Checking in | Golden Skate

Checking in

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've gotten a few emails asking if I'm "okay" since there are wildfires in "my area".

I am fine. The fires are 20+ miles away and I'm separated by a massive river and an Inlet. If the fire manages to get to me then the whole state will pretty much be screwed because the fire will have turned into an unstoppable monster.

I do have friends in the path of the fire, but so far everyone has been safe and no damage to people or structures has been reported. We do need rain, so if you're the praying sort please pray that the rains come.

Since I haven't been active much here lately, the best way to keep up with what's going on with the fire in relation to me is through my blog. I've been posting photos daily.

http://tonichelle.blogspot.com/search/label/wildfire

Thank you to all who were concerned, I really am fine. Please keep the crews fighting this insanely large fire in your thoughts and prayers.

Hi, Toni! A relief to hear from you. Thanks for updating us. I hope the crews stay safe and will keep them in mind.

Good to hear from you, Toni. Best wishes and good luck to all Alaskans this summer -- in fact, to everyone on the Western states.

BTW, your writing talent is blooming on your blog. And of course the photographs continue to be superb.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We've "unofficially" crossed over the 100,000 acre mark... but official numbers won't be in until sometime after they end for the night around 9pm.

MM - thanks for the compliments... not sure about my writing abilities but I'm pretty happy with how my photography's going... now if only business would pick up I'd be set.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stay safe, Toni. Thoughts & prayers for you & Alaska. Hope the situation is under control ASAP!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fire is 58% contained... they have control...

I was never in danger.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The cost to fight this fire is nearing 9million dollars. While the State of Alaska is footing the bill at the moment, most of it will be reimbursed by the US Gov't due to it mainly being on Federal Land.