Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

Why did the US not bid on the 2022 Games? It's going to be over 20 years since SLC even if the US gets the Summer Games in 2024.

...Where is the US wanting to host the summer 2024 games?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up... Some of the cities interested are better than when they bid for the 2016 games......but a few of the locations I just look at and think - "but you'd be oh-so perfect for the winter games...."
Apparently if the US doesn't get the summer 2024 games, then they currently would like to bid for the 2026 winter games. (It looks like 2022 and 2016 are having the most struggles at this point.) Also fun fact, France currently has interest in the 2024 games because it would be exactly 100 years since they had the summer games...

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Please, no! No more Olympics in the US. I lived in Chattanooga, Tn (also my hometown) for the Atlanta games, and worked at TVA at the time, noteworthy because the whitewater events were held near Chattanooga on the Ocoee River, whose flow in that area is controlled by TVA dams. Everyone I knew hunkered down and avoided it all as much as possible. I went to some of the leadup equestrian events at Conyers (in north GA), and will never forget exchanging greetings with Aussie turned American eventer Phillip Dutton -- but please no. Olympics are a nightmare all around. Must look to see if there are any Olympic repelling spells I can conjure up, lol.

PS Best thing I remember about all the hubbub was TVA's actually pretty cool commercial -- anybody see/remember it? Wish it would get posted on youtube. Depicts kayakers in the dry riverbed yelling "Where's the water?" "Ou est l'eau?" etc. in different languages. And the voiceover along the lines of -- athletes will come from the world over for the 96 games, but the water comes from only one source ... TVA. Of course that was a bit silly - the water was from nature. But I still liked the commercial.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I'd love to see a Denver / Vail bid. Denver has several large venues already which should help with costs. I think Vail and surrounding resorts would make a great location for the alpine events. The problem is I don't think any American city wants the headaches, scrutiny and debt that will inevitable come with the games.

I'd love to see a Denver / Vail bid. Denver has several large venues already which should help with costs. I think Vail and surrounding resorts would make a great location for the alpine events. The problem is I don't think any American city wants the headaches, scrutiny and debt that will inevitable come with the games.

Actually from the sources I can find, there are multiple contenders and interested cities in the US for both the 2024 and 2026 games.... But, if the US were to get the summer games, then I don't they'd the host the winter. ...And since it's decently far away from bidding season for both games, I'm sure more places across the world will show interest while others will lose it

peg

Medalist
And Calgary -- the thing is, some of the venues are still in use, and notice some of the comments under those photos hotly stating that fact. So they could still be in use despite their age, at least in some cases. Bobsled/luge tracks could last for many, many decades, if maintained and if there were use for them. But many facilities fell immediately into decay, like those noted from Athens and Torino.
Canada Olympic Park - the Calgary Olympic site that includes the ski jump - is still heavily used. My sister lives minutes from there, and I've driven by it numerous times and seen plenty of people. I can't vouch for the ski jump being used, mostly because that's a pretty niche sport, but the site itself is definitely used in the winter. It's also a little misleading to photograph an outdoor winter venue in the summertime. A ski jump landing pad is going to look different in the summer than it does with a couple of feet of snow on it.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I think if Oslo stays in they will be pretty much handed it. If they drop out then Kazakhstan. This would be almost like a home games for Rus so you will hear Rus si ya chants :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would love to see the games in Kazakhstan, though. Denis Ten has done a good job with his shows there. Such a country, I also want to visit Kazakhstan.

Bartek

On the Ice
I live in Kraków, Poland and my city wanted to bid but unfortunately we had a referendum and people decided against it because they think it's not worth spending so much money and the investment won't repay.

sinless69uk

Rinkside
I just think the games have become too big.
My favourite games were probably Calgary and Lillehammer, when there were far fewer events.

The IOC seems obsessed with expanding the programme - I thought that things had turned the corner when baseball/softball were dropped from 2012 but no, they immediately added another 2 sports again.

pista04

On the Ice
I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
I just think the games have become too big.
My favourite games were probably Calgary and Lillehammer, when there were far fewer events.

The IOC seems obsessed with expanding the programme - I thought that things had turned the corner when baseball/softball were dropped from 2012 but no, they immediately added another 2 sports again.

The Lillehammer Winter Olympics were amazing. The people were great. It was my second trip to a Winter Games and worth the money.

Panpie

On the Ice
I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.

Do you mean the summer Olympics? How could they do Alpine skiing events in Detroit?

Amei

Record Breaker

Between corrupt politicians and the unions, they'll make the Detroit games the most expensive ever.

makaihime

Final Flight
Detroit would be perfect.

:unsure: Detroit would never accept it even if they were handed the games. They will never get back the cost of hosting (especially a winter Olympics) from tourism alone and it'll drive them even further into bankruptcy. They already have a $20 billion dollar problem on their hands, they don't need another.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. :laugh: I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.

Panpie

On the Ice
. . . I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.

If the past Olympics cities are willing to host again, that would be a good idea. Also, the Winter Olympics need to be held somewhere near a mountain range, so Midwestern cities would never be able to hold the winter games unless the Alpine skiing events are removed from the games. Reno/Tahoe would probably be good, at least as far as snow and mountains are concerned.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am rooting for Almaty. It is a beautiful city near the high mountains. It will draw tons of tourists from Russia. D10 could compete at home Olympics :)

NYT article is biased. "Almaty, Kazakhstan, a city of 1.4 million in a nation with an autocratic government and a dubious human rights record..." Really? Of course, Lviv in a country-bankrupt with a permanent jumble would be a good place.

D10 if it is who I think it is will probably be retired by then.