13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I would also add:

You watched all of "Tessa & Scott" or "Ice Diaries" and care about what happens to those people long after.

You attend your local symphony's performances based on whether the music was used in a memorable free skate.

You dismiss bad fashion on gossip websites by saying "that's so figure skater!" in design, and can match the bad outfit to a costume.

You still think the best piece of gossip in sports in the last twenty years (besides Nancy vs. Tonya) was the Maia/Sasha/Pasha love triangle that ended with Maia bashing Pasha's head against the bar at, of all places, Spago.

You still debate the following Olympic results: ladies 1994 / 1998 / 2002 (and in 10 years' time, 2014), men's 1988 / 1992 / 1994 / 2010, pairs 1994 and 2002, ice dance 1994.

Your YouTube subscriptions include at least three dedicated to only figure skating competition and exhibition clips.
3.5/6 for me...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Better indicators:

You still debate the outcome of the Ladies Olympic event... from 1980.

You can name all the Soviet/Russian Olympic Champions, as well as the Americans and Canadians, from all skating events, off the top of your head.

Although a piece of skating music may seem original, you recall that a junior used it 20 years ago.

You're very excited when skaters from countries like Brazil qualify for the Olympics.

You have actually kept up with the goings-on of Charlie White's and Jason Brown's hair.

You care about Meryl and Maks.

8/13 on the other test and 2/6 on this one: NOT EVERYONE IS INTO THE MERYL AND MAKS THING, GUYS. Quit it already.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think being registered on a FS forum is already an indication of obsession. :laugh:

:hb:

Not just registration -- gotta factor in the number of posts! And/or number of posts re: one specific skater or topic....

Edit to add more lunatic ideas:
1. Fashion subcategory: you can name at least 10 FS fashion faux pas off the top of your head. (What the heck is the plural of "faux pas?")

2. You stayed up all night watching FS Olys and/or Worlds competition on a feed from wherever (Russia/Eurosport/IceNetwork etc) b/c there wasn't enough coverage in the US. Re: Worlds, I plead guilty.

3. You're a non-skater but still try to understand IJS docs re: COP.

Actually, IMO the Olympic result debate thing by itself constitutes FS obsession but maybe I'm just not hard-core enough. :biggrin:

Thanks to CezarMart for starting this thread and to everyone for the additions to the "tests!" :clap: It's been an exceptionally crummy day on Planet Corporate and FS obsession is eee-zack-ly what I needed.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
Other indicators:

You check in with figure skating boards daily, sometimes even two or three times a day.

You have past performances bookmarked on your favorites list.

You give up a week's pay to attend nationals.

You've got Michelle Kwan memorabilia that dates back to the early 90's.

You have a world's program from 1987 (Cincinnati)

You watch skating videos nightly.

I consider myself to be addicted and so does my hubby.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
8/13 on the other test and 2/6 on this one: NOT EVERYONE IS INTO THE MERYL AND MAKS THING, GUYS. Quit it already.

Sorry, Karne. Didn't mean to touch a nerve.

I actually meant my contribution as a takeoff on Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be a Redneck if..." jokes.

As in "You Might Be Obsessed with Figure Skating if..."

Of course, Jeff Foxworthy probably doesn't translate well to a global forum.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Another "list" article from Buzzfeed to garner hits and cash in on the pre-Sochi hype. Note that the date of the article is February 2, 2014, well before Plushy stepped onto the ice for the men's portion of the team event.

They would have done better to ask us commentators on GS for signs of how we are obsessed. TontoK had it right. (Linda or Annett?)

I will give them props for that Lego pairs JPG, though. (Also a nice tie-in since the Lego Movie also opened the week the article was published.)

Definitely Linda. :laugh:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I knew I was obsessed when I watched the movie Out of Africa after seeing Savchenko/Szolkowy skate to the soundtrack and liking really liking the music. Also, I have heard the East of Eden music so often that I feel like actually watching the movie -- that's on my to do list.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Other indicators:

You check in with figure skating boards daily, sometimes even two or three times a day.

You have past performances bookmarked on your favorites list.

You give up a week's pay to attend nationals.

You've got Michelle Kwan memorabilia that dates back to the early 90's.

You have a world's program from 1987 (Cincinnati)

You watch skating videos nightly.

I consider myself to be addicted and so does my hubby.

:agree:

You buy CDs of movie soundtracks that you've enjoyed in figure skating even if you haven't seen or had no intention of seeing.

You play games in the car when a song comes on the radio, and your passenger (if he/she is a fs fan) jokingly asks, "Who skates to this?"

When you hear the name "Elvis," your first thought is the skater, not the singer.

When you hear the name "Honda," you think "Takeshi Honda," not the car company.

Your friends call you up on the phone to remind you when fs in on.

Your friends ask you about Olympic contenders every four years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I knew I was obsessed when I watched the movie Out of Africa after seeing Savchenko/Szolkowy skate to the soundtrack and liking really liking the music. Also, I have heard the East of Eden music so often that I feel like actually watching the movie -- that's on my to do list.

I'm not sure if East of Eden is based from John Steinbeck's novel or not. Although I love the dramatic and romantic sweep of the music, it seems an odd emotional fit to the novel.

East of Eden is about a good guy who marries a not-good girl. She cheats with his bad-boy brother on their honeymoon and eventually deserts him.