Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Skaters and Their Signature Moves, Elements & Programs

Some older ones(!):

Toller Cranston: broken leg sit spin; Russian splits

Kurt Browning: footwork ( Scott Hamilton also)

Dorothy Hamill: Hamill camel

Brian Orser- triple axel

Jozef Sabovcik: BIG single axel

Paul Wylie: Ina Bauer; Spread Eagle; scratch spin

Brian Boitano: tano lutz, Spread Eagle, Death drop

Michelle Kwan: the spiral; charlotte

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Brian Boitano -- in addition to the 'Tano Lutz, the spread eagle. Lots of skaters do them, but has anyone else ever held one for a full circle the way he did in his Napoleon LP? That has to be one of my favorite FS moments ever.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Brian Boitano -- in addition to the 'Tano Lutz, the spread eagle. Lots of skaters do them, but has anyone else ever held one for a full circle the way he did in his Napoleon LP? That has to be one of my favorite FS moments ever.
    I totally agree. The image is so fresh. The arms were at his side as he completed the circle. Truly unique and unusual.

Michelle brought back the Charlotte, and her inside/outside edge spiral was always to die for. I love her falling leaf and agree with
    Dick Button, who called it the best in the business.

ANother thing about Michelle. She was able to portray passion and personal involvement with the music like none other. She always seemed as one with the music. The presentation was sincere and honest, in my opinion. There was no acting. There is none other who comes across with such sincerity. Yes, there are skaters who can do more difficult technical content, but no one can match her artistry. That is trademark (and I've watched skating since 1962). She is simply "THE BEST." These are things that make her a legend.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edenlover View Post
    I totally agree. The image is so fresh. The arms were at his side as he completed the circle. Truly unique and unusual. Michelle brought back the Charlotte, and her inside/outside edge spiral was always to die for. I love her falling leaf and agree with Dick Button, who called it the best in the business. ANother thing about Michelle. She was able to portray passion and personal involvement with the music like none other. She always seemed as one with the music. The presentation was sincere and honest, in my opinion. There was no acting. There is none other who comes across with such sincerity. Yes, there are skaters who can do more difficult technical content, but no one can match her artistry. That is trademark (and I've watched skating since 1962). She is simply "THE BEST." These are things that make her a legend.
    I agree with everything!

Michelle's falling leaf was simply beautiful. Love her change of edge spiral, my heart lived for it!

I also have to say Lu Chen's jumps. I can't explain it but I loved the delay (I guess you can call it that) before she would rotate, very stunning in her Worlds Rach performance.

G and G: they have the best skating skills. I saw them live at Champions on Ice and the quietness of their blades was amazing.

Custom Title
    Yuna Kim also has her (layback) Ina Bauer or spread eagle entry into a 2A

Medalist
    Denise Biellmann for the spin that is named for her. She may not have invented it, and lots of people do it, but I think it is Denise's signature move.

Daisuke: Cyber Swan, Blues for Klook
    Michelle (hard to choose): Spirals; Rachmaninoff, Lyra Angelica, Tosca (at U.S. Nationals), Fields of Gold, gorgeous dresses
    Sasha: beautiful positions; Dark Eyes SP, Romeo and Juliet LP
    Yagudin: footwork; Winter SP, Man in the Iron Mask LP
    Lambiel: Fleur Lambiel spin, headless spin, and spins, in general; Four Seasons (program and costume ), William Tell, Poeta
    Arakawa: flexibility, Ina Bauer
    Yulia: outstanding spins and flexibility; Schindler's List LP; angelic face (since we're including physical attributes, apparently)
    Yuzuru: Ina Bauer, incredible jumps when he's on; Parisian Walkways and Romeo and Juliet (the first version); angelic face that would be a perfect match for Yulia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    based on your definition of true signature if that's what you call it
    none of this would qualify

How so? I said it's not based on quality so much as if they're one of the only few doing it. Based on a definition of "signature", Gold doesn't have any signature moves since there are tons of skaters who have strong jumps, tons who can do 3-3, and several who have a Hollywood look -- and many of these skaters have won competitions no less. I guess you could say she's got a signature "lip" since most skaters with edge problems "flutz".

I mean, you're saying Kostner's signature move is "speed". That could be what she's known for, but she's not the first fast skater to ever exist.

MT/M's lunge, reverse directions lift is one of the hardest and most breathtaking lifts in the world. Osmond's little Biellmann move is just a split-second move, but she puts it in her programs and I associate it with her. And the two Chinese pairs are the only ones doing the quad twist now, and they perform it more often than G/G (although I also associate it with them).

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Boitano's spread eagles, especially the long back edged one. Bodyline straight as an arrow with lots of lean. It is a feature in nearly all of his long and show programs.

Lucida Ruh's layback spin combination. Unmatched.

Edit to add: The Protopopov's pair spiral. Breathtaking. And, I guess, death spiral, which I think they invented.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Victoria and Nikita: Blonde and beautiful.

Custom Title
    Yuzuru along with Javier are one of the only few current elites to execute clean 4S
    Um, Hanyu did it exactly twice last year and fell/popped it every other time. The two times he did it, they were barely eked out, and not a strong clean jump with good flow like Fernandez.

Among the men to cleanly execute 4S - and some of these have done 4S way more times than Hanyu ever has - Fernandez, Reynolds, Kovtun, Brezina, Amodio, Aaron, Miner, Joubert, Honda, Zhang, Klimkin, Goebel.

Kovtun landed more than twice as many clean 4S in competition this season (7 clean ones) than Hanyu has ever (3 clean ones), and Kovtun only started competing the 4S this year.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post

Michelle's falling leaf was simply beautiful. Love her change of edge spiral, my heart lived for it!
    I used to wait for those spirals in all of her programs. And the big smile that went with them -- icing on the cake!

Custom Title
    Scott Hamilton: the back flip
    Alexei Yagudin: step sequence
    Yulia Lipnitskaia: spins - regardless of her artistic or jumping ability, as long as she keeps that flexibility I think she'll be known for her spins
    Mao Asada: 3A

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Yuzuru along with Javier are one of the only few current elites to execute clean 4S
    Mmm Yuzuru is still not there, he may do it clean in practices but not in competitions

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    I used to wait for those spirals in all of her programs. And the big smile that went with them -- icing on the cake!
    Me too.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    Anissina/Piezerat's reverse lift is definitely their defining move
    Yup! In terms of signature moves, I think theirs is really one of a kind as well as their innovative lifts.

For the current skaters, I think I've never seen anyone do a one-foot entry to a double axel much less a triple axel so I can say that Hanyu really owned that move. I can't really associate Hanyu with the 4S. Instead, I'll say that Javier has the best effortless 4S that I have ever seen. Yuna's would be her 3z-3t cause no one does it better than her.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast