Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sytycd

Quote Originally Posted by leesainva View Post
    Jenna from DWTS (troupe) is also from SYTYCD. She is from Utah-where the second girl who got a ticket is from. Mary Murphy said something to the effect that dancers from Utah are very strong in ballroom and contemporary.
    The Mormon Church is big on dancing. (Praise the Lord with tambourine and dance! Praise him with strings and pipe!) Brigham Young University has major programs in both ballroom and folk dancing.

In the city where I grew up in Eastern Washington, the Mormon kids had a formal dance in a rented hall every weekend. It allowed the young people to do their thing while still under the watchful eye of the elders.

Custom Title
    Ha! Good plan to keep them off the street and away from any shenanigans!

Custom Title
    Yes, Benji Schwimmer, an early-season champ, was a Mormon, as were several earlier pro dancers on DWTS.

I only got to see the last half hour tonight, but it was already enjoyable to me. The enthusiasm of the judges is as appealing as the high spirits of the dancers.

Custom Title
    Not thrilled with the debut of SYTYCD so far - too much wasted time on those who will obviously not compete. However, I am hopeful that we will eventually see some good dancing in the coming weeks. Would love to see Meryl and/or Charlie as guest judges this season. They already have Tara Lipinski as a guest judge.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I read something about Justin Bieber being there...
    He was there....and that's all I have to say about that.

I can't wait until the competition begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post

Custom Title
    I enjoyed the show, but I tend to like the competition over the auditions, too.

UGH - don't we all wish we lived in a world where we would be Bieberless?

On the Ice
    PlaysInTheDirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFgRH-t-beA
    This is Travis Wall's 2013 nominated choreographic number. It was a group dance...Where the Light Comes In.

Unchained Melody is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by leesainva View Post
    Jenna from DWTS (troupe) is also from SYTYCD. She is from Utah-where the second girl who got a ticket is from. Mary Murphy said something to the effect that dancers from Utah are very strong in ballroom and contemporary.

And gees, those dancers are soooooo Gumby flexible. My husband happened to come through and watched one of the guys dance- his reaction was, "well, there would be my groin pull right there!"

So... how many cities do they go to for open auditions? Is that known/the same every year?
    For whatever reasons, a lot of dancers are found in Utah. Allyson Holker of season 2 (now married to Twitch of season 4) is from Utah.

A number of ballroom dancers have made it over to DWTS. Lyndsay (pro last season) and Witney (pro this season) both competed 2 or 3 seasons ago on SYTYCD - they knew each other before the show and also were roommates during the show and now are both part of the DWTS troupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post

It was stupid. .... those segments were pretaped .... I'm not a fan of the guy, but it was false advertising, too. I hope he isn't one of the musical guests.

I enjoy the competition portion more than the auditions, too.

No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons. JMHO. The quirky kid with the bow tie has a lot of personality, but I don't know if he's top 20 material. Of course, we don't see even 1/2 of what happens and a lot also depends on partners assigned. Oh well, the title is favorite, not best dancer.

I wonder if there will ever be a pure all-stars competition where you only have past contestants perform. So many of them have grown deeper in their art and are more incredible than they were when on the show.

Custom Title
    That would be fun, Heyang. Travis would be a great contestant, and Benji of course. Lacey, Dmitri, Chelsie, and the other ballroom dancers who have performed on DWTS would be great to see there, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by azcalder View Post
    PlaysInTheDirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFgRH-t-beA
    This is Travis Wall's 2013 nominated choreographic number. It was a group dance...Where the Light Comes In.

Unchained Melody is one of my favorites.
    Ohhhh, I remember that now! I love that routine! Thanks, azcalder, for posting the link!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    It was stupid. .... those segments were pretaped .... I'm not a fan of the guy, but it was false advertising, too. I hope he isn't one of the musical guests.

I enjoy the competition portion more than the auditions, too.

No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons. JMHO. The quirky kid with the bow tie has a lot of personality, but I don't know if he's top 20 material. Of course, we don't see even 1/2 of what happens and a lot also depends on partners assigned. Oh well, the title is favorite, not best dancer.

I wonder if there will ever be a pure all-stars competition where you only have past contestants perform. So many of them have grown deeper in their art and are more incredible than they were when on the show.
    Heyang, it sounds like you've been a viewer in the past, so you know they sometimes have past performers come back to pair up with new performers. I always enjoy that. It's interesting to see how much better some of them are than they were when they were competing.

Olympia, I'd love for Travis to dance again, along with his brother Danny, Benji and Lacey and their cousin Heidi, Twitch, Allison, Lauren, Robert, Gev. Oh boy, there are too many favorites in my mind!!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    No one really stood out as 'great' or really memorable last night. There were a couple of interesting stories, but the dancing shown wasn't top tier compared to past seasons.
    Heyang, great to see you post. Anyhow, I was hoping someone else thought that about the dancing. I was hoping you or Johar would jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    Heyang, it sounds like you've been a viewer in the past, so you know they sometimes have past performers come back to pair up with new performers. I always enjoy that. It's interesting to see how much better some of them are than they were when they were competing.

Olympia, I'd love for Travis to dance again, along with his brother Danny, Benji and Lacey and their cousin Heidi, Twitch, Allison, Lauren, Robert, Gev. Oh boy, there are too many favorites in my mind!!!
    Yes, I've watched since season 1. It's definitely fun to see the past performers appear on the show in any manner. Benji and Travis have both choreographed routines for SYTYCD and DWTS. Travis Wall had a reality show last summer(?) about he and 3 of his friends (including season 1 winner Nick Lazzarrini) creating a dance group amongst their assorted other obligations and goals. (i.e. one of them really wanted to submit a proposal to choreo a Macy's Stars of Dance routine for DWTS, travelling, etc.).... I also forgot to mention that Lacey and Chelsie Hightower are also SYTYCD contestants who appeared as pro partners on DWTS.

At the end of one season, they did have a bunch of SYTYCD personalities perform a group#, but there were so many that it was like watching seconds of each one of them. Whenever SYTYCD ends, I would like to see an episode or two where all the most memorable contestants come back and make an appearance - it might even be fun to see them perform one of their most memorable routines.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast