Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top Knot Bun: Not Only Practical But Big Fashion Impact Too

Custom Title

Top Knot Bun: Not Only Practical But Big Fashion Impact Too

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/art...na-top-knot/#1

Many people criticized GG's top knot during the OG. I'm not so sure why. Radionova also looks great in it. I had 14 years training of ballet. So I always think it is the most practical hair-do not just for ballet but also for daily lifestyle too. With more than 35 years practices, as the article sites, I mastered it pretty well even be able to do it with one hand. I no longer dance but my skill has been in high demands during my kid's ballet tests, recitals and skating competitions.

I'm not going to say that GG is the trendsetter but she definitely the forefront one.

Medalist
    I'm with you there. It looks pretty, tidy and classy IMO, though I like variation in hairstyles as well as costume styles in a competition: buns, braids, ponytails, and loose hair. I wish I was skilled enough to twist the Gracie bun! :P

Tripping on the Podium
    I liked GG's bun as well. It's an elegant, classic style.

I think it depends on the girl and also the position on the head. I think Radionova looks a lot better without it. As far as Gold's I am indifferent.

Boycott the ISU
    Grace looks attractive and stylish off the ice. Skating however, she looks like a little girl trying to imitate her grandmother's hair and makeup. It's an awful juxtaposition of old and young. Next year I half expect her to wear gaudy jewelry.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Grace looks attractive and stylish off the ice. Skating however, she looks like a little girl trying to imitate her grandmother's hair and makeup. It's an awful juxtaposition of old and young. Next year I half expect her to wear gaudy jewelry.
    Yup, this. I'm guilty as sin of the untidy topknot in casual situations, so I'm well aware of it's practicality. But with the prim red lips it was just a bit much for a girl so young, imho.

Custom Title
    I often times do a messy bun to get my hair out of my face for various reasons, and at the end of the day it's all personal preference. But with both Radionova and Gold I dislike the bun.

Radionova, I feel they style the bun too large for a petite skater, it really looks disproportionate to her head. Gold, like others have voiced, it's her overall styling that needs work; I liked her hairstyle from last season much better when her hair was bundled lower on her head.

Custom Title
    My favorite hairstyle of Gracie's was the one last year with the French braids framing her face. As with many of the rest of you, I prefer her with a lighter lipstick. But BusyMom, I agree that the topknot is very distinctive. Where I live a ballet school is nearby, and I often see young girls walking together on the street. You can always tell the ones going to or from the school because of their hair--and their posture, of course. This hairstyle also seems to make the neck look longer, though that also may be a function of dancers' wonderful posture!

Custom Title
    ^^ I agree that the French braids do look good on most skaters. But it need more skills and time to work on them. I'm so guilty of have too little patient to accomplish them since my kid had AD/HD-Hyperactive(She couldn't sit still for more than 2 minutes).

Ballerinas are distinctive with their postures for sure. Especially when they were in group. I have a friend who sent her kids to ballet classes for the posture reason alone.

I might be bias towards Radionova. I thought she looks great no matter what. Even in the Zombie dance, with her hair all fuzzy, she looked amazing adorable. But with her hair down she looks absolutely gorgeous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Yup, this. I'm guilty as sin of the untidy topknot in casual situations, so I'm well aware of it's practicality. But with the prim red lips it was just a bit much for a girl so young, imho.
    it seems to be the de riguer of the day so to speak but I wish we would stop using initials and assume everyone knows who we are talking about. Because Gracie Gold could have been Gordeeva and Grinkov of G squared or ....It also makes it hard to bring newcomers in when they have no heck what we are talking about or who we are talking about or even hae a clue how to look it up GG. Sorry for the pet peeve tangent though I too am guilty of this.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Double yup. It was the combination that did it. She looks lovely with her hair loose but as BusyMom points out, the knot/bun is practical. Personally, it would be sooooo nice to have enough hair and the skill to do a French braid. Can't figure that out nohow!

General comment: hope this thread doesn't turn into a Gracie-bashing fest like another one did recently.

Ven -- I get what you're saying about initials and kudos to you for being concerned about newbies. It did take me a while to pick up on some of them but began to understand that most people use them just b/c typing a whole name takes too long!

Custom Title
    I think Gracie would look kind of washed out with pale lipstick - she's so fair. But quite frankly, I don't much care about their hairstyles as much as their skating. I think long hair is distracting. Gracie is a very pretty young woman and I don't think she looks like she's dressing up as her grandmother or whatever the comment was.

I love the ballet look and am all for the high bun. If anyone has ever watched the movie Center Stage, I used to be obsessed with Amanda Schull's look. Unfortunately in real life, I can only manage a passable bun using a net. French braids are actually easier for me. To me, a low bun can be more aging than a high one. But I suppose people's perceptions depend on what they've been exposed to and what stereotypes have been ingrained in them.

Banned
    shows how much impact Gracie is making in US Figure skating, she is setting a trend for ladies figure skaing
    also trend, fashion seems to follow her, IMG, Vogue, Pandora, Cover Girl

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think Gracie would look kind of washed out with pale lipstick - she's so fair. But quite frankly, I don't much care about their hairstyles as much as their skating. I think long hair is distracting. Gracie is a very pretty young woman and I don't think she looks like she's dressing up as her grandmother or whatever the comment was.
    I also have no problem with her red lipstick but I would love to see her exploring more varieties in her make-up next year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast