Skaters who wear eyeglasses | Golden Skate

Skaters who wear eyeglasses

76olympics

On the Ice
Skaterboy speculated that a pet thread was imminent, so I had to think of something else trivial to talk about!

As a person who is really nearsighted, I always notice when a public figure has glasses. I know Dorothy Hamill had them ( squinting at the score board) and Charlie White wore them during the DWTS rehearsals.

Which skaters need them? I think I remember a contact lens advertisement from Tanith, but I am not sure about that.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez does. He skates with contacts but he said it's not very comfortable.

I wonder about Daisuke...he seems to squint as well.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since wearing glasses now has it's own thread, I just thought I might point you towards a conversation on this very subject that we had a few months ago.

After Europeans, a discussion about glasses arose in the Banquet pictures thread, after pictures were posted of Carolina Kostner and Maxim Kovtun wearing glasses.

As we were getting off topic, I then took the discussion into another thread. I wear glasses myself, and was curious about skaters who wore glasses whilst on the ice. And I got some very interesting answers!

So, I hope you also find the answers in there interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

anyanka

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner, for sure. She wears these oversize schoolmarm ones that are not at all flattering for her face. I think a sleeker design would frame her face better.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm seriously nearsighted w/ astigmatism and have worn glasses or contacts since age 8, so the story about Jason & his glasses kind of blew me away. I just always assumed that skaters who need them would always use contacts. However, not really wanting to see the audience (major distraction) makes complete sense to me.

So, my question is: how much does a skater need to see while performing? What kind of visual info, if any, is needed to perform jumps/spins? Do you have to know where you are on the ice in any given part of a program? How about pairs & ice dance? Seems like more visual input would be needed when you're performing w/ a partner.

Insights will be greatly appreciated!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Since wearing glasses now has it's own thread, I just thought I might point you towards a conversation on this very subject that we had a few months ago.

After Europeans, a discussion about glasses arose in the Banquet pictures thread, after pictures were posted of Carolina Kostner and Maxim Kovtun wearing glasses.

As we were getting off topic, I then took the discussion into another thread. I wear glasses myself, and was curious about skaters who wore glasses whilst on the ice. And I got some very interesting answers!

So, I hope you also find the answers in there interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

Oh, haha! I see that you and I wrote about Carolina at the exact same time. :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So, my question is: how much does a skater need to see while performing? What kind of visual info, if any, is needed to perform jumps/spins? Do you have to know where you are on the ice in any given part of a program? How about pairs & ice dance? Seems like more visual input would be needed when you're performing w/ a partner.

Insights will be greatly appreciated!
In the Meryl & Charlie DWTS thread was wrote that since Meryl didn´t have a deep perception, Charlie will stay with her during warn ups and groups, to guide her, and during competition she will memorize the marks on the ring to guide herself.

gkelly

Record Breaker

Whether they need glasses/contacts on the ice depends what kind of visual limitations they have without them, and how severe.

For myself, skating at a much lower level but sometimes sharing ice with juniors and seniors, I need glasses for driving or TV watching but not for skating. I can tell where the other skaters are on the ice, I just might not be able to tell who they are.

However, when there are several strong skaters of similar build and coloring on the ice at the same time, it is useful to know who is who from a distance -- specifically, which one is the clockwise jumper -- to be able to predict where they might be headed so I can stay out of the way.

Someone with worse eyesight than mine might need correction even alone on the ice, though.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think it depends on the skater and how their sight affects them. While I'm not a figure skater, if I went for too long without my glasses or contacts the blurry vision would give me a headache.... so all kinds of bad things would be happening if I tried to skate without them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason's eyesight also gives us cute kissncry moments. Like getting his score after the short program at Skate America.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez does. He skates with contacts but he said it's not very comfortable.
since I just remembered where I read that:

Q: Right now you’re wearing glasses. Do you use contacts to skate or you just skate without them?

A: I can’t skate without contacts, but it’s uncomfortable. I have myopia and without glasses or contacts I just see enough for not crashing. I don’t know where I’m in the rink. And despite sometime contacts hurt me, it has never happened during competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alex Shibutani wears eyeglasses.

And Alex has worn them since a young age.

I seem to recall that Maia and he both tweeted other pics at the time he was selecting his most recent (oh-so-cool ;)) pair of frames, although I don't have links to those tweets at my fingertips.​

Just for grins: I love this old "Who wore it best?" compilation (eyeglass edition) of the Shibs and Davis/White.

Jeffrey Buttle wears glasses ... although I do not know whether he did during his years as a competitor.

Jeremy Abbott:

Regarding those already mentioned in the thread:
- Around the time of Vancouver, Charlie White had gold-rimmed frames, IIRC.
- Hardly a rare sighting (sorry, no pun intended), but here is Jason Brown with his glasses.

For more laughs: super-silly spectacles on Team USA skaters.