Skaters and Their Signature Moves, Elements & Programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Their Signature Moves, Elements & Programs

yyyskate

Record Breaker

Farris is going to debut a spread eagle + 3A, next season ,has anybody ever done that before?

As for skater's signature moves:
Yuna: Yuna spin, 3lz+3T
Adam: rippon lutz,
Caroline: pearl spin
Shizuka: donut spin
Mao: 3A
Yuzuru: 3A+3T, 3A+3A+3A.. seq
Patrick: sweeping transitions
Akiko: flying step sequence
Kostner: effortless speed, back spiral
V/M: goose lift
elena: swan lift or snake lift
Ashley: swan arms spiral
Farris: skid while skating (spiral position)
Jason: dance
So Youn: ballet arms
Zijun: pink
Radionova: RG style costume
Daisuke: lay-back spin

Farris is going to debut a spread eagle + 3A, next season ,has anybody ever done that before?

Matt Savoie, Ilia Kulik, Takeshi Honda. (Honda's jump layout in the SP in 2001-02 was 4T+3T. 3A out of spread eagle, and 3Lz out of steps. :) )

Last edited:

makaihime

Final Flight

Hanyu. He's also done a spread eagle into a one footed back counter entry to a 3A+2T hands over head (into the second half of the program)

I'd say Hanyu's signature moves are his 3A's in general. Difficult entries, insane combos, and its all into the second half of his programs. Plus his 4T+3A+3A+3A :laugh: If Zayak rule wasn't in affect, he'd probably 4T-3A his way through his entire program even with the sequence deductions. :rolleye:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
For another male skater who does great a Ina Bauer, let's not forget Paul Wylie! While he obviously doesn't have Yuzu's flexibility, his lines and extension are breathtaking. (Contemplating making a "male skaters who did non-traditional moves" thread...)

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic, but could someone link me to what is considered Kurt's best performance of Casablanca? I've only seen the Olympics version (I know, shame on me), and while I named it as his iconic program, it had enough technical flaws that I didn't fall in love with it.

Below is a link for the best "Casablanca" I could find w/o too much digging. It's the 1993 Worlds; maybe by this time you've found it, too. Although it's way better than the Olys, it still isn't perfect (no falls, though :yay:). He 2-foots a 3Lutz but his big beautiful opening 3A makes up for it. For me, the best part starts around 4:30 w/ "As Time Goes By." And that white dinner jacket...be still, my girlish heart! :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYI8l8Fgk8

I'm not a fan of guys doing Ina Bauers (yeah, yeah, call me sexist) but absolutely agree that Paul Wylie did some great ones!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It's still one of my favourite Ilia Kulik moves. And Josh's beautiful spreadeagle and his beautiful 3A will go so well together!

TMC

Record Breaker
Am I really the first to mention Jason's Riverdance? I know it was only last season, but that program and especially that Nationals performance will not be forgotten I'm sure.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Some signature programs:
Michelle Kwan: Rachmaninoff SP
carolina Kostner: Bolero? (and, as her signature move, the 3F+3T+2Lo at the beginning of her FS, even if she didn't land it clean a lot of times!)
Jason Brown: as TMC said, Riverdance!
Jeremy Abbott: Muse FS
Savchenko/Szolkowy: Pink Panther FS (and then SP :biggrin: )
Yu-Na Kim: Gershwin FS
Virtue/Moir: Mahler FD (the one they'll be remembered for)
Patrick Chan: maybe Rachmaninoff SP? Or POTO?
Daisuke Takahashu: probably Blues for Klook

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Shawn Swayer uses his flexibility to perform the most spectacular Y and I spins, as well as spirals and Cantilever.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Am I really the first to mention Jason's Riverdance? I know it was only last season, but that program and especially that Nationals performance will not be forgotten I'm sure.

I agree that it will be what most people remember right now (until Rohene's next masterpiece anyway!) but it's actually not my favourite long program of his. Liebestraume tops my list, followed by Nessun Dorma, then Riverdance. But I guess that's just because I'm a fan.

I think Jason's Russian split is definitely his signature move, and the Y-spiral into the 3Lz (he actually did an I-spiral into the 3Lz in Liebestraume for a while). Also I love that dislocating hip spiral at the start of Riverdance.

If we're talking signature programs, Max hasn't yet outdone Tron.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That's actually a 3-turn into a rocker and then change of edge, which is still quite difficult.

Javier Fernandez does a rocker entry into his 3A, with a choctaw and waltz jump to spread eagle prior to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9zFHe8U1o

Kovtun also does a counter entry leading up to his 3A. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIwK1zrJYEI

Of course, none of these are as difficult as Hanyu's counter obviously, since he goes directly off the turn up into the axel with no change of edge or stepping from his right foot to his left foot.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Below is a link for the best "Casablanca" I could find w/o too much digging. It's the 1993 Worlds; maybe by this time you've found it, too. Although it's way better than the Olys, it still isn't perfect (no falls, though :yay:). He 2-foots a 3Lutz but his big beautiful opening 3A makes up for it. For me, the best part starts around 4:30 w/ "As Time Goes By." And that white dinner jacket...be still, my girlish heart! :love:

Thank you! Two-footed 3Lz doesn't affect the program at all. It's always been a problem jump for him, but his other jumps make up for it. The opening 3A was a beauty--big, and still very controlled on the landing.

While certain aspects of the program may look dated, it still makes me lament that we'll rarely see something like this again, and even less likely to see it rewarded. He'll probably be dinged for "stopping and posing" in the middle section. But that was the most memorable part of the program, what makes it unique. I remembered that section from the Lillehammer skate as well, even though it wasn't as magical there with the mistakes.

Poor Kurt... :cry: It's not even that he didn't get Olympic gold... he never got any medals there at all. I wonder how he feels when doing Olympic commentary nowadays.

76olympics

On the Ice
John Misha Petkevich is way before my time, but he had a neat tuck axel! Don't see those anymore...

jimeonji

Final Flight

Definitely an amazing program, but I think I will need to rewatch it to really GET it, like I sometimes need to with older (well, and newer) programs. Am I the only one that can't unsee Takahashi's step sequence in La Strada to the same music in the first half? (why is the music the same...?)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
John Misha Petkevich is way before my time, but he had a neat tuck axel! Don't see those anymore...
But not way before my time; thank you for reminding me ( about John Misha, not my age):biggrin:

longtimefan

Spectator
Tai and Randy....gorgeous Ina Bauer and a move that I don't know the name of but each turns the other using both hands/fists. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about here.