Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Zijun Li vs. Kaetlyn Osmond: The Unsung Rivalry

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Since there are a slew of young Russians and young Americans who are already far ahead of her at this point, and while she can improve alot more so can they.
    How are they far ahead of her? In skills? or consistency?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I agree with CSG. This is just uncalled for and a little pathetic.

At 17 years old of course Adelina needs some refinement but calling everything she does "incredibly ugly" is just plain childish. If you're older than 10 years old, I'm embarrassed for you.

Besides, I think this is very beautiful.
    Exactly. Sotnikova has gorgeous extension & lines that many other girls competing currently would do well to learn from, in addition to her big jumps and clean edges in her footwork. Admittedly her programs don't always work or please everyone, but if you ever get the chance to watch her practicing you will see that she has fantastic basic skating skills.

Back to the thread, I am more excited by Zijun that Kaetlyn. Her FS at Worlds in 2013 was divine, and it's such a shame that she had injury problems this year. It might have been better for her to take more time away from the ice to fully recover, but I suppose no one wants to do that in an Olympic season, but I hope she can come back strong in the autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    How are they far ahead of her? In skills? or consistency?
    Consistency. Again, because of the injury Kaetlyn's problems were more understandable this season, but even last year when she had some good results she didn't manage to deliver clean free programs. Compare that to Lipnitskaia & Radionova who deliver on a much more regular basis, and manage to have 3-3 combinations and all the triples.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uhh View Post
    Exactly. Sotnikova has gorgeous extension & lines that many other girls competing currently would do well to learn from, in addition to her big jumps and clean edges in her footwork. Admittedly her programs don't always work or please everyone, but if you ever get the chance to watch her practicing you will see that she has fantastic basic skating skills.
    I agree she has very nice leg extension, but to say she has nice lines overall is really a stretch. Her upper body posture is akward, and I don't think she uses her arms very well. I also don't like the way she lands the first jump in a 3-3's - so bent-over.

Back to the thread, I am more excited by Zijun that Kaetlyn. Her FS at Worlds in 2013 was divine, and it's such a shame that she had injury problems this year.
    It was only good because she landed all her jumps. If it wasn't for that, it would've been a pretty bland program seriously lacking in interpretation in many parts of the program where the music was asking for much more.
    Consistency. Again, because of the injury Kaetlyn's problems were more understandable this season, but even last year when she had some good results she didn't manage to deliver clean free programs. Compare that to Lipnitskaia & Radionova who deliver on a much more regular basis, and manage to have 3-3 combinations and all the triples.
    This I agree with. It's something she really needs to work on if she ever wants to contend for a medal. And she should, as I don't think she's any less talented than these other skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by uhh View Post
    Consistency is very important because it allows skaters to build their scores through the season and set themselves up to compete on the big stage. Miki Ando (2011), Carolina Kostner and Alena Leonova (2012), and Julia and Adelina this year all had strong seasons and built momentum to finish their season with great scores.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I agree she has very nice leg extension, but to say she has nice lines overall is really a stretch. Her upper body posture is akward, and I don't think she uses her arms very well. I also don't like the way she lands the first jump in a 3-3's - so bent-over..
    I love Adelina's leg lines. Gorgeous stretch and extension. I think her basic skating is very strong: deep edges, nice speed and easy flow....she's far better than a lot of people want to give her credit for.

I don't find her posture as awkward/bothersome as some people do but it could be better. I think her use of her arms is fine...it's more their utilization in the choreography that sometimes leaves me wishing for more.

I agree re: her landings. If there is one thing I'd like to see from her it's better flow out of some of her jumps. She has excellent spring, pop and height in her jumps but her landings sometimes lack good flow. She loses the speed and drops her back too much. Serafima Sakhanovich has that same issue. She lands very deeply in her knees and drops her back.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't say she has deep edges. She certainly opts for transitions and in-between moves, and it's ambitious but sometimes makes her programs a bit staccato/choppy. And she doesn't always "hit" the edges in her turns/transitions, the way Kim/Kostner do.

I found her FS this year not to be beautiful or elegant, but rather quirky... it still drew me in, but it was a stark contrast to the maturity and fluidity of Kim and Kostner. Same with the SP... Kim's was emotional, Kostner's was ethereal and Sotnikova's had attack/attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wouldn't say she has deep edges. She certainly opts for transitions and in-between moves, and it's ambitious but sometimes makes her programs a bit staccato/choppy. And she doesn't always "hit" the edges in her turns/transitions, the way Kim/Kostner do.

I found her FS this year not to be beautiful or elegant, but rather quirky... it still drew me in, but it was a stark contrast to the maturity and fluidity of Kim and Kostner. Same with the SP... Kim's was emotional, Kostner's was ethereal and Sotnikova's had attack/attitude.
    I don't think her edges are deep as in a "deep as Carolina's" way, but to say she rarely does more than 3 crossovers at a time, she gets a lot of speed and is able to carry that speed (if not gain speed) through transitions. With the top vets gone, I'd put Adelina's skating skills near if not at the top of this post-Sochi group.

I agree that she packs so many transitions into her program that sometimes it looks slightly choppy/unfinished. Hopefully she'll continue to refine her skating which should take care of that.

I didn't mind Adelina's FS this year, compared to last year where I liked the middle part but hated the rest of it. This year's FS was interesting but not in a bad way. The music gets a little too busy at the end for my tastes BUT she matched the energy and really performed which made it enjoyable for me. Not everything is my cuppa but if you perform the hell out of it, 9 times out of 10 I'll still enjoy it. She did just that and that's why I enjoyed her FS.

I do think Adelina needs a serious overhaul though. Her appearance on the ice is a little tacky: too dark tights and gloves, weird dresses, wearing all of those beaded bracelets...hopefully with all of the money she's getting from her Olympic win, she'll hire a good stylist for next season...hopefully.

Custom Title
    I actually think there are other skaters like Pogorilaya and Edmunds who have lovelier skating skills.

Hopefully now that she's getting the high marks, she'll put less transitions in and focus on putting more refinement in her skating.

And YES, her appearance is tacky with the nude gloves (which are still apparent) and odd dresses. A stylist would help her immensely.

Banned
    Zijun all the way !!
    why are we bringing up Osmond whose hype lasted for less than 6 months ? and lost the FS to her 2nd tier teammate ?

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Zijun all the way !!
    why are we bringing up Osmond whose hype lasted for less than 6 months ? and lost the FS to her 2nd tier teammate ?
    Aaah, there you are! I was wondering where you were Sky_fly. Considering you never pass up an opportunity to trash her, I figured you'd be the first person to chime in on anything involving Kaetlyn.

I actually think there are other skaters like Pogorilaya and Edmunds who have lovelier skating skills.

Hopefully now that she's getting the high marks, she'll put less transitions in and focus on putting more refinement in her skating.

And YES, her appearance is tacky with the nude gloves (which are still apparent) and odd dresses. A stylist would help her immensely.
    Edmunds' SS are really good too. Definitely right in line with Gracie, though given her TR I'd put her slightly ahead of Gracie.

Pogo's are good too but Adelina has much better lines by comparison. Anna needs better posture and much more extension through her legs. As of now she has a sort of clunky appearance IMO. I'm a big fan of Anna though. She's a great technician, I love her competitiveness and boy is she supermodel gorg!

Custom Title
    Zijun all the way !!
    You mean like how you hyped Gracie to win Sochi/Worlds and she couldn't even win a medal...

Speaking of losing the FS to 2nd tier teammates -- remember the US Classic when Gold lost to both Hicks and Cesario in the FS (and 2nd to Hicks overall)... not to mention she lost to both her teammates in the FS at Worlds?

FYI, Li lost to Osmond at both Worlds and the Olympics.

Banned
    You mean like how you hyped Gracie to win Sochi/Worlds and she couldn't even win a medal...

Speaking of losing the FS to 2nd tier teammates -- remember the US Classic when Gold lost to both Hicks and Cesario in the FS (and 2nd to Hicks overall)... not to mention she lost to both her teammates in the FS at Worlds?

FYI, Li lost to Osmond at both Worlds and the Olympics.
    Grace finished an impressive 4th place at the Olympics beating Julia
    highest ranked NA at 2014 Worlds and s the first US lady to break the 200 mark in total score, a feat even Kwan did not achieve

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Edmunds' SS are really good too. Definitely right in line with Gracie, though given her TR I'd put her slightly ahead of Gracie.

Pogo's are good too but Adelina has much better lines by comparison. Anna needs better posture and much more extension through her legs. As of now she has a sort of clunky appearance IMO. I'm a big fan of Anna though. She's a great technician, I love her competitiveness and boy is she supermodel gorg!
    I think Gracie's arms, posture and movements are more elegant, but Edmunds' overall skating fundamentals are better.

In some of Anna's exhibitions you can really see that she has excellent edges and basics... if she spent more time refining and completing her movements, I think she has a real shot at being in the top 3 Russians over the next quad.

Tripping on the Podium
    Grace finished an impressive 4th place at the Olympics beating Julia
    highest ranked NA at 2014 Worlds and s the first US lady to break the 200 mark in total score, a feat even Kwan did not achieve

Gracie finished 4th because Yulia and Mao failed.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast