Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top Knot Bun: Not Only Practical But Big Fashion Impact Too

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    I also have no problem with her red lipstick but I would love to see her exploring more varieties in her make-up next year.
    I think it's a nice look for off-ice (seems like every girl her age is all about red lips) and for certain programs, but there were times it felt so out of place. Her look is so specific--very 1940s, and with her fondness for printed scarves and button-down shirts rolled up at the sleeve, I'm betting she has a Rosie the Riveter poster somewhere. It didn't go at all with her Gershwin SP for example; Three Preludes is from the mid 1920s. I wonder if had she gone all out with the thin drawn-on brows and Clara Bow lips, perhaps the screechy music could've had a slightly warmer reception (by making sure the program was perceived as a period piece as opposed to generic pretty music, which it is NOT). At the very least she could've gone for the Hollywoodized version of the 1920s look and copied Carey Mulligan in The Great Gatsby (in fact Carey has the same hair/eyes/skin coloring as GG).

Exactly. Some of the complaints are much ado about nothing.

The bun is the most practical hairstyle for skaters. Sometimes skaters go for the windblown hairstyles for angsty themes, but how do they skate with hair in their faces going 20 miles an hour? It's not comfortable. It's itchy. It may even hurt.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    My favorite hairstyle of Gracie's was the one last year with the French braids framing her face. ...
    ... I agree that the French braids do look good on most skaters. But it need more skills and time to work on them. ...
    I'm on Team Braids all the way. I miss the visual interest and sheer prettiness of Gracie Gold's. They made me sit up and take notice of her (as opposed to the topknot just blending into the crowd, IMO).

And for me, the braids subliminally enhanced an aura of confidence, which I liked. Gave me the impression of: "I'm so well-prepared to compete that I don't have to worry about how I will skate. I easily can afford to give extra time and attention to making these killer braids happen."

GG's braids looked great off ice too.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    .... General comment: hope this thread doesn't turn into a Gracie-bashing fest like another one did recently. ...
    I would say that this thread puts GG in good company -- meaning that the only other one devoted to hair centers around the ever-popular Charlie White. The reviews of his new style are not unanimously favorable, but I do not think anyone over there is bashing him.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    This: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1007250...oss-10-ml-tube
    along with a lower braided bun would look lovely on her. And Ashley, for that matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    This: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1007250...oss-10-ml-tube
    along with a lower braided bun would look lovely on her. And Ashley, for that matter.
    That is a very pretty pink. People with pale skin tone always pull off the pink shades nicely. Darker skin looks great with orange or earth tone I think.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I would say that this thread puts GG in good company -- meaning that the only other one devoted to hair centers around the ever-popular Charlie White. The reviews of his new style are not unanimously favorable, but I do not think anyone over there is bashing him.
    I hope it stays this way too. These two-pages shows us the possibilities that people could have different opinions in a very constructive way. Talking about hair-style and make-up is fun and put us in lightening moods.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    shows how much impact Gracie is making in US Figure skating, she is setting a trend for ladies figure skaing
    also trend, fashion seems to follow her, IMG, Vogue, Pandora, Cover Girl
    Hah, yes, because she's clearly the first person to ever wear a top knot bun.

Nevertheless, I think GG's bun looks very elegant and suits her.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I didn't mind Gracie's new do. It worked well with the look Frank cultivated for her last season. It was elegant and simple and helped tie the new packaging together well.

But top knots/buns are not new to skating at all. So I wouldn't necessarily say Gracie has started a trend...you can't "start" something that was there from the beginning.

I am interested in seeing what direction Gracie's skating will take. Her whole image was manufactured last year b/c they needed to turn her around and make her a contender for Sochi. Mission accomplished. It was a definite step up. But now that she has the positioning she needs to be at the top, I wonder if she will develop an actual style or personality on the ice, or if she/Frank will stick with the pwetty ice pwincess image.

Honestly, the more I though about it, my preference would have been this: short program with red dress, keep the lips (if she must) and lose the bun for a braid. For the long, I can see why the bun works in most opinions, it showed off the unique closures on her dress. But the red lips were jarring against the delicate blue. I think what bothered me about the bun the most is that is not all her hair. There's some mesh-y donut thingamajigger in there.
    I'm excited to see what she brings next season, I hope it truly suits her and gives her confidence.

Honestly, the more I though about it, my preference would have been this: short program with red dress, keep the lips (if she must) and lose the bun for a braid. For the long, I can see why the bun works in most opinions, it showed off the unique closures on her dress. But the red lips were jarring against the delicate blue. I think what bothered me about the bun the most is that is not all her hair. There's some mesh-y donut thingamajigger in there.
    I'm excited to see what she brings next season, I hope it truly suits her and gives her confidence.
    Yeah, those help the bun to keep it's shape. She probably has enough hair to do a bun but the donut is probably necessary given all of the spinning and jumping she has to do.

Custom Title
    Gracie's lipstick is the wrong shade of red for her skin tone. I think that is what is so jarring about it.

As for the mesh thing in the bun--I think that is to secure it without hairpins that could fall out on the ice and lead to disaster if a blade hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think a lot of skaters who wear buns use those. I remember Michelle always wore one. Keeps everything in place. For darker haired people, it was never that noticeable. Maybe on blond hair it looks a little awkward?
    Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed Michelle had one, her bun always looked so natural. You're probably on the right track with the hair color thing. I tried one once (and I'm blonde) and it looked awkward and artificial.
    But, I'm sure Gracie, like all young girls, likes to change up her hair, so who knows what we'll see next

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    That is a very pretty pink. People with pale skin tone always pull off the pink shades nicely. Darker skin looks great with orange or earth tone I think.

I hope it stays this way too. These two-pages shows us the possibilities that people could have different opinions in a very constructive way. Talking about hair-style and make-up is fun and put us in lightening moods.
    Absolutely -- let's hear it for the girly-girls!

(This girly-girl wants Charlie's mop to make a come-back... )

Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed Michelle had one, her bun always looked so natural. You're probably on the right track with the hair color thing. I tried one once (and I'm blonde) and it looked awkward and artificial.
    But, I'm sure Gracie, like all young girls, likes to change up her hair, so who knows what we'll see next
    I had to go back and edit my post. I saw "mesh" but didn't pay attention to the "donut" part you mentioned.

The mesh thing I was talking about in this post is a little cover Michelle used to fit over her bun. She didn't wear the donut, which is why she used the mesh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Absolutely -- let's hear it for the girly-girls!

(This girly-girl wants Charlie's mop to make a come-back... )
    Charlie's hair deserves its own hashtag like Jason's ponytails.

Here's some cute idea for braid's fan: http://www.weddingsbylilly.com/wp-co...-long-hair.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I had to go back and edit my post. I saw "mesh" but didn't pay attention to the "donut" part you mentioned.

The mesh thing I was talking about in this post is a little cover Michelle used to fit over her bun. She didn't wear the donut, which is why she used the mesh.
    Ok, the cover makes a lot of sense. I see the donut's purpose, but when I tried it, it was clunky and weird. But, to each their own I use these things: http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-bar...FQiUfgodJzcAFQ
    They make a bun mega secure. But, If Gracie likes the donut, then so be it. And god knows, I'll never test my 'do at the level she does.

And yay for the girly girls having a normal chat. Very nice

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast