Question about buying Figure Skates for different sized feet? | Golden Skate

Question about buying Figure Skates for different sized feet?

Mint27

Spectator
I am so so so sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. :disapp:

Anyway, I have two differently sized feet, and I am not sure what to do.

I am 19 years old, 5'4 and 120 pounds, small framed.

My feet:

Shape: Average sized toe-box, VERY narrow heel.
Shoe size: One foot (in shoes) is a 7.5, and the other foot is a 6. (1/2 inch difference when measured)

I just bought Riedell 133's ( I am in the later basics levels) and I believe they are appropriate for me as I am a college student and due to time and money restrictions I will not progress at too quick a rate to require firmer skates.

I bought my Riedell's in a size 6.5. They fit comfortably in my larger foot, however noticeably looser in my smaller foot. I can just barely move my heel due to the fact it is so narrow, but only so slightly.
I did not get my Riedell's sharpened yet, and am curious as to whether I should try a size smaller or what I can do with my smaller foot?

Conclusion:
One of my feet is 1 and a half sizes smaller than the other, and I have a normal sized toe box with a VERY narrow heel.

Help me please! :slink:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm really sorry, but you're headed straight for special order territory. You need two different sizes. You can't play guesswork or put up with it or just stuff newspaper in the toes. Your feet need different size boots. I'm surprised the fitter at the pro shop didn't notice.

sarahspins

Rinkside
I'm really sorry, but you're headed straight for special order territory. You need two different sizes. You can't play guesswork or put up with it or just stuff newspaper in the toes. Your feet need different size boots. I'm surprised the fitter at the pro shop didn't notice.

+1 to this. Your fitter can special order a pair of Riedells in two different sizes (in addition to other options such as split width if that is necessary). Even as a beginner, if you intend to stick with skating for a while it's important that you have skates that fit properly otherwise you actually put yourself at risk of developing feet/ankle problems from your skates, in addition to the fact that it will make it more difficult to learn certain skills if your weight isn't properly balanced on the blade on one foot (or even both feet).

I am concerned though that if you listed your street shoe sizes initially, that a 6.5 Riedell would be too large for you anyways. Did you have an actual fitting done or did you just order them on your own?

Mint27

Spectator
Well, the fitters at the pro shop were not really helpful, and I chose 6.5 because it fit my larger foot and the 7's were too large. I just got them and didn't skate in them yet, I can exchange them for a different size. What do you propose I do?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, the fitters at the pro shop were not really helpful, and I chose 6.5 because it fit my larger foot and the 7's were too large. I just got them and didn't skate in them yet, I can exchange them for a different size. What do you propose I do?

Take them back and maybe find a different fitter! A whole size and a half difference is likely visible to the naked eye, let alone someone who is trained to fit skating boots.

You don't need to exchange for A different size - you need two different sizes. You're not going to be able to escape that. I know it means more outlay in the short term but if it means you don't have to outlay for serious medical bills in the long term isn't that better?

vlaurend

Final Flight
I agree. You need to invest in a pair of custom boots. Every major skate boot manufacturer makes them (Reidell, Jackson, SP Teri, Harlick, etc.). They cost more than stock boots, but with the amount of money you'll be paying for lessons and ice time, it's silly to try to save money by buying skates that will be way too big on one of your feet and not allow you to skate well. Unfortunately, with that much of a size difference, you will also probably be stuck having to buy two pairs of blades for each pair of boots, since each pair of blades includes a left and right blade of the same length.