American Idol 4/7 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/7

Actually I remember Simon saying on AI to AI contestants that they were looking for someone who could be a pop star. There have definitely been those in the top 32 who had show voices who were told during the auditions for the final 12 that their voices were too *Broadway* for AI. That's probably where you got it from, Piel.

As for what Simon said on "Entertainment Tonight" or whatever about America's eclectic tastes, Simon also said on his "Biography" that he can't hear pitch, and obviously he can and has commented on it. So much for Simon "180-degree" Cowell, lol. Seriously, the show was a clone of the UK's Pop Idol for a very simple reason: Pop music is still the most *popular* music and the AI people are not in it to make stars, they're in it to make money.

Anyway, moot point since Toni heard what she heard and sees AI as being open to any style, as is her privilege. Although I do take issue with you describing other people's feelings towards John Stevens as "hate him with a passion." Has anyone said anything negative about JS as a person? No. As anyone said, "I hate that guy with a passion!" No. All I've seen anybody say is that he's a talented singer who is one of several things: (a) too young for this competition; (b) needs to grow into his voice; (c) a nice kid; (d) doesn't have enough range for AI; (e) has had some awful (or choose your negative adjective) performances or (f) should have been in the bottom three instead of certain other people.

We all understand having a favorite singer that just "does it" for you, but you act as if we're attacking you, Toni, and nobody is. People are complaining about the AI system, which shouldn't be a surprise to anybody since it's been the subject of articles from ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY to MSNBC.com. People are just saying, "What's wrong with this picture?" Your favorite AI contestant is in the midst of a controversy. Nobody here is saying they hate him and I personally don't appreciate being told that I hate someone *with a passion* when I don't feel anything of the sort. OTOH, you say things about Fantasia such as "Who died and made her god?" and "She thinks she's a lot more than what she really is." I don't mean to get on your case, Toni. We all say things that don't come out how we thought they would.

One thing's for sure: These AI contestants are getting a great lesson in how crazy and unfair life can be, which actually, is good training for the music business.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually saying "Teens are voting" and saying that we don't really vote for the best just for someone our age or for sex appeal was attacking me in a way... and that's been said on several posts...

yes I over reacked with the hating with a passion... but really it's like this kid can do nothing right here... I am not offended with anything other than being his fan makes me somewhat wrong in the fact that I'm a "teenager" so I must not know enough to make the right decision... that's where I take offense... no one complained with the massive voting people did for Clay... but this year that's all anybody online complains about online... is the JPL/John Stevens/Camille fan groups and how they just vote and don't care...

yes Clay was more talented than this entire group of 12... BUT he had some not so great performances and no one thought twice...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Oh Toni, please don't take offense. When I mentioned the teens/tweens that I know about and their voting I certainly didn't mean that you voted for those reasons. From personal experience I know that as teens my friends and I would spend entire evenings on the telephone trying to get through to call in request line on WKAZ just to hear our names, friends names, school's name on th radio. or to ask them to play "Hooked on a Feeling" (B.J. Thomas version:) )one more time. LOL Since there was no call waiting, redial feature, cell phones, and most homes only had one phone line this was very irritating to parents. Now I can't imagine spending that much time trying to make a phone call but then again I did a lot of things in my younger days that I can't imagine doing now (see other threads:D )