Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: True Actresses/Actors on the Ice

Tripping on the Podium

True Actresses/Actors on the Ice

Who are some skaters that take you to a whole new level of art? Who captures you by the moment as if you are skating with them? Who tells you a story while skating?

Philippe Candeloro definitely fell into this category for me. I love him when he was in his prime and I was a teenager. Looking back, I find him a little cheesy, maybe not to my current tastes, even, but I definitely think he's a storyteller.

Klimova/Ponamarenko definitely also embodied that for me. I remember watching some of their programs in my youth and just being really confused or even uncomfortable (they're so sensual sometimes!). But now, I love them. This program in particular was seared onto my 12-year-old brain for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIUzczNc-4

On the Ice
    Klimova/Ponamarenko definitely also embodied that for me. I remember watching some of their programs in my youth and just being really confused or even uncomfortable (they're so sensual sometimes!). But now, I love them. This program in particular was seared onto my 12-year-old brain for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEIUzczNc-4
    While I think K/P were beautiful skaters, probably I wouldn't call them true actors. They were very good at dramatic style, but for instance I can't imagine them being good comedians.

For me, Alexei Yagudin was the first one to capture me into his programs as he created incredible moments back at the 2002 Olympics. And I think he's gotten even better since as far as story telling on ice goes. I still very much enjoy watching him skate in present days.

And then Stephane Lambiel, who has also gotten even better since retiring and his exhibition numbers right now are a whole new level of art. He has the ability to act on every note of the music he's skating on. He created a class and style of his own, that can never be confused. I think he is now a very skilled choreographer and his absence in competitions was very much obvious after the 2010 Olympics.

And finally Daisuke Takahashi, who is able to create a moment for the audience no matter the programs or choreography he gets. He has the ability to turn absolutely any program into something special and is one of the very few skaters that can entertain without having to jump. He can skate to a very wide range of music (from classical, to hip hop, latino, rock n' roll and blues) and is very attentive to details. La Strada is a very good example of acting on ice.

There are probably more but when I think about story telling on ice, these 3 skaters pop up in my mind automatically.

Katarina Witt

Custom Title
    I agree with Stephane and Daisuke. Jeffrey Buttle did pretty good in telling the stories too. No wonder he becomes one of the successful choreographer in a short time.

My favourite is his Ararat program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNSQb9heLA&feature=kp

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    One only needs to just list him by one name: Kurt.

Custom Title
    Another point for Daisuke who does a very good job of claiming a song and making heartfelt renditions of it.

I vote for Candeloro & Kurt. Though they are very different, I think they both are great entertainers.
    Stephan, Daisuke and Jeffrey, I would call them dancers rather than actors.

I am now thinking about actress on the ice.
    I don't know why, nobody has came in my mind, so far. Maybe Witt...

Custom Title
    Takahashi is the one that immediately comes to mind with skating as an art form.

In terms of acting/conveying a story, I would probably choose Witt or Browning.

It's ice dance, but I've always thought Virtue/Moir were sensational at emoting the themes of their programs.

I'll also have to give a special mention to Kim's Bond SP... she totally seemed like she was a Bond girl, just the right amount of flirty/sex appeal/intrigue.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    ^^Yu-Na's Bond was superb. Definitely nailed the sultry/sexy/femme fatale vibe perfectly.

I'd say Oksana Baiul definitely brought the drama in her performances. She'd go so deep into the music and the character it was almost disconcerting, especially during her pro days. She was definitely an actress and brought the drama to the ice.

I saw some of that in Adelina's Black Swan exhibition this year. Really dramatic, into character, gritty/un-pretty...I liked it. I know a lot of people didn't but I like that she stepped outside of the box and went that route. She committed to the character 100% and I respect that.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Sasha Cohen.

Viktor Petrenko, Rudy Galindo, Evgeni Plushenko (comedy, drama, robotic beatboxing, he does it all), Johnny Weir. Stephane, yes, I think so. Especially in some of his exhibitions like "My Body Is A Cage," "A Chorus Line," etc. Although I love Daisuke and the way he interprets music, I'm not sure if he really portrays different characters as such. Different emotions and moods, yes, but he's still always Dai to me.

Banned
    Sonja Henie, protoype for the ultimate skater-Hollywood actress
    Gordeeva / Grinkov, promoted the cheesy couple on ice charisma
    Zhenya Plushenko - Mr. Funny Man
    Davis / White - promoted disney, whimsical on the ice
    Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Yuzu Hanyu regional superstars

in the new girls
    I see Gracie becoming a name if she wins World titles, she has the hollywood connections to make it big
    US is a big media, her beauty is what the common Americans find very attractive, also Marin Honda could eclipse what Mao has achieved star wise Marin is already a child actress in Japan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossig View Post
    While I think K/P were beautiful skaters, probably I wouldn't call them true actors. They were very good at dramatic style, but for instance I can't imagine them being good comedians.
    Here I'd have to disagree. What you're saying is that K/P don't have range, which is true of many actors. For example, Garbo didn't really have wide comedic range (her funny performance in Ninotchka was more because she functioned as the "straight man" to the other characters), but you couldn't beat her when it came to drama. A great actor doesn't have to be great in every style, though some certainly are. I'd say that K/P were marvelous actors in terms of conveying romantic, lyrical, or tragic emotions.

Even more impressive were their predecessors, Bestemianova and Bukhin, especially Bestemianova. She had a plain face with rather outsize features, which she used to great effect especially in some of the couple's professional programs. One where he portrayed Rasputin and she played the young Tsarevich was simply beyond description. The way she conveyed the boy's fear of Rasputin's power was haunting in the extreme and would have looked good on any movie screen.

I vote yes for many of the other people that various posters have mentioned so far, including V/M, Yagudin, Takahashi, and especially Kurt. Mao Asada is tremendously expressive both in face and in body movements. I once noticed that when I googled images of her, she seemed to have a different expression in almost every picture. I'd also add Michelle Kwan and Katia Gordeyeva.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast