13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4.5 for me. I think they just asked the wrong questions TBH :laugh:

I got three right. (We all know how to pronounce Ul-rik Sal-kov, right? :) )

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Cezar!!! And Sam, I agree....if they had asked other questions it could've been embarrassing for me. :eek::
I'm right around the 5 mark as well...

I was uncertain about whether or not a skater can drill a hole in the ice and fall through.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Better indicators:

You still debate the outcome of the Ladies Olympic event... from 1980.

You can name all the Soviet/Russian Olympic Champions, as well as the Americans and Canadians, from all skating events, off the top of your head.

Although a piece of skating music may seem original, you recall that a junior used it 20 years ago.

You're very excited when skaters from countries like Brazil qualify for the Olympics.

You have actually kept up with the goings-on of Charlie White's and Jason Brown's hair.

You care about Meryl and Maks.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You have actually kept up with the goings-on of Charlie White's and Jason Brown's hair.

:rofl: :hb:

Have shared publicly pictures of your favorite skater's pet :slink:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Better sign: you are most useful to your friends every four years, during the Winter Olympics.

Got 4/13, and then 4/6 :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Another "list" article from Buzzfeed to garner hits and cash in on the pre-Sochi hype. Note that the date of the article is February 2, 2014, well before Plushy stepped onto the ice for the men's portion of the team event.

They would have done better to ask us commentators on GS for signs of how we are obsessed. TontoK had it right. (Linda or Annett?)

I will give them props for that Lego pairs JPG, though. (Also a nice tie-in since the Lego Movie also opened the week the article was published.)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Better indicators:

You still debate the outcome of the Ladies Olympic event... from 1980.

You can name all the Soviet/Russian Olympic Champions, as well as the Americans and Canadians, from all skating events, off the top of your head.

Although a piece of skating music may seem original, you recall that a junior used it 20 years ago.

You're very excited when skaters from countries like Brazil qualify for the Olympics.

You care about Meryl and Maks.

I would also add:

You watched all of "Tessa & Scott" or "Ice Diaries" and care about what happens to those people long after.

You attend your local symphony's performances based on whether the music was used in a memorable free skate.

You dismiss bad fashion on gossip websites by saying "that's so figure skater!" in design, and can match the bad outfit to a costume.

You still think the best piece of gossip in sports in the last twenty years (besides Nancy vs. Tonya) was the Maia/Sasha/Pasha love triangle that ended with Maia bashing Pasha's head against the bar at, of all places, Spago.

You still debate the following Olympic results: ladies 1994 / 1998 / 2002 (and in 10 years' time, 2014), men's 1988 / 1992 / 1994 / 2010, pairs 1994 and 2002, ice dance 1994.

Your YouTube subscriptions include at least three dedicated to only figure skating competition and exhibition clips.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another "list" article from Buzzfeed to garner hits and cash in on the pre-Sochi hype. Note that the date of the article is February 2, 2014, well before Plushy stepped onto the ice for the men's portion of the team event.

They would have done better to ask us commentators on GS for signs of how we are obsessed. TontoK had it right. (Linda or Annett?)

I will give them props for that Lego pairs JPG, though. (Also a nice tie-in since the Lego Movie also opened the week the article was published.)

Buzzfeed and Dunkin Donuts lucked out that the ISU (if not others) only yesterday posted the old link to its Facebook page.
So Buzzfeed is getting a new wave of hits at this late date.
I am not usually one to bash the ISU right and left, but seems naive of them to give such promotion for free to a list written for commercial purposes and probably not by true aficionados of the sport.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Buzzfeed and Dunkin Donuts lucked out that the ISU (if not others) only yesterday posted the old link to its Facebook page.
So Buzzfeed is getting a new wave of hits at this late date.
I am not usually one to bash the ISU right and left, but seems naive of them to give such promotion for free to a list that I doubt was written by true aficionados of the sport.

Seems that the ISU needs to spend a bit more time working the social media angle? Didn't realize it got re-posted just yesterday!