Sytycd | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sytycd

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I enjoyed the show, but I tend to like the competition over the auditions, too.

UGH - don't we all wish we lived in a world where we would be Bieberless?

heyang

Record Breaker
Jenna from DWTS (troupe) is also from SYTYCD. She is from Utah-where the second girl who got a ticket is from. Mary Murphy said something to the effect that dancers from Utah are very strong in ballroom and contemporary.

And gees, those dancers are soooooo Gumby flexible. My husband happened to come through and watched one of the guys dance- his reaction was, "well, there would be my groin pull right there!"

So... how many cities do they go to for open auditions? Is that known/the same every year?

For whatever reasons, a lot of dancers are found in Utah. Allyson Holker of season 2 (now married to Twitch of season 4) is from Utah.

A number of ballroom dancers have made it over to DWTS. Lyndsay (pro last season) and Witney (pro this season) both competed 2 or 3 seasons ago on SYTYCD - they knew each other before the show and also were roommates during the show and now are both part of the DWTS troupe.

heyang

Record Breaker
He was there....and that's all I have to say about that.

I can't wait until the competition begins.

It was stupid. .... those segments were pretaped .... I'm not a fan of the guy, but it was false advertising, too. I hope he isn't one of the musical guests.

I enjoy the competition portion more than the auditions, too.

No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons. JMHO. The quirky kid with the bow tie has a lot of personality, but I don't know if he's top 20 material. Of course, we don't see even 1/2 of what happens and a lot also depends on partners assigned. Oh well, the title is favorite, not best dancer.

I wonder if there will ever be a pure all-stars competition where you only have past contestants perform. So many of them have grown deeper in their art and are more incredible than they were when on the show.

That would be fun, Heyang. Travis would be a great contestant, and Benji of course. Lacey, Dmitri, Chelsie, and the other ballroom dancers who have performed on DWTS would be great to see there, too.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
It was stupid. .... those segments were pretaped .... I'm not a fan of the guy, but it was false advertising, too. I hope he isn't one of the musical guests.

I enjoy the competition portion more than the auditions, too.

No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons. JMHO. The quirky kid with the bow tie has a lot of personality, but I don't know if he's top 20 material. Of course, we don't see even 1/2 of what happens and a lot also depends on partners assigned. Oh well, the title is favorite, not best dancer.

I wonder if there will ever be a pure all-stars competition where you only have past contestants perform. So many of them have grown deeper in their art and are more incredible than they were when on the show.

Heyang, it sounds like you've been a viewer in the past, so you know they sometimes have past performers come back to pair up with new performers. I always enjoy that. It's interesting to see how much better some of them are than they were when they were competing.

Olympia, I'd love for Travis to dance again, along with his brother Danny, Benji and Lacey and their cousin Heidi, Twitch, Allison, Lauren, Robert, Gev. Oh boy, there are too many favorites in my mind!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons.

Heyang, great to see you post. Anyhow, I was hoping someone else thought that about the dancing. I was hoping you or Johar would jump in.

heyang

Record Breaker
Heyang, it sounds like you've been a viewer in the past, so you know they sometimes have past performers come back to pair up with new performers. I always enjoy that. It's interesting to see how much better some of them are than they were when they were competing.

Olympia, I'd love for Travis to dance again, along with his brother Danny, Benji and Lacey and their cousin Heidi, Twitch, Allison, Lauren, Robert, Gev. Oh boy, there are too many favorites in my mind!!!

Yes, I've watched since season 1. It's definitely fun to see the past performers appear on the show in any manner. Benji and Travis have both choreographed routines for SYTYCD and DWTS. Travis Wall had a reality show last summer(?) about he and 3 of his friends (including season 1 winner Nick Lazzarrini) creating a dance group amongst their assorted other obligations and goals. (i.e. one of them really wanted to submit a proposal to choreo a Macy's Stars of Dance routine for DWTS, travelling, etc.).... I also forgot to mention that Lacey and Chelsie Hightower are also SYTYCD contestants who appeared as pro partners on DWTS.

At the end of one season, they did have a bunch of SYTYCD personalities perform a group#, but there were so many that it was like watching seconds of each one of them. Whenever SYTYCD ends, I would like to see an episode or two where all the most memorable contestants come back and make an appearance - it might even be fun to see them perform one of their most memorable routines.

heyang

Record Breaker
Heyang, great to see you post. Anyhow, I was hoping someone else thought that about the dancing. I was hoping you or Johar would jump in.

It's so hard to comment on the auditions sometimes since the editing sometimes shows the judges' reactions more than the audition itself. Sometimes, you see the judges smiling or they make some type of ecstatic sigh and the TV audience has no idea what they are seeing. They also tend to be more about personality. I'm trying to recall how many past top 4's have been featured Prior to Vegas week. I recall winner Melanie Moore's audition.

Read a brief Nigel interview and he commented that more hip hop dancers are coming to the show with some training in other genres, like ballroom.... just an example of how driven some of the dancers are to get on the show and succeed.

So I finalllllly got around to watching last week's episode and in general I found it to be the typical auditions stage of any reality show. There were some people that were not so good and others that were... Overall, I'm more excited for when the real competition begins (as many have said before)! At this point I think it's too early to say much about anyone because honestly it's just auditions....if people don't put their best foot forward for those, then they don't even make it.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I like the auditions because those moments when you're totally blown away are so memorable to me. But so far this season, I haven't seen anyone in that category.

If you want to see some stunning auditions, go to youtube and look for Audrey Case and Amy Yakima. Audrey's just makes me smile and I can't help but cry every time I watch Amy's.

Maybe I need to wait for someone whose name begins with the letter "A".

heyang

Record Breaker
So far, this week's audition episode has had some more noteworthy appearances as compared to last week.

leesainva

On the Ice
I think so, too, Heyang. Nobody has really wow'd me, but better than last week, for sure.

I found tonight's program interesting, but not enough to stop doing other stuff while I watched. But then again, I usually am not terribly interested in the auditions. I will become more invested once the auditions are over.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved the lady dancer from the Joffrey ballet school. I also loved Mary Poppins, she was super and was that FikShun who was dancing with her??

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found tonight's program interesting, but not enough to stop doing other stuff while I watched. But then again, I usually am not terribly interested in the auditions. I will become more invested once the auditions are over.

Really!!! Then did you miss the guy who vomited???