Beautiful Ice Dance Couples over the years | Golden Skate

Beautiful Ice Dance Couples over the years

skateluver

Rinkside
Talking about the I/K split and how good looking ice dance couple they were, I started to think how many beautiful ice dance couples we have seen over the years. I remember falling in love with figure skating (and ice dance) watching Maia Usova and Alexander Zuhlin. Another striking couple from that era was Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko. Since then I have appreciated the good looks of Virtue/Moir, Navka/Kostomarov, Krylova/Ovsyannikov and Belbin/Agosto. Who are your favorites??

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Weren't the Protopopovs pair skaters, rather than ice dancers?

My pick: Torvill & Dean. Especially Christopher Dean when they were competing. :love: But they've both aged wonderfully, and sometimes I feel like Jayne Torvill looks better today (with the right makeup) than during their comeback in 1994.

Agreed about Virtue/Moir. Such a perfect picture.

I'm iffy about Usova/Zhulin. They're objectively very good-looking, of course, but something about Zhulin feels so sleazy to me...

skateluver

Rinkside
^Weren't the Protopopovs pair skaters, rather than ice dancers?

My pick: Torvill & Dean. Especially Christopher Dean when they were competing. :love: But they've both aged wonderfully, and sometimes I feel like Jayne Torvill looks better today (with the right makeup) than during their comeback in 1994.

Agreed about Virtue/Moir. Such a perfect picture.

I'm iffy about Usova/Zhulin. They're objectively very good-looking, of course, but something about Zhulin feels so sleazy to me...

I agree but at that point I didn't know about Zuhlin's sleaziness. I also must say that he hasn't aged well at all.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's certainly possible that knowing about his personal life affected my perceptions of their skating. I really try not to let that be a factor, because I'm a huge advocate of "Judge people only by what they put on the ice." But something about Zhulin just... feels off to me. Their rhumba at the Olympics was hard to watch, and I wouldn't have even put them ahead of Grishuk/Platov in that segment. :slink: (I do think they might've deserved to win the FD and the OGM though, considering T/D and G/P's rule violations. They were a great team, and it's sad they never won Olympic gold).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Davis / White
Sinitsina / Katsalapov
Belbin / not including partner
Waever / Poje
Krylova/Ovsyannikov
Klimova / Ponomarenko
Fedor Andreev / not including partner
Oksana Domnina / not including partner
Capellini / not including partner
not including partner/ Piezarat

I try to avoid threads like this but what they hey....!

I think that in the past and currently there are a lot of pretty couples and individuals in ice dance- and the field has a lot of diversity, so there's something for everyone's tastes, imo. That being said, since we're doing couples, I think that Meryl Davis and Charlie White were/are a very attractive pair with a unique look that I like. I also like Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje which I think have more of a classic look about them (even though they're classic in different ways).

Last edited:

snejina

Rinkside
Annisina - Peizerat, Krylova - Ovsyannikov, Pechalat - Bourzat, Virtue - Moir, former Ilynikh - Katsalapov, Capellini - Lanotte

TMC

Record Breaker
I try to avoid threads like this but what they hey....!

I think that in the past and currently there are a lot of pretty couples and individuals in ice dance- and the field has a lot of diversity, so there's something for everyone's tastes, imo. That being said, since we're doing couples, I think that Meryl Davis and Charlie White were/are a very attractive pair with a unique look that I like. I also like Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje which I think have more of a classic look about them (even though they're classic in different ways). I also think that back in the day, Gordeeva and Grinkov were certainly attractive.

You said exactly what I thought :)

I have always, always found people more attractive (thinking of the word "attractive" in its basic meaning, in that something "attracts" my attention/appreciation AOT "beautiful", which is more tied to culture, societal norms) when their appearance is somewhat off the standard definition of what is considered good-looking. It's very gut-instinct -based. When I was a kid I loved Corey Feldman, because he looked less "sanitized pretty boy" than Corey Haim. I realize that it's equally silly to assume that someone is more quirky, interesting, whatever when their appearance is not conventional as it is to assume all pretty people are airheads - just can't help it ;)

I find Meryl Davis very attractive, although some would say she is not beautiful in the way Tessa Virtue or Tanith Belbin are beautiful (symmetrical features etc.). Tessa's & Tanith's beauty is almost perfect, but not attractive to me because it is too perfect. As for Scott, Ben & Charlie; easy to see why they would be considered beautiful, just not attractive to my eye. P/B are both extremely attractive IMO, Also Gwendal Peizerat - maybe it's the hair? Nikita - I really do not see the attraction, but I had a huge girl crush on Elena - those eyes :love:

Now if we could have as a couple Meryl Davis and Andrew Poje... :love: They would steam the ice right from under them!

Rossig

On the Ice
My pick: Torvill & Dean. Especially Christopher Dean when they were competing. But they've both aged wonderfully, and sometimes I feel like Jayne Torvill looks better today (with the right makeup) than during their comeback in 1994.

Maybe they weren't that attractive off the ice (sometimes hairstyle, clothes didn’t help). But on the ice, when they were dancing, they were gorgeous. I couldn’t take my eyes of them.

At the moment I find Capellini/ Lanotte very attractive.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Yanovskaya and Mozgov - neither are overwhelmingly attractive face wise but they ooze sex appeal.
Winkler and Lohse- If tall Aryan is what you want, then that's what you get.
Papadakis and Cizeron-She is the hottest thing on ice right now.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, but Gabriella Papadakis has a nose like a witch out of a Russian fairy tale.
And Tessa Virtue is a beauty but Scott Moir ugh.