Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

Custom Title

Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

(6/6/14) - Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White announced today they will not compete in the 2014-15 figure skating season.

"We're so grateful for the support we've received through this truly amazing year in our lives," Davis and White said. "Trying to stay in the present, we've decided not to look too far ahead regarding our competitive careers. We'll be taking the 2014-15 season away from competition. We will not make any further decisions until a later date."

Michigan natives Davis and White began their partnership 17 years ago and are the most-decorated ice dance team in American history. Together they have won the last six U.S. titles, two World Championships (2011, '13), five consecutive Grand Prix Final gold medals and the 2010 Olympic silver medal. Undefeated the past two seasons, Davis and White capped the 2013-14 campaign by becoming the first American ice dancers to win an Olympic gold medal at the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia. They also won a bronze medal in the first Olympic Team Event alongside six of their teammates.

http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp...235&type=media

Custom Title
    I´m sad :(

can't say I'm shocked about this. What a year they've had -- they're probably too exhausted to think about topping it!

Custom Title
    I'm not surprised at all. I'd honestly be pretty surprised if they DID compete again. There's nothing left for them to win!

Absolutely predictable! I think it is just a confirmation of what we all already expected...

Medalist
    What's the point of winning if you don't take some time to appreciate that victory?

I'm hoping that they'll do what Yuna did--take some time off, and then come back for the Olympics in 2018.

(In the meantime, they can have some fun with Belbin and Chmerkovskiy. )

go figure
    I expected to hear this, but still hope they make a comeback, no matter how brief, the next season. They're just too amazing to leave yet. :3

Custom Title
    I'm not surprised. Maybe a little that they just didn't out and out retire.

They need the time for Charles to grow his locks back

Honestly, I am only surprised they took so long to announce this. The writing has been on the wall, especially with Meryl making statements that they had planned for some time to spend n ext fall on campus full time (though that plan has now changed).

I wish them well. I am kind of saddened, as I do think this is it for them competitively, but that is how it goes.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Honestly, I am only surprised they took so long to announce this. The writing has been on the wall, especially with Meryl making statements that they had planned for some time to spend n ext fall on campus full time (though that plan has now changed).

I wish them well. I am kind of saddened, as I do think this is it for them competitively, but that is how it goes.
    I agree.... *long sigh* ....I totally expected it, but it doesn't make it any less sad. I hope they'll come back for at least 2016 worlds, but my hopes aren't too high. They seem ready to have a more normal life. Ice dance won't be the same without them, but I do wish them all of the best!

Tripping on the Podium
    They've earned a break from competition. They may come back even better than before. I want a Davis and White/Virtue Moir showdown in 2018.

Custom Title
    Given they've been competing non-stop since the last quad, I'm not surprised at this.

I hope they enjoy their year off! Even if they don't come back, they'll have left us with tons of great skates and memories. Thanks Meryl, thanks Charlie!

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    They just posted an official announcement to both their instagrams
    http://instagram.com/p/o66VH0sT3-/

Official announcement is out- we're taking the next season off to do our thing! Good news though- we shall continue to exist and will be around!
    Oh, Charlie.

Custom Title
    Perfect! Really I love them but this is the right thing. Enjoy your success, explore other options, breathe...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast