Should Maks and Meryl start a reality show? | Golden Skate

Should Maks and Meryl start a reality show?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm thinking Meryl tries to teach Maks basic ice dance and cameos from the most popular pros in dance plus the people who were popular on dwts. Candace Bure could be teamed with her hubby who won BOB in Canada with Katia. Then whoever was a great dancer or very popular could be teamed up with pro ice dancers. I think we'd all love to see Nene leaks attempt skating. How about season ends with a competition =Charlie teaches Sharna, Christy teaches Mark Ballas. Johnny teaches ? Bruno? LOL. I think America may go for this if the ice dancers carefully picked the celebs and they skated over months, culminating is the Sequined Skate Trophy....would America watch?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Selfishly, i would say yes. I would love to see Maks trying to ice dance. I think he would do better than he thinks he can do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No No No We are true fans of skating but really enough is enough. Reality shows really have gone too far and been around too much. BAsed upon public's self esteem issues, voyeurism whatever half of the stuff is self induced or almost drama induced. Too many people trying to make a buck or become famous or stretch their 15 minutes of fame. Meryl is a wonderful person, charming, cute whatever but really it is kind of sad and what are the "odds" that she or anyone would be truly genuine stars after winning OGM and DWTS in another venue? Yes she will have opportunities because she has OGM but it cheapens her OGM ie. Ryan Lochte. Look at the Kadashians. Their dad was a famous top notch criminal lawyer who rose to fame with the OJ trial and then they all tried to get the fame and fortune everyone from the son to the daughters to the mom who happens to marry Bruce Jenner and OGM winnerwho happens to have body and face change issues to be diplomatic. I hope people including Meryl and Maks will LET IT GO! This should be the theme of many lol. Move on folks enjoy life.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Absolutely not. Meryl is far too classy for this sort of rubbish and absolutely no way do we want to cheapen the sport by doing something like that.

I still think, however, that the attitude towards male figure skaters in America could be vastly improved if a camera followed Max, Josh, Jason, Jeremy, Ricky, Adam et al around for a season. The amount of work these guys put in would blow a fair few minds, I imagine. No need for fake drama, just show the people how hard it is.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"Should Maks and Meryl start a reality show?"
... I think America may go for this if the ice dancers carefully picked the celebs and they skated over months, culminating is the Sequined Skate Trophy....would America watch?

Another resounding No. :no: :bang: :rolleye: :disagree: The thought turns my stomach.
I am American, and I definitely would not watch a show based on the concept in the OP -- although I like ice dance, and I like Meryl and Charlie.

.... I still think, however, that the attitude towards male figure skaters in America could be vastly improved if a camera followed Max, Josh, Jason, Jeremy, Ricky, Adam et al around for a season. The amount of work these guys put in would blow a fair few minds, I imagine. No need for fake drama, just show the people how hard it is.

If the question were: "Should Charlie and Meryl start a reality show?"

That's a totally different story. :yes:
I would be interested in the type of show that karne suggests, with either ice dance or men as the focus.

I also vote no. I think there's entirely too much manufactured "reality" on TV. Something that features skating and dancing, yes; but not a reality show.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Men's figure skating in the USA is about to get a big boost over the next Quad (or Quads) Cycle with all the young talent out there so it would be so intriguing to have a doco series (Whether on the serious side or the slightly trashy side) about them and the process to becoming competition ready. Maybe have a series leading to 2016 Worlds or even 2018 Olympics!

GF2445

Record Breaker
But to keep on topic, M/M's time is up. Unless they decide to dance together outside DWTS, I don't see this going so far but if they do....yes please :yes:

BusyMom

Medalist
Big no on M/M but might be good for D/W. Like UK Dancing on Ice, one of their episodes reaching 13m viewers which is a big thing where ice skating is not really that popular. People see how difficult to train as an ice dancers. Even hockey players found out the hard way how to handle the toe pick in Canadian's Battle of the Blades. Torvill and Dean's opening numbers in each episode was a bonus.

titatovenaar

Rinkside
Isn't DWTS already a pseudo reality show, with the behind the scene's clips they show before each dance? And there has already been a show called stars dancing on ice which used the DWTS formula with figure skating (at least over here in the netherlands). I don't know what Meryl & Maks could add to either of those concepts in their own show

KLMH

Spectator
I'd vote no to the idea of a reality show involving Meryl teaching Maks to ice dance, or bringing any DWTS pros over as the learners to be taught by Meryl, Charlie and other ice skaters. I'd vote yes to a 'day in the life' show or series involving Meryl and Charlie, or Meryl and Charlie and friends. I mean, the show could even look at different Olympics disciplines -- letting the average viewer get a glimpse of what life is like for athletes at that level.

slider11

Medalist
No thanks to the reality show. But I would love to see M and M in some sort of dance event, maybe similar to what Maks and Val are doing this summer. It could be one time or a traveling show like Stars on Ice. It sounds like Meryl and Charlie are committed to some things over the fall - hence the online courses for college. But maybe late fall/early winter Maks could put something together. I think Meryl truly enjoyed DWTS but is not a publicity hog and does not like the prolonged attention. She will enjoy a quieter summer with a few shows with Charlie and maybe some promotional things. She may branch on her own and do some commercials. I could see her as a Cover Girl. Beautiful, unique features!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Sounds like a good idea in theory but I don't want it to happen because reality TV is all about drama and they'll probably create some for the sake of it. For Tessa and Scott's show it was obvious they were trying to create a love triangle thing between Tessa and Scott's girlfriend but it felt really forced, and I don't think Tessa cared all that much. I don't want to see the same thing again

noskates

Record Breaker
No. Just no. REality shows are a farce - contrived, designed to titillate the viewer, and usually have no basis in "reality!" Meryl is better than that.

caitie

Medalist
I'd love a skating reality show in the US again, like Battle of the Blades or Skating with Celebrities (that six episode show Johnny Weir judged and Tanith hosted a few years back). I think that would be really fun. I think a reality show following several skaters on the Grand Prix would be interesting as well, that would rule out Meryl and Charlie probably since I don't expect them to compete next season (or probably ever again).

I'd also love love love a primetime drama focused on skaters! They could set it in Detroit and there could be all sorts of drama and pairs/ice dance teams in love and figure skaters falling in love with hockey players and all sorts of nonsense. And like Nashville has all those cameos from country music stars, there could be a bunch of cameos from ice skaters! /pie in the sky dreams, sigh

For Tessa and Scott's show it was obvious they were trying to create a love triangle thing between Tessa and Scott's girlfriend but it felt really forced

Yeah, that was pretty awkward. I think Scott in particular expected their reality show to really put it out there that he and Tessa weren't in love and he was dating this other girl (and I think that's probably why he allowed the cameras into that part of his life to begin with) but I read an interview where he seemed ambivalent about how it came off on the show -- he said he understood that the show needed to work an angle to be entertaining so he wasn't upset, but he didn't sound happy about it either. I thought they made Tessa seem like she was in love with Scott, and tried to make it seem like Scott had some sort of choice to make between her and his girlfriend, smh.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If a TV station wanted to go with a follow somebody around type reality show, they should follow Maks, Val, Tony and the extended Chmerkovskiy family. (Or maybe a reality show following all the DWTS pros as people.) Not only do they all totally understand the reality show concept, and the impact it has on a family's life, between DWTS and the Ukrainian version of the Bachelor; there are just more story lines there, because there are more people. If M&M continue to flirt, be friends, have a relationship, or do projects together, then D&W would have occasional appearances. Or not.

What I greedily want is more dancing and more skating on TV!