13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hope that some day you will have an incredible stroke of luck, as I recently did. :yes:
Totally by serendipity, on a random local sidewalk, I found myself a few feet away from one of my favorite skaters. I was aware from his social media that he was in the general region for a couple of SOI and other appearances, but I never would have dreamed that I would have a chance sighting.
He happened to be roaming around by himself on a day off, and he graciously stopped for a not-so-brief one-on-one conversation. A surreal and thoroughly enjoyable encounter for me.

We must know MORE.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True story from my evening commute:

You see the "MK" logo on a Michael Kors bag and think "Huh? Is Michelle starting a fashion line?"

(I've been seeing those bags for years w/ nary a thought of Michelle. Must be the GS influence... :slink:)

:biggrin:

Yes, golden, please share more about your encounter with the SOI cast member!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's another sign:

When you rip apart a carefully put-together schedule for your Friday night because you heard that your favourite ice dancers are going to be performing in town.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's another sign:

When you rip apart a carefully put-together schedule for your Friday night because you heard that your favourite ice dancers are going to be performing in town.

Well, dinner and a movie is one thing. The real question is: did that schedule include expensive, hard-to-get non-refundable concert or theater tickets? :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, dinner and a movie is one thing. The real question is: did that schedule include expensive, hard-to-get non-refundable concert or theater tickets? :laugh:

Not expensive, but non-refundable football tickets. Fortunately I think I can make it to both. The schedule has been recompiled but I might miss kickoff.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Here's another sign:

Or more crucial if it also was a date with a person you have been secretaly in love with for a long time.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Or more crucial if it also was a date with a person you have been secretaly in love with for a long time.

Well the obvious answer to that is, Bring them--and convert them! If they are unwilling to be converted, dump them. Trust me, it's more merciful--to both of you!
:)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Well the obvious answer to that is, Bring them--and convert them! If they are unwilling to be converted, dump them. Trust me, it's more merciful--to both of you!
:)

Or you could expose them to it, and if he or she still doesn't get weirded out by your obsession, then you'll know that your date is a keeper. ;)
And if you need a night to yourself, send your date out while you watch GP on a wonky live stream and say "leave me alone! It's my thing!" :p

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Aha...that definitely ups the ante, doesn't it? In that case, might be inclined to skip the ice dance -- which means I'm probably not as obsessed as I thought! :biggrin:

nguyhm

On the Ice
When you hear a piece of music, instead of naming the artist who sings/plays it you name the skater(s) who makes that music memorable. I used to subscribe to skating magazines - Blades on Ice and International Figure Skating - before the information became abundant on the internet. Can that be considered "addicted".

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Absolutely! Re: identifying the music through the skater who made it so memorable, I do it all the time (and I suspect a lot of us do)! :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When you bond with your grandson via knowing the music from Assassin's Creed is by Woodkid, (but you know that because Papadakis & Cizeron skated to it).

Esopian

Final Flight
Only about 5/13 for me, surpringly. I love to watch figure skating, but don't know too many details about technical and scoring.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Talk today of "Russia vs. South Korea" at the world cup.
Of course I immediately thought "are Adelina and Yuna having a re-match?!?!"
Imagine my disappointment.
Pout, ugly-cry, whine.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Pout, ugly-cry, whine.

They're going to mud-wrestle for a chocolate version of the OGM. Runner-up gets a chocolate melted watch.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
How about these:

*You refer to skaters by first name or last name only (it was rather annoying during Sochi to go back to saying (with non-hardcare fans) "the skater from Canada" or "the Japanese guy" when I'd gotten so used to referring to them as "Patrick" and "Yuzuru" here; just one example of many)

*You know what most of the abbreviations for ice dance/pairs teams are (D&W or D/W or Marlie, V&M or V/M or Voir, etc)

*You don't mind reading protocols after competitions and have figured out what everything means and now use that shorthand for jumps when posting on GS

*You know various other skating acronyms (for competitions, scoring, etc)

*You wonder, "What is Skater X up to now" and go to GS to find out, because you care deeply about what certain skaters have been up to since they retired

*You are wondering in June what Skaters X, Y, and Z will skate to next season and what their new programs will be like

*You read/watch every interview you can with your favorite skaters

*You rewatch old skating programs on YouTube or VHS tapes (yes, I still have a large skating collection of VHS tapes that I recorded from TV)

*You are a member of GS in the first place (as many others have mentioned)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
You're doing a crossword puzzle. One of the clues is "Barack's opponent in 2012."

Correct answer has 4 letters. Via the other clues, you've already got the last 3, which are "ITT."

And...your first thought is: "How can Katarina run for president in the US?"

Happened to me this morning, no kidding! (Finally came to my senses & figured out that the answer was "MITT.")

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Pout, ugly-cry, whine.

Haven't been paying attention to the World Cup at all, and (much to my surprise) there has been hardly any talk about it on my news feed Facebook. But if I had heard this, I would probably have thought the same!

They're going to mud-wrestle for a chocolate version of the OGM. Runner-up gets a chocolate melted watch.

Now that would be something to see...

*You refer to skaters by first name or last name only (it was rather annoying during Sochi to go back to saying (with non-handcare fans) "the skater from Canada" or "the Japanese guy" when I'd gotten so used to referring to them as "Patrick" and "Yuzuru" here; just one example of many)

Totally guilty.

*You know what most of the abbreviations for ice dance/pairs teams are (D&W or D/W or Marlie, V&M or V/M or Voir, etc)

Marlie???!!! Eugh!!!! I hate running names into each other! I still insist on calling Jedward by their original stage name of "John and Edward".

As for the abbreviations, I prefer it when they are not used. I know it's handier for the person typing the comment, but it can sometimes take a long time for the reader (i.e. me!) to work out who you are talking about.

And it is going to be especially hard now, after there has been so much chopping and changing of partners...

*You don't mind reading protocols after competitions and have figured out what everything means and now use that shorthand for jumps when posting on GS

*You know various other skating acronyms (for competitions, scoring, etc)

Sorry. No matter how hard I've tried, I haven't succeeded at those yet.

*You wonder, "What is Skater X up to now" and go to GS to find out, because you care deeply about what certain skaters have been up to since they retired

All the time! Totally guilty.

*You are wondering in June what Skaters X, Y, and Z will skate to next season and what their new programs will be like

June?! I was wondering in April!!! :laugh:

*You read/watch every interview you can with your favorite skaters

Not guilty. Can't be bothered having Google translate them badly from Russian into English...

*You rewatch old skating programs on YouTube or VHS tapes (yes, I still have a large skating collection of VHS tapes that I recorded from TV)

I would love to do this, but I have too many other things to catch up on.

*You are a member of GS in the first place (as many others have mentioned)

Guilty. Although, I'm starting to wonder why since most of my comments recently have been totally ignored...

(And it really hurts, especially when I had put so much thought and consideration into some in particular).

CaroLiza_fan