Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 157

Thread: Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

  1. #46
    lurking.. 0v0 satine94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    Putin's fault? Please. It's Bush's fault.
    Bush has been out of office for 1.5 terms now, so it's only cool to blame him for old stuff, not new stuff.

  2. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    289
    I think if Oslo stays in they will be pretty much handed it. If they drop out then Kazakhstan. This would be almost like a home games for Rus so you will hear Rus si ya chants

  3. #48
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,267
    I would love to see the games in Kazakhstan, though. Denis Ten has done a good job with his shows there. Such a country, I also want to visit Kazakhstan.

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by satine94 View Post
    Bush has been out of office for 1.5 terms now, so it's only cool to blame him for old stuff, not new stuff.
    I know, I know, it was my sad little attempt at a joke.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    307
    I live in Kraków, Poland and my city wanted to bid but unfortunately we had a referendum and people decided against it because they think it's not worth spending so much money and the investment won't repay.

  6. #51
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9
    I just think the games have become too big.
    My favourite games were probably Calgary and Lillehammer, when there were far fewer events.

    The IOC seems obsessed with expanding the programme - I thought that things had turned the corner when baseball/softball were dropped from 2012 but no, they immediately added another 2 sports again.

  7. #52
    Custom Title pista04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    305
    I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.

  8. #53
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by sinless69uk View Post
    I just think the games have become too big.
    My favourite games were probably Calgary and Lillehammer, when there were far fewer events.

    The IOC seems obsessed with expanding the programme - I thought that things had turned the corner when baseball/softball were dropped from 2012 but no, they immediately added another 2 sports again.
    The Lillehammer Winter Olympics were amazing. The people were great. It was my second trip to a Winter Games and worth the money.

  9. #54
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.
    Do you mean the summer Olympics? How could they do Alpine skiing events in Detroit?

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.
    Between corrupt politicians and the unions, they'll make the Detroit games the most expensive ever.

  11. #56
    Ice is slippery.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    Detroit would be perfect.
    Detroit would never accept it even if they were handed the games. They will never get back the cost of hosting (especially a winter Olympics) from tourism alone and it'll drive them even further into bankruptcy. They already have a $20 billion dollar problem on their hands, they don't need another.

  12. #57
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,263
    Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.

  13. #58
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    . . . I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.
    If the past Olympics cities are willing to host again, that would be a good idea. Also, the Winter Olympics need to be held somewhere near a mountain range, so Midwestern cities would never be able to hold the winter games unless the Alpine skiing events are removed from the games. Reno/Tahoe would probably be good, at least as far as snow and mountains are concerned.

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills.
    Ouch. But what else does Detroit have to offer?

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
    I am rooting for Almaty. It is a beautiful city near the high mountains. It will draw tons of tourists from Russia. D10 could compete at home Olympics

    NYT article is biased. "Almaty, Kazakhstan, a city of 1.4 million in a nation with an autocratic government and a dubious human rights record..." Really? Of course, Lviv in a country-bankrupt with a permanent jumble would be a good place.
    D10 if it is who I think it is will probably be retired by then.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •