Chan's plans for the next quadrennial- your best guess | Golden Skate

Chan's plans for the next quadrennial- your best guess

rolandgarros

Match Penalty
What will the plans for Chan be the next 4 years. My best guess is he will take 2014-2015 off for sure, maybe take 2015-2016 off too, come back for 2016-2017 (and possibly skate 2015-2016, that one is the iffy one), then make a decision whether to try for the 2018 Olympics and skate the 2017-2018 or not, largely based on his comeback results and the level of skating of others.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think he'll take 2014-15 off (this is all but confirmed, right?). 50% chance he'll talk about a comeback but never return. 50% chance he comes back in 2015-16. If he wins a fourth World title, he'll retire. If he doesn't but gets otherwise excellent results, he'll stay in until 2018 or until he is no longer competitive, whichever comes first.

I don't think Olympic gold is in the cards for him, but he might follow the Canadian tradition of a second silver. But it's equally possible he'll be a no-show, or off the podium, depending on what the skating gods think of team silver. :laugh: So much can change in four years.

desertskates

Medalist
Take 14-15, and 15-16 off and come back for 16-17 to so-so results. After that he will discover his true passion is the food of northern Italy and open many successful restaurants.
Ok, I made the last part up :laugh:
But I think if he take more than one year off, he'll lose valuable ground. We've seen a lot of good from him, so if the new guys move in and take over, I'm fine with that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I hope Nam develops dramatically by Pyeongchang and can beat Patrick if he ever comes back

I would be completely fine with this. It would mean Nam's skating would have progressed to an unbelievable level and men's skating would be potentially dominated by him the subsequent quad.

It's been a while since there was a great Canadian men's rivalry.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He gets a university degree and enjoys non-skating life. He writes a book. He performs in shows and does charity work. He tries out for 2016-17 in a Yuna-style comeback, see how he stacks against the rest of the field at that time and competes in worldsd, then makes decision to come back for 2018 at that point.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
He gets a university degree and enjoys non-skating life. He writes a book. He performs in shows and does charity work. He tries out for 2016-17 in a Yuna-style comeback, see how he stacks against the rest of the field at that time and competes in worldsd, then makes decision to come back for 2018 at that point.

This.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That's probably how it will turn out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What is known is that he will attend university this fall, that he will not participate in 2014 GP, that he wants to win another Worlds title to equal Kurt's and that even he does not know if he will go for the next Olympic, though he does not rule it out. The Olympic experience is exhilarating and additive to him. If he goes again, it's likely not with the heavy burden and obligation of winning gold for Canada.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I agree with all that except the last part. After seeing how he stacks up with the rest of the world at age 27 in his comeback try, he decides to not go for 2018 as he sees there is no point. Well actually I dont even see the comeback for 2017 happening but could see that part happening.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That might depend on Team Canada at that point too, if the Team Event still exists in 2018. Chan, a la Plushenko, might want to come back for the easy medal (maybe even gold if Canada happens to have upped the ante by that point).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Or more like, a la Plushenko, he might come back to help his country win gold. If Canada wants gold next time, they better use Chan, since I can't see Canada overtaking Russia in either pairs or women. Ice dance is a toss-up depending on how the musical chairs works out. 27-year-old Chan still has a good chance of beating whoever Russia sends for men.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Or more like, a la Plushenko, he might come back to help his country win gold. If Canada wants gold next time, they better use Chan, since I can't see Canada overtaking Russia in either pairs or women. Ice dance is a toss-up depending on how the musical chairs works out. 27-year-old Chan still has a good chance of beating whoever Russia sends for men.

It's hard to say at this very point, but you'd have to imagine that Nam would be helpful. Or even someone like Reynolds who won his team event segment (or at least most people think he should have, and arguably Machida too).

Alba

Record Breaker
If he is not competing this season at all, I think he will be back the next one, 2015-2016. No way he's waiting two season for a comeback.
I don't think he is done with the competitions, yet. I know it's too early to tell now, but the men's field is not like the ladies.
I can still see him competing in 2018.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Is Reynolds still going to be competitive in four years though? Not to mention, the Team LP was the best he ever skated--that isn't exactly his customary level (URs galore). He contributed more to Canada's Team silver than Chan did, but I wouldn't say he's a better bet overall.

The Team Event requires reliable skaters who can place near the top. While Chan isn't extremely consistent per se, I see him as having the best shot of placing near the top and keeping his team in contention. Gold will be difficult regardless, of course.

I don't "have to imagine" Nam will be helpful. He's a complete wildcard at this point. I don't even know how he'll do next season, let alone in four years.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't know Chan's plan, and it seems he is not sure himself at this point. He sees an Olympic goal as a grueling 4 year plan he's not ready to commit to yet, but maybe a year by year decision after taking the post Olympic GP season off will be his new attitude and plan. I don't see him coming back the year before the Olympics but rather earlier to go for another Worlds title and go on from there.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is Reynolds still going to be competitive in four years though? Not to mention, the Team LP was the best he ever skated--that isn't exactly his customary level (URs galore). He contributed more to Canada's Team silver than Chan did, but I wouldn't say he's a better bet overall.

The Team Event requires reliable skaters who can place near the top. While Chan isn't extremely consistent per se, I see him as having the best shot of placing near the top and keeping his team in contention. Gold will be difficult regardless, of course.

I don't "have to imagine" Nam will be helpful. He's a complete wildcard at this point. I don't even know how he'll do next season, let alone in four years.

To be fair, Reynolds also had an excellent skate to win 4CC last year... over Hanyu, no less.

Chan will always pull in high artistic scores because his skating is just a level above everyone... and I don't see it diminishing too much, and even if it does, I don't see his scores diminishing because in the judges' minds, he's the best complete skater out there.