Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 90

Thread: Chan's plans for the next quadrennial- your best guess

  1. #16
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,402
    If he is not competing this season at all, I think he will be back the next one, 2015-2016. No way he's waiting two season for a comeback.
    I don't think he is done with the competitions, yet. I know it's too early to tell now, but the men's field is not like the ladies.
    I can still see him competing in 2018.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,789
    Is Reynolds still going to be competitive in four years though? Not to mention, the Team LP was the best he ever skated--that isn't exactly his customary level (URs galore). He contributed more to Canada's Team silver than Chan did, but I wouldn't say he's a better bet overall.

    The Team Event requires reliable skaters who can place near the top. While Chan isn't extremely consistent per se, I see him as having the best shot of placing near the top and keeping his team in contention. Gold will be difficult regardless, of course.

    I don't "have to imagine" Nam will be helpful. He's a complete wildcard at this point. I don't even know how he'll do next season, let alone in four years.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,502
    I don't know Chan's plan, and it seems he is not sure himself at this point. He sees an Olympic goal as a grueling 4 year plan he's not ready to commit to yet, but maybe a year by year decision after taking the post Olympic GP season off will be his new attitude and plan. I don't see him coming back the year before the Olympics but rather earlier to go for another Worlds title and go on from there.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Is Reynolds still going to be competitive in four years though? Not to mention, the Team LP was the best he ever skated--that isn't exactly his customary level (URs galore). He contributed more to Canada's Team silver than Chan did, but I wouldn't say he's a better bet overall.

    The Team Event requires reliable skaters who can place near the top. While Chan isn't extremely consistent per se, I see him as having the best shot of placing near the top and keeping his team in contention. Gold will be difficult regardless, of course.

    I don't "have to imagine" Nam will be helpful. He's a complete wildcard at this point. I don't even know how he'll do next season, let alone in four years.
    To be fair, Reynolds also had an excellent skate to win 4CC last year... over Hanyu, no less.

    Chan will always pull in high artistic scores because his skating is just a level above everyone... and I don't see it diminishing too much, and even if it does, I don't see his scores diminishing because in the judges' minds, he's the best complete skater out there.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    536
    Great that you can read in judges mind

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Chan will always pull in high artistic scores because his skating is just a level above everyone... and I don't see it diminishing too much, and even if it does, I don't see his scores diminishing because in the judges' minds, he's the best complete skater out there.
    Exactly. And Reynolds will be 27 by the next Olympics, same as Chan. The chances he'll keep his quads are about the same as Chan keeping his skating skills, if not worse, even if Kevin competes throughout the quad and Chan doesn't. The chances of him fixing his UR issues are about as high as Chan fixing his axel. Therefore: Chan is the best bet for the Team Event if Canada wants even an outside shot at gold (and a secure silver).

    Of course, a lot can change in four years. Maybe Chan will lose all his jumps and Kevin will magically start pulling high PCS.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    If he is not competing this season at all, I think he will be back the next one, 2015-2016. No way he's waiting two season for a comeback.
    I don't think he is done with the competitions, yet. I know it's too early to tell now, but the men's field is not like the ladies.
    I can still see him competing in 2018.
    Isn't this guaranteed that he's sitting out this season?

  8. #23
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by pointyourtoe View Post
    Isn't this guaranteed that he's sitting out this season?
    Sorry, I don't understand your question. What do you mean?

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Great that you can read in judges mind
    Hah, well, I can also read their scores. He's got the highest PCS scores in both programs.

    Unfortunately I don't think Reynolds can do anything to get into the upper echelon of high PCS. He's seen as a technical skater, although he's made considerable artistic progress.

  10. #25
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Great that you can read in judges mind
    Tbh what CSG said is based on the judges marks not mind reading. I'm not a Chan fan but his SS are the best, only Dai is on the same level, and I gues artistry is fine. Not my cup of tea but the judges do think so.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    536
    I definitely do not deny his skills. I just refered a little to the best overall skater definition, which everyone can understand diffrently. Best overall I think should mean, the best technically and the best artistically, but he is definitely not the best out there technically

  12. #27
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I definitely do not deny his skills. I just refered a little to the best overall skater definition, which everyone can understand diffrently. Best overall I think should mean, the best technically and the best artistically, but he is definitely not the best out there technically
    I agree with you about best overall skater definition. Everyone of us understand it differently.
    I don't think Chan is the best technically, but he is good there as well and the judges do seem to think that he is the best in PC.
    So, based on this you may say he's a very good overall skater.

    The judges might change their mind though, we don't know with all the young skaters like Yuzuru. Who knows....

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I definitely do not deny his skills. I just refered a little to the best overall skater definition, which everyone can understand diffrently. Best overall I think should mean, the best technically and the best artistically, but he is definitely not the best out there technically
    So who is best technically AND best artistically? Best overall means best overall.

    There are those with theoretical higher BV but they are not actually able to execute them in real competitions to result in highest TES.

    Hanyu has the highest TES with Chan's close behind. But Hanyu certainly does not have best PCS and far from best artistically.

    Chan however has the best overall scores as well as the best LP score while Hanyu has the best SP score.

    You may argue who's the best overall but "best technically and best artistically" only serves to deny but will not define.

  14. #29
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,195
    With the PCS inflation, I refuse to acknowledge all kinds of world records. PCS nowadays is just ordinal system in disguise.

    Overall, I do think PChan is the best all-rounded skater at the moment. Technically he might not be the best but if figure skating is always about the jumping technique then Timothy Goebel should have been the gold medalist in 2002.

    There have been teenagers that could land quads, but none of them has the basic skills to the decent level to perform as a senior, not to mention their presentation was bad. So yes, PCS is very important because you have to use PCS to tell who have better artistry between someone like Goebel and Yagudin.

  15. #30
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    With the PCS inflation, I refuse to acknowledge all kinds of world records. PCS nowadays is just ordinal system in disguise.

    Overall, I do think PChan is the best all-rounded skater at the moment. Technically he might not be the best but if figure skating is always about the jumping technique then Timothy Goebel should have been the gold medal in 2002.

    There have been teenagers that could land quads, but none of them has the basic skills to the decent level to perform as a senior, not to mention their presentation was bad. So yes, PCS is very important because you have to use PCS to tell who have better artistry between someone like Goebel and Yagudin.
    I fully agree with you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •