Police Say Tri-state Coach Sexually Abused A Teenage Boy | Golden Skate

Police Say Tri-state Coach Sexually Abused A Teenage Boy

D

dlksk8fan

Re: Police Say Tri-state Coach Sexually Abused A Teenage Boy

Everytime I read something like this it makes me sick!

R

Raelynne

Stuff like this makes me sick. :x

G

GSK8

Re: Protecting the Innocent

NOTE:

Please do not post any "names" in this thread or any others pertaining to this article. This is out of respect for the family members of the "victim" and the "suspect" - who has yet to answer to the charges.

B

berthes ghost

What is interesting, is that with the little info given in the articles, anything could be possible.

For example, it's not explained but the "victim" may not have pressed charges until the accused barred him from the rink.

If it's true, then it's all a matter of how sick is "sick". I know that there is a whole power dynamic etc..., so it's not right same as why College Profs are not allowed to date students, but OTOH 16 is way old enough to know what your doing. It's not like we're talking preditors and kids.

J

Joesitz

Berthes Ghost - You are right, 16 is a relative age for non- consensual sex. It's not exactly unusual that a 14 year old has a baby in school and readily admits she wanted one.

Anyway, the charges are alleged. Let's see how abused the child was and how important it was for the child to complain after he was barred from the rink.

BTW, What should I know about Lowery's skating history?

Joe

M

mmandel

Very...very disturbing. No need to say more.

D

DORISPULASKI

The coach in question is ex pres of the Professional Skating Ass'n. His wife coached Watson and Oppegard. The daughter made it to Nationals in sr. Ice dance. He was an early coach of Scott Hamilton's before Don Laws. I believe an ex Canadian skater.

There is a thread on skatingforums where the person the boy confided in asked what to do and different posters gave advice. The name of the boy is not given, but the article was posted as the outcome of the what to do. It makes clear the difficulty of trying to get rid of a predatory coach while not damaging any of the students, nor failing to realize that innocent until proven guilty is the rule.

The problem is not so much the age of the victim as the abuse of power and the problem of a victim who submits because they fear the outcome if they don't (and since the victim was banned from the rink, you can see where the fear can be justified.) Even college profs are not supposed to date students, who are generally quite a bit older than 16.

I see by the articles that the coach is not supposed to associate with juveniles at all, and family juveniles only with supervision. This severely limits his coaching options. The charges bear a 9 yr prison term.

dpp

P

Piel

Even if there was consent coaches, teachers, anyone who works with children do so in a position of trust. IMO we (I am Girl Scout leader) are to be held to a higher standard. Parents trust us with that which is most precious to them, their chidren. It is an honor and privelage to be allowed to help contribute to the life of a child. Those who are proven to have taken advantage of that should be subjected to the full extent of the law (which in a lot of cases is much to leniant).

Piel

Y

yelyoh

The age of sexual consent is 16 in NJ, 17 in NY, I don't know about Conn. I think the age factor in this case is not a big deal. So what. Much ado about nothing. However, sexual harassment is a no no at any age by any party to any other party. IF this proves to be the case in this case.

J

Joesitz

I don't think anyone is saying the accused, if found gulty, should not be punished to the fullest extent of the law. We all have feelings about what the punishment should be, but first and foremost, find him guilty.

We haven't heard Lowery's side of the story, and we do not know (at least I don't), why the boy was barred from the rink. Apparently, the barring came before the accusation - so what does that mean?

Joe