Sytycd | Golden Skate

Sytycd

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I'm starting this thread to discuss So You Think You Can Dance - which starts a new season tonight on FOX! Come join us in this discussion before, during and after the show!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Anyone watching the show tonight?
Also do anyone like what they're trying to do this season? Addition of crews?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I'll be watching tonight, but don't know what they're doing differently this season. What are they changing?

They're adding crew performances or maybe let dance crews audition :eek:hwell: It's quite confusing honestly. It's like they're doing ABCD but with more genres.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
They're adding crew performances or maybe let dance crews audition :eek:hwell: It's quite confusing honestly. It's like they're doing ABCD but with more genres.

Interesting. I guess we'll have to wait and see how they explain it.

I just know watching Cat "it's all about me" Deeley again will make me like Erin Andrews a bit more than I already do.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Yeah, that was BAAAAAAD!!! I don't know what was worse, his dancing or the fact that his family was cheering him on.

leesainva

On the Ice
Jenna from DWTS (troupe) is also from SYTYCD. She is from Utah-where the second girl who got a ticket is from. Mary Murphy said something to the effect that dancers from Utah are very strong in ballroom and contemporary.

And gees, those dancers are soooooo Gumby flexible. My husband happened to come through and watched one of the guys dance- his reaction was, "well, there would be my groin pull right there!"

So... how many cities do they go to for open auditions? Is that known/the same every year?

Hello Ladies and Gents!!! I hope that you're all having a nice evening and enjoying SYTYCD!!! :) I'm super pumped to get to watch another tv show with you all. That being said....my internet at home is not working until the company comes out to repair it tomorrow....so, I'll have to save my commentary for then, sadly...

Anyways, have fun! :) Can't wait to chat about it here! (I'm at the library now...)

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
leesainva, if your hubby was watching the guy who didn't make it, I thought of Gumby when I was watching him, too!!! He was hyper-extending and his body looked just like Gumby at certain points.

I don't know how many cities they go to but they switch it up every year. A lot do come out of Utah, though. It must be big there. Plus the Hough's being from Utah probably has added to the interest of dance there, even though most of their years were spent in England with the Ballas family.

Snowflake, that's annoying, but I look forward to seeing your take on it tomorrow.

Jenna from DWTS (troupe) is also from SYTYCD. She is from Utah-where the second girl who got a ticket is from. Mary Murphy said something to the effect that dancers from Utah are very strong in ballroom and contemporary.

The Mormon Church is big on dancing. (Praise the Lord with tambourine and dance! Praise him with strings and pipe!) Brigham Young University has major programs in both ballroom and folk dancing.

In the city where I grew up in Eastern Washington, the Mormon kids had a formal dance in a rented hall every weekend. It allowed the young people to do their thing while still under the watchful eye of the elders. :)

Yes, Benji Schwimmer, an early-season champ, was a Mormon, as were several earlier pro dancers on DWTS.

I only got to see the last half hour tonight, but it was already enjoyable to me. The enthusiasm of the judges is as appealing as the high spirits of the dancers.

KKonas

Medalist
Not thrilled with the debut of SYTYCD so far - too much wasted time on those who will obviously not compete. However, I am hopeful that we will eventually see some good dancing in the coming weeks. Would love to see Meryl and/or Charlie as guest judges this season. They already have Tara Lipinski as a guest judge.