky version. At least when I voted on "Who is/was the worst AI contestant?" JS was way ahead with 49% of the vote.

ITA with Show that JS is just too young. He needs to grow into his voice, as well as his style, his personality, everything. From the early bios, John apparently is the #1 singer at his high school and one of the top singers in his state high school choral. So I don't think he's really met with "the real world" when it comes to his singing or his life. Same with Diana DeGarmo. I also agree with the writer of that article. It's not their fault that their doing these awful performances week after week. For one thing, the judges chose them over older contestants, and for another, their PEOPLE are pushing them through no matter how they perform.

JPL, however, does not have the excuse of being 16. Taking account his relative maturity, I'd put him at the bottom of last night's performances and at the bottom of the whole group. He gets worse every week; whoever said he massacred "Rocket Man" used exactly the right word; and while I could hear a good voice in there as long as I kept my eyes closed during the first week of the competition, he's lost even that. I think the JPL PEOPLE would be doing him a favor by staying OFF the phones, letting this guy go home, follow Simon's advice and get some voice lessons, and then start over with a real attempt at a career. I know, he's going on the AI tour no matter what, but I mean between now and then. I can see this guy doing well in Branson, Missouri as a performer, but where I really see him doing well is in advertising and studio work. That's where the really steady work is anyway--IF he can get his pitch problems solved.

Jasmine had a rough night, but there's no excuse for her being second to last. Rgal, I did remember what you said about the "gift spot" (because naughty me keeps thinking "G spot":p) and if you've ever tried to sing an Elton song, you will have no doubt that you're absolutely right about them being for low and high ranges. Part of the reason not too many singers do them is for that reason. At least tonight Jasmine sounded much better than she did last night. I think lack of nerves and not trying to power through it did her a world of good. She even did okay on those last two notes on "me." Last night, especially the first "me" was a glass-breaking experience, but she was nowhere near as bad compared to JS's voice cracking on the first falsetto "la" and JPL doing an octave trip-and-fall instead of an octave jump during "Rocket Man."

The B3 just should have been JPL, Camille, and JS. Next week DeGarmo can be in the B3, unless she suddenly discovers her true self and learns how to express real feeling in a song.

However, having b****ed about the B3, I thought the voters got the Top 3 absolutely right. Now that I keep my eyes closed before George even comes on stage, I'm a total convert--although I do agree the squats have to go. He'd make a great candidate for the first Bobble Butt doll, though. He was great and I agree that doing a relatively unknown Elton song was wise.

LaToya--man, she's an itty bitty thing--was very good and LOOKED very good. She needs to stay away from pants and stick to full cut skirts or dresses. I love her thighs, but on TV, an ivory satin pants suit does all the wrong things to her.

I've liked Jennifer Hudson's voice from the start. She's getting rid of the mannerisms, she's not pushing so hard, and she picked a great song for her. I don't think she's Idol material--I think her voice is still too niche-oriented--but I'd love to see her in the final five. I know people describe her voice as gospel, but I think it depends on your definition of gospel. Her voice is deep and low, which I like. If she can learn how to work with it, I'd love hearing her do pop standards with that kind of voice.

I've made no bones that I like Fantasia, but I do agree with Simon that she got screechy at times last night. I think she just pushed too hard. And I can't believe I have to keep saying this: According to an article in TV GUIDE, the producers instruct the contestants to ARGUE with the judges if they criticize them. The producers know that conflict makes for good TV. But in any case, Fantasia didn't sass Simon. He said it was her weakest performance, etc. She said, "I loved it, I had a good time!" She's just a fly girl, that's all. Any woman who's a single mother the way Fantasia has no doubt been--ie, very little money--has that child and reality to bring her down to earth every day. Though I think a lot of times the strength they need to get through life can come off to some people as arrogance, I think it's the kind of survival attitude a lot of women need. Besides, it's not like Madonna, Cher, Barbra, Aretha, Diana Ross, etc. were ever Miss Humble.

Having said that, I think it was good for her to be in the middle group and for Simon to criticize her. Notice that Fantasia asked Tamyra Gray her advice on how to take criticism. Tamyra, BTW, sounded and looked fabulous, which only underscores what kind of damage THE PEOPLE can do to a valid AI contestant. In AI-1, Justin Guarini definitely had People.

The writer of the article Aloft gave the link to also suggested that AI should change the format to voting for who should go instead of who should stay. I thought one vote per phone line might work, but given THE PEOPLE phenomenon, I'm sure there would be coordinated efforts to get every phone line in their town voting for their PERSON. OTOH, I wonder if the AI producers don't enjoy the controversy, hmm?
Rgirl

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good post, as usual, RGirl. I am wondering what the future of AI will be after this year, if truly talented singers get the "ax" way ahead of their time, and those with less talent remain because of a strong, biased fan base. By the by, which singers make the tour? Is it the last five remaining? And how in the heck did Jasmine (my fav) get in the bottom three? I voted for her, even though her voice was not at it's best last night based on her last performances (wow, would I make a great figure skating judge or what!!)............42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Poor Camille. I'm glad she sang before they announced her as this week's loser, because she was an emotional basket case after the announcement. I had such high hopes for her, but she just didn't grow with the experience. In fact, she regressed. Also, her voice is badly strained at this point and she really needs complete vocal rest before she does some real damage. :cry:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I actually think the reason they formatted the show this way, and let Jasmine & Camille sing before they gave the results, was BECAUSE of the fact that Camille was the one voted out. Given her propensity for bursting into tears more times than Oksana Bayul, they probably figured she'd be too much of a mess after the results were read to even form words. And I'm glad they had the good grace not to ask Simon for his opinion on the matter -- I didn't care for Camille, either, but Simon was at times just mercilessly creul. She seems like a very sweet girl and I do wish her luck. Just not really in the music field, to be honest.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Oh, and as an addendum:

Was Tamyra Gray totally trying to channel Whitney Houston or what? I liked the song and I like her, but that was just downright creepy. And if she loses much more weight, the channelling will be complete; she was TOO skinny.

And Julia D'Amato has a SINGLE coming out? What is up with THAT? Are record deals being thrown out this year the way 6s were being thrown out at the Worlds, to just about ANYBODY??

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Jonny, take a look at Amazon.com and type in American Idol. There are currently 17 C.D.'s available from as far back as season one.........I must admit, I'm becoming an AI junkie, and own about 7 of the titles listed, and just ordered two more today......:p 42

guinevere

Final Flight
I don't know if this happened everywhere, but here they muted out the website Julia mentioned as the place to get her single, so unless you read lips, you wouldn't know where to go. Guess it's not a 19 Entertainment-sanctioned recording! :eek: :D Not like I probably couldn't find it pretty easily though, heh.

Absolutely no surprise that John and JPL were not even in the bottom 3. Big surprise that Jasmine was the second-lowest vote getter! And I'm pretty sure that Camille only changed the words of "Yellow Brick Road" for tonight's goodbye performance, RGirl. I'm positive she sang it with the correct words last night. She clearly knew she was going home. I was also glad that Simon did not get to say any parting words about Camille.

Go George, Jennifer and LaToya! :love:

I was thrilled to see Tamyra and hear her perform. I have yet to see another person in American Idol combine her vocal talent with her stage presence. The song she wrote was a very nice surprise, too. I'm so glad to see her taking full advantage of the opportunities she's had since AI. VERY Whitney look, circa late '80s (pre-durg probs, pre-total skeletal look). :love:Tamyra!:love:

And finally, Fantasia's non-singing attitude is losing me quickly. Her clear disdain at being lumped in a group with John and JPL was totally classless. I'm guessing she though it was the bottom group, but that doesn't excuse her behaviour. I think this is what will cost Fantasia the game, not her singing (well, the "yea yea yea"s will have something to do with it too).

And, based on his short solo in the group number, I wish that John had gotten to sing "Daniel" last night. It sounded like a good match for his voice and even his Teen Martin style.

guinevere

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
guinevere said:

And finally, Fantasia's non-singing attitude is losing me quickly. Her clear disdain at being lumped in a group with John and JPL was totally classless. I'm guessing she though it was the bottom group, but that doesn't excuse her behaviour. I think this is what will cost Fantasia the game, not her singing (well, the "yea yea yea"s will have something to do with it too).

And, based on his short solo in the group number, I wish that John had gotten to sing "Daniel" last night. It sounded like a good match for his voice and even his Teen Martin style.

guinevere

I'm starting to come to that side re. Fantasia myself. I absolutely love her voice (which combines the qualities of Macy Gray and Erykah Badu, two artists I absolutely love) and would buy her CD in a minute, but she's gotta learn to ZIP IT. Tuesday night was one thing, but that "Randy and Paula liked it" from last night officially put her into "OK, DROP IT" territory. What has Simon ever said to her that has been all that bad, anyway? Especially compared to some of the stuff he's said to others? I've heard stated in many places that the consensus is that the final may come down to Fantasia vs. LaToya, and if it does, ITA agree with you that behavior may well be the deciding factor, given how undeniably classy LaToya is. (As far as her disdain for being in the group with Stevens and JPL, well, I gotta say if I were her, given how JPL performed last night, I'd be rather irritated myself, tho I hope I would have hidden it better.)

re. "Daniel": Actually, JPL started that one off, and I was actually thinking that's the song HE should have picked. I think anything would have been a better choice than "Rocket Man". I think Stevens doing "Your Song" or "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" would have been interesting. Maybe not necessarily succesful, but interesting. He's definitely too mellow for "Crocodile Rock". Actually, I think he's too mellow for this entire competition. He's a talented guy, but seems just extremely laid-back and IMO is one of these people who can only get SO energetic. (Actually, I think of him as the Todd Eldredge of this competition -- talented, steady, polished [vocally] [despite the tendency to forget words], classy -- but not exactly a performer to tear the roof off the place.)

mike79

On the Ice
Personally I find Latoya to be the arrogant one, not Fantasia. I find that Fantasia puts herself on display for everyone to see; she doesn't hold anything back. I find her refreshing when we have people like Diana who seem trained to say everything right.

Latoya comes across like she thinks she's better than everyone else and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with all of the kids. Of course this is JMO.

Why JPL and John were not in the bottom 3 is ridiculous. We can most definitely say that these two are attracting the teen vote after this week. Jasmine and Diana, both who were sick, blew them out of the water.

I think we'll see Jasmine for a long time. Since Camille is gone Hawaii will be voting for their lone representative. That's not including the fact that Jasmine is near the top of every poll regarding AI.

If I was betting, I would pick Diana or Jennifer to go next week. If it were my choice, JPL and John would be the next two gone.

guinevere

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
re. "Daniel": Actually, JPL started that one off, and I was actually thinking that's the song HE should have picked...
I thought so, too, when JPL started singing it, but when I heard John, well, it seems like so few songs really fit with his natural style, and "Daniel" sounded so good coming out of him (at least for that line) that I thought he should've had it. But it would have been a good choice for either of them.

However, song choice for those two seems to be a moot point, because they are clearly in no danger no matter what they sing!

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
can I just say that I really think it's funny that all of you hate JS with a passion... and yet he's doing so well... and not all of us are in it for some sort of sex appeal(quite frankly his face looks like a 12 year olds... I find nothing attractive about him)... and others--like myself--actually vote because he's different.

THIS WAS NEVER POP IDOL! You want POP IDOL go to Brittan... this is AMERICAN IDOL which means ALL STYLES ARE WELCOME! Yes the majority is pop, but hey America has horrible music tastes :laugh:

AI 1 had a horrible top 12 too... and yet Kelly was able to make it... and has done very well! Ruben and Justin are the ones of the top 4 from the last two years who have disappeared! :eek: so yes obviously America is not sure what they want... but then again my big problem with Ruben was the fact that his album was completely not what I expected him to sing.

That being said KELLY, CLAY, JOSH, TAMYRA, JUSTIN and some other have stuck with the style that they sang on American Idol... and it works... AND I think that's why a lot of people are picking John... because he's got a different style, they know he's not going to fit every genre--I don't think he's a bad singer, I think he's a very unflexable singer in that his voice just doesn't work... that's not a bad thing, I really don't see Frank Sinatra being able to pull off an Elton John song either--and they know that he's not going to go from AI Crooner to Hip Hop wanna-be...

so there's my little defense of Johnny and myself! :laugh:

guinevere

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
can I just say that I really think it's funny that all of you hate JS with a passion... and yet he's doing so well... and not all of us are in it for some sort of sex appeal (quite frankly his face looks like a 12 year olds... I find nothing attractive about him)... and others--like myself--actually vote because he's different.
I don't hate John at all. As I've said repeatedly, I think he seems like a really nice guy, and he was one of my favorites from the audition rounds. But the promise he showed in early rounds has not come through. What I 'hate with a passion' is people who call themselves his fans, who vote for him, while admitting that he is not singing well in this competition. I feel sorry for John that people who allegedly support him are putting him through this.

I am not at all a fan of pop music. If you look at my cd collection you'll find punk, new wave, alternative, dance music, singer/songwriter chicks and even a couple of hip hop albums (trying to keep up with the hipsters, doncha know), but no contemporary pop music at all. But I know that, unlike the 3rd place World Idol finalist, in the US we will not get an Idol winner singing Nirvana. I don't believe that all styles are welcome in American Idol at all! So I play armchair judge based on the songs the contestants are made to sing. If they don't sing these songs well, they shouldn't win this competition.

Here's a link to an interesting article about the John Stevens phenomenon:
http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article1483.art&page=1

guinevere

Pati

On the Ice
IMO, popularity is as much a part of the package as talent. John does have a nice singing voice, but he just hasn't been showing that in this competition. His best performance was his audition, and since then its been downhill. To be a singing idol of any type, you have to sing well consistantly. I think there should be 1 vote and only one vote per phone number. Too much is riding on this for too many hopefuls, and to lose because someone thinks so and so is cute is wrong. After all, this is a singing contest the last time I looked.
As usual, that's just my opinion.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Pati said:
IMO, popularity is as much a part of the package as talent. John does have a nice singing voice, but he just hasn't been showing that in this competition. His best performance was his audition, and since then its been downhill. To be a singing idol of any type, you have to sing well consistantly. I think there should be 1 vote and only one vote per phone number. Too much is riding on this for too many hopefuls, and to lose because someone thinks so and so is cute is wrong. After all, this is a singing contest the last time I looked.
As usual, that's just my opinion.

Totally agree with you. Tho in this case it's not the John Stevens thing I'm objecting to as much as the Jon Peter Lewis thing. Yeah, he's adorable. Pretty darn cute. However, his singing has degenerated into PAINFULLY BAD. And yet, there he is, and there Amy Adams (who was erratic but more talented IMO) is not. For those who think he is SO ADORABLE that he should be kept in (and quite frankly no-one is adorable enough to get away with singing that badly), I say this: Find some pics of him. Tape him while he's still on. Make a scrapbook, watch the tapes over and over. Do not make the rest of us, who are watching this because we want to see some talent and are not looking for someone to sigh over, have to LISTEN TO HIM week after week. A mute button only has so many clicks in it, after all.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
THIS WAS NEVER POP IDOL! You want POP IDOL go to Brittan... this is AMERICAN IDOL which means ALL STYLES ARE WELCOME!

I thought that they were looking for a pop star. Don't know why I thought that though.

As for John Stevens and JPL, I think that for the style he sings in John Stevens is the better singer. It would be very difficult IMO to change his style, he is what he is. I'm not sure what the market for that is. OTOH JPL has been awful. His movement is even worse than his singing. BUT... I think that by working with a vocal coach, dance instructor, and choreographer he could be an OK pop performer (although he still looks too much like a young George W. Bush to be likeable IMO :D) .

Jennifer just doesn't look like she is having fun performing her numbers.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that's what it originated from... but last season with Josh Gracin... Simon said several times that American Idol couldn't be set in one style because of the diversity of the US... he said that's what made AI better than Pop Idol in GB... I think it was Entertainment Tonight that he said that... it was one of those shows anyway LOL

as for John Stevens... Michael Bublé and Harry Connick Jr. have been very successful... and Michael Bublé on Ryan Seacrest's show said that John could have the same success... and that Michael was a fan (how cool is that?? LOL)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Toni,

Who is Michael Buble'? Harry Connick Jr.'s career got a huge boost from the "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack. I would think that being on AI would give John Stevens as much if not more exposure. He seems like such a nice kid that I feel bad for him singing these songs that are just not him. I don't know if this was the first week or not but I noticed they took the flat iron to his hair. It's unfortunate that because of the red hair he probably gets a lot of the "he's no Clay Aiken" bit. Clay, IMO was more of a diamond in the rough. With John S. there's nothing wrong with his look other than he is just SOOOO clean cut.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah well Clay was taking after Ryan... personally I think that's the only way the hair stylists know how to do guys' hair! LOL

Michael Bublé was the guy who was the guest singer in Kurt's Gotta Skate this year... he is also on the "Down With Love" soundtrack

Jamie and David's "Come Fly With Me" program was sung by Michael Bublé

With John S. there's nothing wrong with his look other than he is just SOOOO clean cut.

And Clay wasn't??? LOL John is just trying to channel his inner Frankie ;) I like how he wears teh suits when he sings... but then he's back to being a teen on the result shows...