Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

Yulia Lipnitskaya-san, Roshia! Rhodium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    D10 if it is who I think it is will probably be retired by then.
    He will be 28, I think he will not miss unique opportunity to take part at home Olympics. By the way, Plushenko was 31.

Ice is slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
    He will be 28, I think he will not miss unique opportunity to take part at home Olympics. By the way, Plushenko was 31.
    You can't compare others to Plushenko since he is the exception, not the standard. Many usually retire by that age and Ten seems prone to injury, although it would be nice if he does get a home Olympics

Custom Title
    ^Competing at 28 would probably be unlikely. But D10 can skate in the gala. (What's the precedent for this, anyway? Have any retired skaters skated when their country became a host?)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    ^Competing at 28 would probably be unlikely. But D10 can skate in the gala. (What's the precedent for this, anyway? Have any retired skaters skated when their country became a host?)
    Plushy aside, in recent games we had Fusar-Poli & Margaglio at Torino (6th) but that's all I can think of. Anyone else?

Custom Title
    ^I meant, have retired skaters been invited to galas held in their countries, without competing?

Rinkside
    I agree with you about NYT being biased. Who are we as Americans to be lecturing any country about human rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
    I am rooting for Almaty. It is a beautiful city near the high mountains. It will draw tons of tourists from Russia. D10 could compete at home Olympics

NYT article is biased. "Almaty, Kazakhstan, a city of 1.4 million in a nation with an autocratic government and a dubious human rights record..." Really? Of course, Lviv in a country-bankrupt with a permanent jumble would be a good place.

Custom Title
    ^^ Actual sport fans will probably not really care about the issues but the activists loves to make a big deal about them. The medias sometimes love to feed these kinds of aspects.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.
    I'm not sure if your comment is a joke.

What resources does Detroit already have that would make it a good choice? I'm not sure, but I believe, at a minimum, they'd need major sports venues... ski jumping, luge/bobsled tracks, speed skating ovals... that require pretty large investments. Are there some of those in Detroit that I'm unaware of (a serious question... I really don't know for sure)?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I'm not sure if your comment is a joke.

What resources does Detroit already have that would make it a good choice? I'm not sure, but I believe, at a minimum, they'd need major sports venues... ski jumping, luge/bobsled tracks, speed skating ovals... that require pretty large investments. Are there some of those in Detroit that I'm unaware of (a serious question... I really don't know for sure)?
    No. My comment about landfills was no joke. They actually ski on old landfills I think that the poster who originally brought up Detroit was just throwing out a dying city in hopes that the games would save it. Detroit would be a good city in that aspect. Maybe summer olympics instead would be a better option.

The Detroit thing is amusing me.

Did you know Detroit actually bid for the Olympics 7 times between 1944 and 1972? It's the most times a city has bid without ever winning the Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_Olympic_Games

The backstory is that the longtime president of the USOC, I believe it was, was from Detroit.

Frankly, given Detroit's financial straits, I doubt they will be bidding any time soon. Although they certainly have the land for redevelopment, who would fund it?

I think we're likely to see Los Angeles advanced as the US bidder for 2024.

^the detroit suggestion also amuses me.. i thought they still have a problem with their local economy and the whole auto industry emergency bailout years ago..

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.
    I think Reno/Tahoe is an excellent idea!! Detroit has about as potential with this as Las Vegas!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    Did you know Detroit actually bid for the Olympics 7 times between 1944 and 1972? It's the most times a city has bid without ever winning the Games.
    Ouch. Poor Detroit. Or maybe not, considering how costly hosting the games are.

While I kinda like the theory--using the games to save a dying city--I just don't know how Detroit call pull it off. In terms of both finances and facilities.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pista04 View Post
    I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.
    When Paris bided for 2012 Summer Games, almost everything was already built. Yet, London did good the last two days and Chirac his usual crap. They lost because their budget was higher when London just lied about theirs. In the end, London never could stop going wild financially.

The crisis is helpfull to lots of people. I remember even Cinquanta used it during the 2009-10 season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.
    I LOVE this idea.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast