FS and Sports Causing Passions Nationwide | Page 3 | Golden Skate

FS and Sports Causing Passions Nationwide

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Sorry, no pummeling the Dutch.
Holland is very likely (!) through to the next round, hurah!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think they have just secured their slot to the next round already. Anyways, I hope Spain will do well.

Not secured, no. They can still become third, but it's not likely. For that to happen, Spain would have to win tonight, Chili win in the match against Holland, Spain win against Australia, that would put all three teams at six points, and then I think they look at the difference in goal points, or however it's called in English (dutch: doelsaldo). Which will likely mean Holland is still through, because they have five points (four from the 1-5 and one from the 2-3).
Something like that, anyway. I'm not an expert, lol. Very simply put, though, if Spain does not win tonight, we're through.

Alba

Record Breaker
I must say I'm sorry for Australia. I think they did well and certainly deserved more if not for that death group. :scowl:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I must say I'm sorry for Australia. I think they did well and certainly deserved more if not for that death group. :scowl:
Is it just me or some group look like it's couldn't have been easier for them? I mean, seriously, the grouping of this World cup has some problem.

Alba

Record Breaker
Is it just me or some group look like it's couldn't have been easier for them? I mean, seriously, the grouping of this World cup has some problem.

Nothing strange with that. There is always a strong group, called "death group", but they certainly would've had a strong chance in the Germany group or Belgium group, and maybe even others.
They played well and considering also how their opponent played against them - Holland and Chile were not brilliant against them - I think they should've had two draws, at least.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

It might seem strange but, for a team that is not going to take the cup anyway, so called “death groups” are the best possible. You can play the top teams of the world in the first round and show your team and your country in the best light like team Australia actually did against Netherlands. The game was lost but I think Australian soccer only gained reputation and popularity after that.

Rhodium

On the Ice
Australia played a tremendous match against Holland! I did not expect that they could play as equals against very strong team.
I don't thing it is a strongly pronounced "death group" though. Groups of Brazil, England and Germany are not weaker.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Australia played a tremendous match against Holland! I did not expect that they could play as equals against very strong team.
I don't thing it is a strongly pronounced "death group" though. Groups of Brazil, England and Germany are not weaker.

Spain and Holland were 1 and 2 at the Worlds in 2010 and Spain 1 at Euros 2012, IIRC, so that probably screamed group of death. ;-) And I'm waiting for England to prove you right. Tonight, maybe! Germany certainly impressed, though!

(although I'm sort of rooting for Uruguay, because I have Suarez in my 'poule' as top scorer, and I want points! *grin* I'm doing terrible this year, I had Holland down as losing both matches, pffft).

Alba

Record Breaker
It might seem strange but, for a team that is not going to take the cup anyway, so called “death groups” are the best possible. You can play the top teams of the world in the first round and show your team and your country in the best light like team Australia actually did against Netherlands. The game was lost but I think Australian soccer only gained reputation and popularity after that.

That's true. It will also help them with experience as well, which is a very important factor when it comes to these big tournments.

Those groups are not weak, but this one was the most difficult. Spain was not only the reigning WC but came here as a strong favorite and No.1 in FIFA ranking.
Holland had a great qualifying round for the WC, and both teams have great players who can change the game at any moment.
Chile is a very good and strong team as well. They did play very well in WC 2010 (passing the group) and in the qualifyind round for this one as well. They were 3rd (behind Argentina and Colombia) and among top four teams qualified directly from the SA Zone for the World Cup.