Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finding You Love Skating too Late

Rinkside
    It is never too late. USFS has an adult program that now includes young adult. There is a testing structure and events here and when you are older, all over the world. The devil himself showed up to award us our medals in Oberstdorf two weeks ago. One of the greatest attribute of skating is it is a lifelong activity! I know many who started in their twenties and have all their doubles and perform level 4 spins. BTW I started at 43 and skate pairs and free and am as fit as I was at twenty five (now 53)

http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=46

Rinkside
    Congrats on getting started skating. If it makes you feel better, I'm at least 25 years older than you and I started skating about 18 months ago. I'm taking lessons and learning very basic moves but I'm so glad I did it. Better to start late than not start at all. And if you stick with it long enough, you never know what might be in your future in terms of competing as an Adult. If you want to try pairs or dance, there may be an Adult male skater who wants to try it too. Or as your skills improve, you may be ready to partner with someone a little more experienced. Good luck and keep at it.
    Regarding skates, I have a nice pair of Riedells that were around $150 on sale. If I get to the point of doing any jumps, may want to trade up eventually, but for an advanced beginner they're great.

Rinkside
    Hi all, just thought I'd give you all a quick update, since you've all been so kind with advice I'm finishing up my first two-month semester on Thursday and have signed up for one more of group lessons (although the class sizes are ridiculously small and we keep losing students so it's practically semi-private lessons now). Currently learning to hold an edge on a circle, make figure-eight-style turns on one foot and on two feet, and work on simple two-foot spins.
    My instructor sent me to a skate shop with an owner whose expertise she swears by so that I can finally ditch the horrid blue plastic rentals. Sounded simple enough, and since I know very little about skates, I took her word and trusted the guy. Came home today with a pair of Jackson Freestyles, which the skate guy says he puts most non-competitive adults in but which my instructor was a little surprised to hear and says they might be a bit too high-level for me. Am currently panicking that I've made a huge mistake- any reassurances? Or did I really blow it? Thanks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bwayrose7 View Post
    Hi all, just thought I'd give you all a quick update, since you've all been so kind with advice I'm finishing up my first two-month semester on Thursday and have signed up for one more of group lessons (although the class sizes are ridiculously small and we keep losing students so it's practically semi-private lessons now). Currently learning to hold an edge on a circle, make figure-eight-style turns on one foot and on two feet, and work on simple two-foot spins.
    My instructor sent me to a skate shop with an owner whose expertise she swears by so that I can finally ditch the horrid blue plastic rentals. Sounded simple enough, and since I know very little about skates, I took her word and trusted the guy. Came home today with a pair of Jackson Freestyles, which the skate guy says he puts most non-competitive adults in but which my instructor was a little surprised to hear and says they might be a bit too high-level for me. Am currently panicking that I've made a huge mistake- any reassurances? Or did I really blow it? Thanks.
    Don't panic. Adults often need boots that are indicated for a higher level than we are. There's a simple reason for this: we're heavier.

Example: I'm in Elites, which are rated for doubles. I'm working on my Lutz. They're the perfect support for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2