Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: FS and Sports Causing Passions Nationwide

  1. #1
    Bored
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    345

    FS and Sports Causing Passions Nationwide

    I think this deserves a separate thread

    I’m already living vibe of Brazil WC soccer and in the light of this the reaction in this forum towards Korean reaction to Sochi 2014 surprises me quite – I mean, the fact that it surprises many of you surprises me a lot. For you as figure skating fans, what’s your experience with sports causing passions nationwide? Has figure skating ever come close to that in your country and should it? Please, share!

    Also for mods of this forum, are passions like these new for you? Would you say it was rather a gift (new members etc.) or a problem and what you think mods and/or forum members should do to make it rather a gift than a problem?

  2. #2
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,161
    Well, Finland goes absolutely out of all proportion mental during the ice hockey world champs, and if they win it gets even worse. Normal, sensible people get waaaaaaay overexcited. I mean last Sunday I got kinda worried for Russian tourists currently here, but this time folks took the silver with much better grace - in that they were furious with the refs not the Russkis. I suppose everybody knew they shouldn't really have got to the final anyway, based on their play at the start of the tournament. If they win it's another thing altogether: the army sends effing fighters to escort home the airplane that carries the team I don't particularly like it as I don't appreciate nationalism much in any of its forms.

    On the other hand, Laura Lepistö's World bronze got little media time even though that was truly a major accomplishment.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    I think this deserves a separate thread

    I’m already living vibe of Brazil WC soccer and in the light of this the reaction in this forum towards Korean reaction to Sochi 2014 surprises me quite – I mean, the fact that it surprises many of you surprises me a lot. For you as figure skating fans, what’s your experience with sports causing passions nationwide? Has figure skating ever come close to that in your country and should it? Please, share!

    Also for mods of this forum, are passions like these new for you? Would you say it was rather a gift (new members etc.) or a problem and what you think mods and/or forum members should do to make it rather a gift than a problem?
    Well, this is the only forum I know where even discussion of how something is judged is grounds for calling it a hating thread. Makes me wonder just how much hate there is out there and how much is in the mind of the posters. Does soccer have the same thing where asking "what is the definition of a goal?" will automatically elicit responses of "well you're just bashing team X"?

  4. #4
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,930
    Boston Red Sox - The team is practically a religion.

    People are on radio talk shows furious at players who are doing poorly or blaming coaches.

    My MIL was happy in her last week of life because the Red Sox had finally won a World Series for the first time in her life. She was 82.

    Figure Skating? The only time I recall people getting worked up about results was the big todo over the 2002 Olympic pairs event snd the French judge. And The Whack before that.

  5. #5
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    927
    In the US, only the Super Bowl and March Madness evoke responses like that. I can't think of any occasion when fans disputed a result the way some Yuna fans are screaming about Sochi. Happy to stand corrected, though, because I don't follow hoops or football (American or otherwise).

    The one thing that does come to mind is the US 1972 Olympic basketball team, which still hasn't accepted its silver medals and still questions the refs' overtime calls in the final game.

    Edit -- shoot, how could I possibly forget the Red Sox? Thanks for the reminder, Doris! My best friend's mom also loved them and died shortly after they won the World Series for the first time.
    Last edited by skatedreamer; 05-28-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Red Sox!

  6. #6
    Custom Title DianaSelene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Anybody heard of U of L or UK basketball fans? Living in Kentucky, I can tell you they are just crazy!!!!
    But then again, the fact that basketball and football are pretty much the only sports in the state, it is not that surprising...

  7. #7
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Also for mods of this forum, are passions like these new for you? Would you say it was rather a gift (new members etc.) or a problem and what you think mods and/or forum members should do to make it rather a gift than a problem?
    When Golden Skate started out the majority of members were Michelle Kwan fans. Some people felt that the Michelle enthusiasts (*raises hand*) were a little cuckoo over Michelle and were not very tolerant toward those who weren't. Alexei Yagudin had the most die-hard fans for the men. It was not, however, a nationalistic thing. Yagudin had an international fan base, and if anything, Plushenko had more support among Russians.

    Fast-forwarding to modern times, the pro- and anti- Chan wars resulted in the creation of the Fan Fest folders (q.v.) where fans of a particular skater could gather without being harassed by meanies. The only fights that had a nationalistic basis were between Yuna Kim supporters and Mao Asada supporters (World War II came up a lot; a number of posters were banned.) Canada-bashing was also in vogue for a while -- a vestige remains in the Virtue and Moir versus Davis and White discussions. In those days Golden Skate did not have as many active European members as we wished. The cold war between Russia and the United States pretty much stayed cold on skating forums.

    A gift? IMHO, all is grist for the GS mill. Food fights, whether based on nationality or loyalty to an individual skater, are only the second worst thing that can happen. The worst thing is that everyone gets along happily ever after until the board closes down from terminal boredom.

    JMO.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,758
    Canada and hockey. That is all.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Franklin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Canada and hockey. That is all.
    Whatever do you mean...Canada has the most sane hockey fans EVAH!!

  10. #10
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    Whatever do you mean...Canada has the most sane hockey fans EVAH!!

    Oh?


    http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06...ncouvers-loss/

    What is a sane fire & riot?

  11. #11
    Custom Title Franklin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I was being sarcastic. Everyone knows Canada + hockey
    = the apocalypse.

  12. #12
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    That's insane

    I always support Canada for some reason when Finland are not playing, ever since I was a kid (not that I really care much about any results, it's just more fun to watch when you can root for a team). I believe the reason is that I always had this idea about Canadians being like the North American Scandinavians I mean their politics and culture are in so many ways the opposite of the US. I'm not saying they are better or anything, just that their culture is closer to mine and it's intriguing since they are on the other side of the globe from us. I also have (had) the impression that Canadians are very polite and fair, which I suppose they are since they are always taking the mickey about those qualities, both Canadians themselves and comedians in the US. I think it was because of this I was especially - really out of proportion - shocked by the Canadian media's reaction to the whole ice dance debacle. I may have been PMSing a little but reading that stuff one night in bed I legit started crying getting all depressed and wailing "why can't we all just get along" inside I gotta laugh when I remember that night!

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Embarrassing...

  14. #14
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    I was being sarcastic. Everyone knows Canada + hockey
    = the apocalypse.


    Canada + hockey = epic crazed fans. Now, if Canada loses to the US...THAT'S the apocalypse!

  15. #15
    Bored
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    345
    Nooo this is how a same ice hockey fan should look like!
    http://leiputrija.com/wp-content/upl...atvian-fan.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •