Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Skaters and Their Signature Moves, Elements & Programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Below is a link for the best "Casablanca" I could find w/o too much digging. It's the 1993 Worlds; maybe by this time you've found it, too. Although it's way better than the Olys, it still isn't perfect (no falls, though ). He 2-foots a 3Lutz but his big beautiful opening 3A makes up for it. For me, the best part starts around 4:30 w/ "As Time Goes By." And that white dinner jacket...be still, my girlish heart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYI8l8Fgk8
    Thank you! Two-footed 3Lz doesn't affect the program at all. It's always been a problem jump for him, but his other jumps make up for it. The opening 3A was a beauty--big, and still very controlled on the landing.

While certain aspects of the program may look dated, it still makes me lament that we'll rarely see something like this again, and even less likely to see it rewarded. He'll probably be dinged for "stopping and posing" in the middle section. But that was the most memorable part of the program, what makes it unique. I remembered that section from the Lillehammer skate as well, even though it wasn't as magical there with the mistakes.

Poor Kurt... It's not even that he didn't get Olympic gold... he never got any medals there at all. I wonder how he feels when doing Olympic commentary nowadays.

John Misha Petkevich is way before my time, but he had a neat tuck axel! Don't see those anymore...

Custom Title
    Below is a link for the best "Casablanca" I could find w/o too much digging. It's the 1993 Worlds; maybe by this time you've found it, too. Although it's way better than the Olys, it still isn't perfect (no falls, though ). He 2-foots a 3Lutz but his big beautiful opening 3A makes up for it. For me, the best part starts around 4:30 w/ "As Time Goes By." And that white dinner jacket...be still, my girlish heart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYI8l8Fgk8
    Definitely an amazing program, but I think I will need to rewatch it to really GET it, like I sometimes need to with older (well, and newer) programs. Am I the only one that can't unsee Takahashi's step sequence in La Strada to the same music in the first half? (why is the music the same...?)

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics View Post
    John Misha Petkevich is way before my time, but he had a neat tuck axel! Don't see those anymore...
    But not way before my time; thank you for reminding me ( about John Misha, not my age)

Rinkside
    Tai and Randy....gorgeous Ina Bauer and a move that I don't know the name of but each turns the other using both hands/fists. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics View Post
    Jozef Sabovcik did the tuck axel in exhibition skates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKH6IxuZ3sk

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I agree that it will be what most people remember right now (until Rohene's next masterpiece anyway!) but it's actually not my favourite long program of his. Liebestraume tops my list, followed by Nessun Dorma, then Riverdance. But I guess that's just because I'm a fan.

If we're talking signature programs, Max hasn't yet outdone Tron.
    I know what you mean - as a fan, my favourite short of Jason's is Grand Guignol and my favourite long is a tie between Turandot & Riverdance. But I think that in the general consciousness of skating fans and the casual watcher, Riverdance will be what people first think when they think of Jason. Even people who never watch skating saw that Youtube video and know him as "that Irish jig skater guy". 4+ million views! Of course we don't know what fantastic tricks Rohene has planned for the coming seasons, but I will be (happily) surprised if they can create something even more iconic!

As for Max, I agree that Tron is his signature program. Perhaps partly because that program also interested a lot of non-skating fans.

On the Ice
    I used to wait for those spirals in all of her programs. And the big smile that went with them -- icing on the cake!
    And her smile showed her joy while she skated. Gosh I miss seeing her compete and can't believe it's been since Worlds 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    But not way before my time; thank you for reminding me ( about John Misha, not my age)

Don't worry, el henry. I was definitely alive (LOL!) during his era. I just wasn't watching skating yet! I became a fan during the 1976 Olympics when I was 12 ( hence my user name).

Custom Title
    Has anyone mentioned Jonathan Cassar's spread eagles? Love love them....

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinnerA View Post
    And her smile showed her joy while she skated. Gosh I miss seeing her compete and can't believe it's been since Worlds 2005!
    That seems like yesterday. Twinner, were you on MKF? I think we spend so much time rewatching her skates on you tube or our tapes that she's still part of our lives. Yep, THE LEGEND.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Tai and Randy....gorgeous Ina Bauer and a move that I don't know the name of but each turns the other using both hands/fists. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about here.
    Are you talking about the Pull Arabians? I believe it was an original move for them.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Programs--
    gold medal: Michelle Lyra Angelica
    silver medal: Michelle Salome
    bronze medal: Yulia Shindler's list

Signature style
    gold: Yuna for security and elegance
    silver: Michelle the same
    bronze: Ashley for "almost girl" (which is unfortunate because I'm a fan)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by edenlover View Post
    Are you talking about the Pull Arabians? I believe it was an original move for them.
    I think so! I googled it....thank you for your help.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I think so! I googled it....thank you for your help.
    You are welcome. If you watch the Worlds 79 performance on you tube, I think you'll see it there. I will try to find the link.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...F9C48973C01F02

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast