New pair: DeeDee Leng/Simon Shnapir! | Golden Skate

New pair: DeeDee Leng/Simon Shnapir!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Woohoo! ...I guess? Best wishes to both of them, and I hope Marissa finds a partner too (or has she already? Brain, speak to me...)

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Good. And yes, I hope Marissa finds someone soon too. Next year's nationals is gonna be weird with all those musical chairs.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Cross posting from the C/S split thread

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see Leng and Shnapir as a particularly strong or logical match. He brings fabulous pairs skills to the table but he's not the most exciting performer- although I do think he clearly worked really hard and improved a lot the past 2-3 seasons. Castelli, on the other hand, was a rockstar right from their junior days and that's why they worked. Even when they had errors, her charisma saved the performance every single time. He needs a partner with star quality to show off and he's effective at doing that. With Leng and LeDuc, they were the rare pair where you watched him more than her. It seems like Shnapir's team just went down the line of available girls from Nationals with semi consistent triples and now we have a team of the 2 less interesting halves of L/L and C/S. I do get that the pressure was probably on to find someone fast before GP deadlines and she's agreed to go to Boston, which I'm sure was a big plus in her favor as he's a Boston native who was originally looking to stay with Castelli and their current team at SCoB.

I do wish them well though. I loved C/S and thought L/L had potential and I'm inclined to root for a skater who got dumped by their longtime partner after a successful Olympics when there was a chance for them to move up even more. And its not like an US pairs are lighting up the PCS world so maybe Leng & Shnapir will do just fine. Z/B proved that any team who works hard and shows up on the day can be successful at Nationals.

It will be weird to see Marissa and Simon at Nationals but not together. They were the extremely rare US pair team who were actually novices together and have been a fixture at Nationals for forever in skating time. And while I think the split means a downgrade for both at least initially--she is simply the best US pair girl by many miles and there's no one available for her at his level especially on lifts and throws---I'm mostly just glad they're both going to keep skating. The US pairs scene is still pretty anemic- although much improved from where we were in 2010 or even 2012- and they both bring a lot to the field.

jcmerman

Rinkside
I don't know why, but when I first heard about this pairing, I got so excited! I am so happy for Simon. I actually loved C/S together, but life goes on and I hope that both Marissa and Simon have much success with their new partners. I think Simon and LeeLee will make a wonderful pair. I think this is exactly what was needed. The pot needed to be stirred. Maybe now the US can start having some international success with great pairs teams!

centerpt1

On the Ice
I really like DeeDee- loved her Nationals SP with her previous partner. She was a pleasant surprise. She brings solid skating skills, and she's fairly new to pairs so there's room for growth. It will be interesting to see her with Simon.

jcmerman

Rinkside
I really like DeeDee- loved her Nationals SP with her previous partner. She was a pleasant surprise. She brings solid skating skills, and she's fairly new to pairs so there's room for growth. It will be interesting to see her with Simon.
You nailed it! My thoughts exactly!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With Leng and LeDuc, they were the rare pair where you watched him more than her. It seems like Shnapir's team just went down the line of available girls from Nationals with semi consistent triples and now we have a team of the 2 less interesting halves of L/L and C/S.

This. Exactly.

I'm MUCH more interested in who LeDuc will partner with. I thought he had charisma at Nationals, and she was just out there with him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
With Leng and LeDuc, they were the rare pair where you watched him more than her. It seems like Shnapir's team just went down the line of available girls from Nationals with semi consistent triples and now we have a team of the 2 less interesting halves of L/L and C/S..

This. Exactly.

I'm MUCH more interested in who LeDuc will partner with. I thought he had charisma at Nationals, and she was just out there with him.

Well, maybe they couldn't shine with bad chemistry and maybe they will bring out the best in each other if they are a right match.

flutzy13

On the Ice
This. Exactly.

I feel like it's going to be LeDuc and Castelli almost by default unless for some reason that rumored tryout was a total fail. The other interesting question there is where they would train.

Do we know who else Shnapir tried out with? The AP article referenced multiple tryouts. I suppose those skaters would be options for LeDuc too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I feel like it's going to be LeDuc and Castelli almost by default unless for some reason that rumored tryout was a total fail. The other interesting question there is where they would train.

Do we know who else Shnapir tried out with? The AP article referenced multiple tryouts. I suppose those skaters would be options for LeDuc too.

Any word on whether Shnapir (before choosing Leng) had a tryout with Mary Beth Marley??
Or on whether Marley is in the mix regarding LeDuc's possibilities??

Mary Beth Marley ‏@mbmarley19
i believe that everything happens for a reason, i was just given edvience today that my journey is only beginning.
#feelinghopeful

8:00 PM - 18 May 2014
https://twitter.com/mbmarley19/status/468224543400529921

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss Marissa & Simon together, but I wish Simon & DeeDee all the best in their partnership.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any word on whether Shnapir (before choosing Leng) had a tryout with Mary Beth Marley??
Or on whether Marley is in the mix regarding LeDuc's possibilities??

Mary Beth Marley ‏@mbmarley19
i believe that everything happens for a reason, i was just given edvience today that my journey is only beginning.
#feelinghopeful

8:00 PM - 18 May 2014
https://twitter.com/mbmarley19/status/468224543400529921
Mary Beth is even shorter then Marissa and Simon and Marissa were not a good fit in terms of height so a team of Simon and Mary Beth would be even worse.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^I think golden was referring to the possibility that Mary Beth could come back to skate with LeDuc.

Speculation, of course, but I think this could be a very good partnership.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Where is the Land of Dexter? Marissa just tweeted that she is there. I hope she has a tryout!

flutzy13

On the Ice
Mary Beth is even shorter then Marissa and Simon and Marissa were not a good fit in terms of height so a team of Simon and Mary Beth would be even worse.

DeeDee's only a tiny bit taller than Marissa so I don't see why Mary Beth would have been automatically ruled out based on her height. He's been used to a much smaller partner for 8 years, it helps create spectacular lifts and throws and the judges never really seemed to mind a big height difference (not only with C/S but with D/R who were basically a more consistent, higher base value version of C/S). The bigger reason I could see a potential partner being hesitant about MBM is how abruptly she left the sport (not judging her, she obviously made the right move to take care of herself) and how long she's been away. Marley and LeDuc could certainly be an interesting possibility.

I assumed she was refering to the tv show!

Yeah it sounds like she's on a well deserved vacation in Miami where the show Dexter takes place.