Thread: World Junior Medalists Purdy and Marinaro end skating partnership

Custom Title

World Junior Medalists Purdy and Marinaro end skating partnership

Official Skate Canada release today:

5/27/2014

OTTAWA, ON: The 2013 world junior silver medalists in pair, Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro, have ended their skating partnership and will be moving on to new challenges. Purdy, 19, Strathroy, Ont., will attend university this fall, while Marinaro, 22, Sarnia, Ont., plans to continue skating and will be looking for a new pair partner.
    Purdy and Marinaro have competed together nationally since 2008, and were Canadian Junior Champions in 2010. They won medals on the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Circuit, including two golds in 2012, which qualified them for the 2012 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final. The pinnacle of their career was the silver world medal, won at the 2013 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, in Milan, Italy. They were members of Canada’s national team for the 2013-2014 season.
    With Marinaro’s decision to pursue skating with a new partner, Purdy made the difficult decision to retire from competitive skating and begin her university studies. She will enter the social science program at Western University in September, and plans to pursue a career in business and law.
    “I’m so proud of what we accomplished. I have so many amazing memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life, and I’m so glad that I was able experience them with Mike. It was a really hard decision to retire, but I knew it wouldn’t be the same for me to skate with another partner,” said Purdy. “We have a very strong friendship with one another, and I wish Mike the very best in the future and I hope all goes well for him.”
    http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...S/Default.aspx

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The North American bloodbath continues.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Any chance of Kirsten and Michael skating together? He's only a year older than her and a good foot taller...

On the Ice
    I've been hearing rumours about Kirsten and Michael skating together pretty much since MTM announced their split. I'm pretty sure they've at least had a try-out.

Custom Title
    Yes, it's been reported by posters on other boards (eg. FSU) that they've been seen having tryouts together.

Custom Title
    So, shall we look to an announcement of Moore-Towers / Marinaro as a new pair for 2018? "MTM" v. 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    So, shall we look to an announcement of Moore-Towers / Marinaro as a new pair for 2018? "MTM" v. 2.0?
    That would be nice!

Custom Title
    They were no longer a proper fit in the big picture and good luck

Banned
    She is a very talented skater. I wish her luck in the future. She was too good for him really.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandgarros View Post
    She is a very talented skater. I wish her luck in the future. She was too good for him really.
    But sadly, too tall to skate pairs all that safely at the highest level.