Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: FS and Sports Causing Passions Nationwide

  1. #16
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    When Golden Skate started out the majority of members were Michelle Kwan fans. Some people felt that the Michelle enthusiasts (*raises hand*) were a little cuckoo over Michelle and were not very tolerant toward those who weren't.
    I was one of them. It truly felt like MKF II
    __________
    Generally speaking, I actually think things have calmed down here over the years (with a few notable exceptions). But maybe now emotions are starting to run high again, especially with the Olympic season and more controversial results being handed down.

    Actually, the Wagner/Nagasu Olympic controversy is the first time I've seen passion among US skatefans in YEARS. For the longest time no one has really cared - ever since Kwan & Cohen actually.

  2. #17
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Has figure skating ever come close to that in your country and should it? Please, share!
    I think the closest the USA ever has come to being a nationwide passion was between 1994-1995 with the Tonya/Nancy saga, to Oksana Baiul, to the death of Grinkov. During that period it seemed like figure skating was always on TV and much more a part of popular culture than it has ever been before or since.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes. There can be problems in Canada with hockey fans in some cities when their teams lose. Not sane at all and the situations that arise can be dangerous.

    In past years, there have been, on particular occasions, riots in both Vancouver and Montreal when their teams were knocked out of the playoffs. Not Toronto though . . . but that is because our team (the Maple Leafs) is so crappy, we are not only used to losing but, as well, not even making the play-offs. Yet, it is the most profitable team in the NHL because it is so ardently supported. It would be interesting to see what would happen if our beloved Maple Leafs ever won the Stanley Cup, but that is so hypothetical because it won't happen . . . but if it did, traffic would stop everywhere in the city for the celebration. It would be madness.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114
    College football in Alabama in the 1970s and early 1980s! I remember when "The Bear" died (1983) and his funeral procession toured the ENTIRE state! The turnout was most likely equivalent (if not greater) than if a sitting president had been assassinated.

    Here is a picture that captures the number of the watching the procession move through the state. http://photos.al.com/birmingham-news..._deathjpg.html

    To get the full affect, you need to watch to video of the actual procession http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...75EA81DB300639

  5. #20
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,720
    Better that than the situation with Joe Paterno 's football program at Penn State, where because he turned a blind eye to his assistant Jerry Sandusky, assaulting young boys, they took down his statue.

    http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...51&src=desktop


    And now they are putting up a $300k replacement Paterno statue.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Better that than the situation with Joe Paterno 's football program at Penn State, where because he turned a blind eye to his assistant Jerry Sandudky, assaulting young boys, they took down his statue.

    http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...51&src=desktop


    And now they are putting up a $300k replacement Paterno statue.
    Ugh. I really have no words to adequately describe how disgusting I find the lengths to which people will go to cover up and make excuses for sexual abuse in order to protect the sanctity of football. And, of course, people worship Paterno as if he were God.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114
    There was huge story in the American press in the last week about the high number of kids getting concussions from sports. I'm sure that the final study will point the finger at certain sports like American football. Having said that, I still expect the "powers that be" to decide that the ends justify the means so they will continue to protect the sanctity of football!

  8. #23
    Bored
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    345
    To most of relief of many of you, Brazil 2014 has started exactly in the mood that shows where the concept “home field advantage” comes from: soccer! Ref’s using his whistle in favor of the home field quite shamelessly and plus this year’s team Brazil are the worst theatrical soccer acts ever! I don’t have any favorites yet so I think I’ll relish watching how refs will push-and-pull this band of clowns the whole way to the final.
    OMG that’s something, they’re serious competitors to figure skating! Marcelo only lacked Swan Lake theme and a tunica!

    God help me not to get banned from GS during this crazy month because of – ehm – showing too much of worldwide sports passion

  9. #24
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    To most of relief of many of you, Brazil 2014 has started exactly in the mood that shows where the concept “home field advantage” comes from: soccer! Ref’s using his whistle in favor of the home field quite shamelessly and plus this year’s team Brazil are the worst theatrical soccer acts ever! I don’t have any favorites yet so I think I’ll relish watching how refs will push-and-pull this band of clowns the whole way to the final.
    OMG that’s something, they’re serious competitors to figure skating! Marcelo only lacked Swan Lake theme and a tunica!
    God help me not to get banned from GS during this crazy month because of – ehm – showing too much of worldwide sports passion
    I am no fan of Croatia but I had to turn off the tivi early.

  10. #25
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    That does it. I'm going to have to start following soccer (oops, football) to keep up here! Even my doctor's office has a Brazilian flag in the flower arrangement in their reception area.

  11. #26
    Yuzulia & Ruslena Team Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    4,010
    Can you imagine the home team, 5 times world champions, losing the first opening game to Croatia, being left in 10 (as they should've been) by sending out their best player (Neymar) that everybody was waiting for?
    The mass suicide would've began earlier this time, right after the match, not like in 1950 when they lost the final to Uruguay.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,101
    One of the many reasons soccer was not taken seriously as an A-grade sport in Australia for many years was the prevalent diving and acting and theatrics. Our sports of cricket, rugby league and AFL didn't have those things; they just got out there and got on with it.

    Now the A-league attracts the most crowds of any football code in Australia and diving is becoming more of a problem in league and AFL. Go figure.

  13. #28
    Yuzulia & Ruslena Team Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    One of the many reasons soccer was not taken seriously as an A-grade sport in Australia for many years was the prevalent diving and acting and theatrics. Our sports of cricket, rugby league and AFL didn't have those things; they just got out there and got on with it.
    I think it does have to do more with culture and traditions. Football was never your game, your tradition, so no matter what it will never be your no. 1 sport. Never say never but....traditions do count, IMO.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I think it does have to do more with culture and traditions. Football was never your game, your tradition, so no matter what it will never be your no. 1 sport. Never say never but....traditions do count, IMO.
    I hope so. The A-league's crowds are huge and the rugby league and AFL crowds are beginning to struggle, even the marquee clubs. The horrible mob mentality that the English/European soccer fans have is starting to pervade our soccer crowds too. Marches down main streets before derby games. Flares and riots in the crowds. Assaults post-match. And the soccer fans scream blue murder if anyone tries to point out that they're becoming soccer hooligans.

  15. #30
    Yuzulia & Ruslena Team Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I hope so. The A-league's crowds are huge and the rugby league and AFL crowds are beginning to struggle, even the marquee clubs. The horrible mob mentality that the English/European soccer fans have is starting to pervade our soccer crowds too. Marches down main streets before derby games. Flares and riots in the crowds. Assaults post-match. And the soccer fans scream blue murder if anyone tries to point out that they're becoming soccer hooligans.
    That's interesting. Why is that in your opinion, maybe immigration from other countries have an influence?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •