Trivial FS Pursuit | Golden Skate

Trivial FS Pursuit

L

Ladskater

Trivial FS Pursuit

The ice has melted (in most rinks) and the skaters are cooling their toes down at the beach - so it's time for some figure skating trivia. Here is a good one:

The first world figure skating champions were held when?

Open to whom only?

Organized where?

Ladskater

J

Jaana

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit

Wasn´t a competition held in St. Petersburg (1896), which probably was open for the men only? They also held the Centennial On Ice competition in St. Petersburg in 1996 (Ilia Kulik won the men´s event there).

Marjaana

L

Ladskater

Jaana:

You are right! Wow, I am impressed. I thought no one would be able to get that right away. Hm....I will have to think of something more difficult for next time.

Thanks for the response!

Ladskater

S

Show 42

That looks good. We should get that game for the forum. We could have continual "trivial" figure skating questions.....42

H

heyang

Well, I got kinda curious and am now the high bidder. If I win, I'll play host to this game show.

S

Show 42

Sounds good, heyang, can't wait.......:D 42

H

heyang

Editing - I had posted that I lost the auction, but the seller must have multiples because I just an offer to buy it from her.

So, I guess the games will begin as soon as I receive it.

S

Show 42

Alright, let the games begin.........42

T

tdnuva

About those early competitions...

Anyone knows if they really were open only to men? Cause in 1902 Madge Syers competed in that worlds, too. And was listed in between the men - in second place. ;-)

D

Dee4707

Can we make up our own questions until Heyang gets the game?

Dee

I

icenut84

tdnuva - I believe Madge Syers competed for the first time in 1902 but she was the first woman to ever compete. Although there weren't specific "men only" rules in place, I think women were banned from competing after that year. They decided to create a women's competition a few years later.

D

dlksk8fan

Madge Syers was the reason that they made a women's only competition. She was just too good and some say she should have won!

S

Show 42

Good idea, Dee.......I'll dig out my skating books.......42

Okay, here's one.......Who replaced coach Edi Scholdan at the Broadmore after the 1961 plane crash that killed most of the elite skaters and coaches from the U.S.? 42

R

rgirl181

I don't know the answer to your question, Show, but I just wanted to say "Great thread topic, Lad! Especially for the summer!" and "Way to go, Heyang, for getting the figure skating Trivial Pursuit game!" Is there a way we can get Heyang a prize of some kind for getting that?

BTW, Lad, I <strong>KNEW</strong> the answer to your first question! I swear I knew it! Russia! 1896! (Only because I watched and have on tape the Centennial on Ice competition--the one Jaana and I agree on so much;) ) But I didn't see the thread until just now. So I probably blew my chance and won't know any of the rest of the answers:lol:

I'll throw another question into the pot, though.
What six elements must a skater demonstrate command of in order to pass the USFSA Pre-Preliminary test?

Rgirl

B

berthes ghost

"Who replaced coach Edi Scholdan at the Broadmore after the 1961 plane crash that killed most of the elite skaters and coaches from the U.S.?"

My guess is former Eurpean champ Carlo Fassi.

S

Show 42

Good job, Berthe..........The correct answer is Carlo....ten points for you (are we keeping score? ) 42

D

Dee4707

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>ten points for you (are we keeping score? )[/quote]
I think we should keep score and should the person who gets it right have another question? Is there another question right now?

Let's get some rules going. Let's get down and dirty.:lol: :lol: :rollin: :lol:

Dee

D

dlksk8fan

Pre-Preliminary Tests:
"Free skating"- one must demonstrate command of waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, half flip, half lutz and a one foot spin.

MIF-perimeter stroking, basic consecutive edges(foreward inside outside, backward inside outside) and a waltz eight.

B

berthes ghost

OK, who was the last person to win both singles and pairs at US nationals in the same year?