Trivial FS Pursuit | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Trivial FS Pursuit

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit

Okay--here's more questions:
1. Who is known as the most accomplished ladies' skater of compulsory figures?
2. Who is known as the most accomplished men's skater of figures (at least by Dick Button)?

And since the question is "person who won both pairs and singles" at US nationals most recently, is the answer Kristi Yamaguchi?

dpp

S

Show 42

Doris, I think you're right........I went back too far.....42

T

tharrtell

I was thinking Kristi also for pairs/singles national titles. As to the most accomplished lady at figures - a complete and total guess, but Annette Poetzch?

B

berthes ghost

Not Kristi.

Ken was the last person to win in the same year, 1972. He also finished 4th in both at the Olys.

Rudy won singles in 96, Kristi in 92, so even if it wasn't in the same year, it's still not Kristi.

I'm gonna guess Trixi Scuba for figures. No, I take it back and say Cecelia Cooledge, I think I read that somewhere recently and was shocked.

The men is a tough one, especially since it's Dick's opinion. My first impulse is to say Hayes Jenkins, as Dick seems to love him. Then again, everyone seemed to have gone to Carlo to improve thier figures, so maybe it's him.

B

berthes ghost

Oh, I guess Show gets 10 points for correctly answering Ken Shelly. Who's keeping score?

R

rgirl181

dlksk8fan,
Hey, Donna, I blew my own question! I asked, "What six elements must a skater show command of to pass the USFSA Pre-Preliminary test?" and forgot to put "in the 'Free Skating' segment." So you not only get 10 points for answering it correctly, you get 20 points for answering Idiot Rgirls incorrectly worded question:lol:

Donna's answer:
Pre-Preliminary Tests:
"Free skating"- one must demonstrate command of waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, half flip, half lutz and a one foot spin.

MIF-perimeter stroking, basic consecutive edges (foreward inside outside, backward inside outside) and a waltz eight. [One minor detail: In "Skating for Dummies"--and of course that's Rgirl's favorite reference book:D --it says "forward perimeter stroking." But I'd put my money on you before the "Dummies" book. I say right enough.]

So dlksk8fan has 20 points. Lad, since you started the thread, do you want to keep score?

As for the other question, "Who was the most recent person to win in both singles and pairs?" Dang! I even know Ken Shelly (slightly, through a friend) and I should have known that. How embarrassing for someone who was the 1984 University of Utah Pairs Team Trivial Pursuit Champion. But that was back when my memory resided in my brain:lol: I'm going to get clobbered here.
Rgirl

D

Dee4707

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'm going to get clobbered here.[/quote]
Rgirl:rolleyes: .......................hm-m-m-m.......need I say more?

This is so much fun. I just wished I knew some of the answers.:lol: :rollin: :lol:

Is Lad keeping score? If so, could you post at various times what everyone's score is?

Dee

S

Show 42

Okay, score totals so far (I think)
dlk in the lead with 20 points
Berthe, me, and Jaana each have 10 points........42

D

dlksk8fan

Wow I have 20 points for answering one question! yippie:D It's a good thing I am unpacking my books so I can find some answers to these skating questions.

S

Show 42

Okay, here's another 10 point question. We all know that Irina Rodnina, the great Russian pair skater, had two partners, Ulanov and later Zaitsev. What was the name of the female skater that Ulanov fell in love with and ultimately caused the break-up of Rodnina and Ulanov? 42

B

berthes ghost

Ludmilla Smirnova.

I only hope that poor Ludmilla asked Irina to be her bridesmaid, as she won silver behind her at worlds five years in a row. ;)

R

rgirl181

Badda-bing, Berthes Ghost! Even I know you got that one right. For those of us who know we can't win, can we start betting on who will? Hmm, Berthes got a killer FS memory, but then Donna's got all those skating books.... Okay, I'm betting Berthes Ghost will win. Sorry, Donna. It was a tough choice;)
Rgirl

D

DORISPULASKI

Berthe's Ghost, You're right that Kristi didn't win ladies and pairs in the same year, but she did win them in different years.
She and Rudi won in 1989 and 1990. And they won Jr. Worlds both as a pair, and in different years as singles.

Too bad Rudi never made it higher than 3rd at Worlds; then they would have the full set (jr worlds, nationals, worlds).

If we were playing Jeopardy instead of Trivia, there is a question that they are the answer to.

BTW, I believe Trixie Schuba got the highest ever grades for figures. She scored in the high 5's. (Figures grades were generally way low.) So I would give 5 points for whoever guessed here, for giving 2 answers (Colledge and Schuba)

No one has gotten the man's figure expert yet.

dpp

B

berthes ghost

Well, since I got 1 and a half right, I'll ask 1 and a half questions. :lol:

1. Who was the first person to land a back flip at the Olympics?

0.5 Who was the last person to land a back flip at the Olympics?

Bonus question: Who was the last person to LEGALLY land a back flip at the Olympics?

S

Show 42

Wow, Berthe's gonna be tough to beat....recap on the score:

Berthe's now has her previous 10 points, plus 10 more for getting Smirnova's name right, and I guess 5 more for guessing Trixi's name for the "skating figures" question so that puts us at:

Berthe has 25 points, dlk has 20 points, and Jaana and I each have 10.......

Try this one........Janet Lynn's last name isn't really "Lynn". She took her mother's maiden name because her real last name was tricky to spell........that real last name is............?

B

berthes ghost

Norwicky.

I just looked it up and it's spelled Norwicki.

I also looked up Smirnova's nane. Is that cheating? I knew it was Norwicki off the top of my head, I just didn't know how to spell it.

B

berthes ghost

Actually, this game really is "fair". 26 different people could have known Norwicki, I just posted it first. Oh well, every game has flaws I guess.

D

DORISPULASKI

The first person to land a back flip was Terry Kubicka, but I don't know whether he ever did it at Olympics. But I guess Terry anyway for the first.

The last person I saw do it (illegally) was Surya Bonaly at Olympics.

dpp