Should Maks and Meryl start a reality show? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Maks and Meryl start a reality show?

noskates

Record Breaker
Doris, TOTALLY agree. More dancing and more skating. Don't really like the shipping and the speculation because it isn't founded in anything other than the viewer's own projections.

So You Think You Can Dance starts this coming Wednesday night - one of my favorites, although there aren't any figure skaters competing. Tara Lipinski, however, will be a guest judge.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I only watched a little bit of Skating With The Stars (maybe one full episode) before I bailed. I don't think it worked because it takes years for skaters to master jumps and spins and whatnot, and they have to have a pretty solid athletic foundation to start with also. It's really boring to watch total novices starting from scratch. DWTS is a little easier since it's mostly just picking up choreography. I do think it would be cool to have a limited-run series kind of like the "Ice Age Cup Of Professionals" show in Russia, or a serious docu-series about FS that isn't a scripted reality show. While those are few and far between on tv these days, perhaps it would be a good fit for PBS. I'd watch for sure.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I wouldn't want to see any of them on a reality show. Those are so exploitative and guided by people behind the scenes that demand drama, that it would cheapen who they are and predictably ruin some of their personal relationships.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
UM GUYS DWTS IS REALITY TV...AND IT IS VERY SCRIPTED. sorry cap key. I'm describing battle of blades-reverse meryl maks. this whole board was OBSESSED with mak/meryl and now you wouldn't want a skating shoe with pro dncers/celebs lerning? I don't get ut.:scratch:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
UM GUYS DWTS IS REALITY TV...AND IT IS VERY SCRIPTED. sorry cap key. I'm describing battle of blades-reverse meryl maks. this whole board was OBSESSED with mak/meryl and now you wouldn't want a skating shoe with pro dncers/celebs lerning? I don't get ut.:scratch:

Excuse you, but NO the whole board was NOT obsessed with "maks/meryl". I spent the whole season thinking he was a slimy greasy sleeze who needed to get his hands off her.

Skating does not need scripted drama. The sport already has a bad enough reputation with the wider public for that stuff as it is. I agree Battle of the Blades is a good vehicle and I'd like to see more of that one, but you are not describing Battle of the Blades, you're asking for a scripted drama in the style of DWTS.

Skating does not need it. What skating could do with is doco style series following skaters. I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who'd be stunned to know how much time sktaers spent in the gym, for example, and what they could lift (or leg-press).

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I used to love DWTS but eventually it became so scripted and redundant I stopped watching. I'm totally dependent on Youtube so it does takes some effort to really get into. Also no to a M&M reality show. Skating with the Stars was rather meh and predictable so wouldn't want anything along that format either. I did really like Ice Diaries awhile back, but then again I love Alissa Czisny. Tessa & Scott wasn't so great. It seemed like they were trying too hard to get a storyline out of it. There were a lot of uncomfortable moments with Scott kind of coming off as a jerk and Tessa a bit pathetic. I think the problem is that a skating reality show that true skating fans would enjoy probably wouldn't be a hit with the general public. At least that's what most producers would likely believe. Sleaze, drama and outrageousness is an easy sell.

KLMH

Spectator
I wasn't here during the whole DWTS show. I did watch DWTS because of Charlie and Meryl, but actually enjoyed the Charlie and Sharna relationship more because it seemed more natural -- real, I guess you'd say. I never bought into Maks and Meryl as a couple too much, although I did enjoy her dancing. Maks was pretty flirty with Kirstie Alley, as I recall. That was one previous season that I watched.

buttermilk

On the Ice
No to a reality show, but I wouldn't mind if their skating shows adopted the "package" format from DWTS where you see a couple of minutes of rehearsal or behind-the-scenes stuff before you see a routine.

noskates

Record Breaker
Excuse you, but NO the whole board was NOT obsessed with "maks/meryl". I spent the whole season thinking he was a slimy greasy sleeze who needed to get his hands off her.

Skating does not need scripted drama. The sport already has a bad enough reputation with the wider public for that stuff as it is. I agree Battle of the Blades is a good vehicle and I'd like to see more of that one, but you are not describing Battle of the Blades, you're asking for a scripted drama in the style of DWTS.

Skating does not need it. What skating could do with is doco style series following skaters. I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who'd be stunned to know how much time sktaers spent in the gym, for example, and what they could lift (or leg-press).

Oh thank you!!! Thank you!!! Could not agree more. The shipping of these two was just "yuck" to me. Meryl is so classy. Maks is just not classy. The whole show was contrived to get viewership.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Absolutely not. Meryl is far too classy for this sort of rubbish and absolutely no way do we want to cheapen the sport by doing something like that.

I still think, however, that the attitude towards male figure skaters in America could be vastly improved if a camera followed Max, Josh, Jason, Jeremy, Ricky, Adam et al around for a season. The amount of work these guys put in would blow a fair few minds, I imagine. No need for fake drama, just show the people how hard it is.

:agree: This!

Re: camera following a skater/attitude adjustment, I think that's true for figure skating in general, not just the guys. Audiences need to understand that for every cleanly-landed jump there are probably hundreds of falls and bruises, not to mention the more-than-occasional injury. :bow:

Edit: the camera following would have to have limited edits to avoid crossing the line into just-another-scripted-reality-show. Documentary, yes. Fake reality, NO. (Apologies for caps -- most "reality" shows drive me crazy. :bang:)

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice

You don't understand the difference between a competitive reality show and a shadowing-your-life reality show?

76olympics

On the Ice
For a couple of days, I was the shippiest shipper that ever shipped... Then, I came down to earth again. I'd have to say no to a Maks/Meryl reality show, but I would like an unscripted look at figure skating training.

I am still enjoying rewatching all of the footage and I am glad that the DWTS experience was fun for Meryl and Charlie and not just walking exhaustion. But, I think that it is pretty unlikely that M & M will dance into the sunset. I think Meryl has many goals that preexist DWTS and Maks is an entertainer who pursues self-promotion without a second thought. I could be wrong and he'll turn up at family occasions in Michigan, but I don't think so.

Someone suggested this will morph into friendly Christmas cards and that's probably right. I do think he and Meryl may do a professional dance here and there at some time. That would be cool.

Absolutely not. Meryl is far too classy for this sort of rubbish and absolutely no way do we want to cheapen the sport by doing something like that.

I still think, however, that the attitude towards male figure skaters in America could be vastly improved if a camera followed Max, Josh, Jason, Jeremy, Ricky, Adam et al around for a season. The amount of work these guys put in would blow a fair few minds, I imagine. No need for fake drama, just show the people how hard it is.

I agree with all of this.

That would be a good reality show, modeled after the Housewives series. Put all of Maks' ex-girlfriends in a room and don't let them out until someone pulls someone else's hair for the camera. :yes:

That would be a good reality show, modeled after the Housewives series. Put all of Maks' ex-girlfriends in a room and don't let them out until someone pulls someone else's hair for the camera. :yes:

Oh, ick! Even a joke about it like your post makes me shudder. That kind of show seems to turn everyone associated with it into a barbarian, and it would be too painful even to read about, let alone to watch. I just saw an article about Bethenny Frankel, one of the original Housewives of New York, and her subsequent reality shows about her marriage, the baby, and so on. Now the couple is going through a messy divorce, with lawyers swapping accusations (like Johnny Weir and Victor), and the whole thing is off-putting in the extreme. No skater should be allowed anywhere near such a show.