Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: 13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Not sure if you meant the "guilt" thing seriously. If you did, no guilt needed!

As a musician, your post delighted me. It doesn't matter how one comes to love music -- only that you get there. For me, one of the special pleasures of figure skating (and dance) is seeing a piece take shape in 3D, so to speak. I love seeing how choreographers treat pieces I grew up with and watching skaters and dancers bring them to life.

One of the best examples is Virtue/Moir's exquisite Mahler program from 2010. Watching them, my jaw hit the floor -- never in a million years would I have thought of that music for ice dance, but wow! Same for Carolina's 2014 "Ave Maria." I've never liked the piece very much but Carolina made me hear it in a different way. Now it will always remind me of her lovely skating in Sochi.

Then there was the Shibs' Michael Jackson program this year. MJ doesn't exactly float my boat either (to say the least) but the Shibs made it work for me. Anything that can actually make me listen to MJ, even for a few minutes in a skating program, is nothing short of a miracle!

It's great that we all love skating for so many reasons and bring so many different perspectives to it. Which is just one of the special pleasures of GS. All the best!
    Great post! No, I wasn't being serious about the guilt thing; in fact, it's a "guilt" that I feel very fortunate to have. Music and skating are great on their own but you put them together and it can be pure magic. I feel strongly also about both of Patrick's Four Seasons programs. With his footwork and transitions and smooth skating, Patrick helped me hear Four Seasons in a new way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Not trying to spam the thread, but here's another one:

You remember the names of figure skating coaches (at least the high-profile ones) and recognize them when they're sitting in the kiss and cry. You participate in discussions about "Who is the best coach for Skater X." (I typically don't weigh in on such discussions, but I do recognize some of the coaches).
    Yes. At the Sochi World exhibit in Vancouver back in 2010, I actually recognized the cardboard cut outs of Tarasova and Rodnina clutching Cheburshka dolls, and made my friends question my sanity because I knew who the coaches were! Then I put them on a wild goose chase around the building looking for Moskvina.

Custom Title

*You refer to skaters by first name or last name only (it was rather annoying during Sochi to go back to saying (with non-handcare fans) "the skater from Canada" or "the Japanese guy" when I'd gotten so used to referring to them as "Patrick" and "Yuzuru" here; just one example of many)
    Joshua, Jason, Max, Artur - yep.

*You know what most of the abbreviations for ice dance/pairs teams are (D&W or D/W or Marlie, V&M or V/M or Voir, etc)
    Nope and I think those "name smash" things like Marlie or Voir are really dumb

*You don't mind reading protocols after competitions and have figured out what everything means and now use that shorthand for jumps when posting on GS
    Yep

*You know various other skating acronyms (for competitions, scoring, etc)
    Yep

*You wonder, "What is Skater X up to now" and go to GS to find out, because you care deeply about what certain skaters have been up to since they retired
    Sometimes

*You are wondering in June what Skaters X, Y, and Z will skate to next season and what their new programs will be like
    Depends on the skater and their current programs. For example, Josh had barely finished his LP at Nationals and I was bawling at my computer for him to please keep it for next year. On the other hand, I've been looking forward to Max's new long program since oh, about...September...

*You read/watch every interview you can with your favorite skaters
    Always!

*You rewatch old skating programs on YouTube or VHS tapes (yes, I still have a large skating collection of VHS tapes that I recorded from TV)
    All the time

More:

- You aren't even in the same room as the TV and you recognise the movie by the soundtrack (did this with Man in the Iron Mask one night to my parents' astonishment)
    - You can't watch a movie now without thinking, "Wow, Skater X should skate to this!"
    - You start mentally coming up with programs in your head every time you hear a new piece of music

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

More:

- You aren't even in the same room as the TV and you recognise the movie by the soundtrack (did this with Man in the Iron Mask one night to my parents' astonishment)
    - You can't watch a movie now without thinking, "Wow, Skater X should skate to this!
    Oh, yeah! All the time!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11