Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraAngelica View Post
    They've earned a break from competition. They may come back even better than before. I want a Davis and White/Virtue Moir showdown in 2018.
    Like a surprise out of the blue "they'reeeeee baaaaack" showdown would be so awesome!

  2. #17
    Medalist Coltrocks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Leander, TX
    Posts
    94

    Meryl and Charlie officially taking 2014-15 season off (Link Inside)

    They are waiting to make decision beyond next season.

    http://www.freep.com/article/2014060...-charlie-white

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    110
    I feel like they should have thought this through and and a decision before Sochi and announced it. I feel like athletes who announce their retirement kinda falls into a limbo state and ends up not getting the respect and attention they deserve when they actually retire. Yuna Kim also was dragging after winning OGM and constantly mentioned how she suffered from lack of motivation, and that she only decided to go to Sochi to not only give her coaches and her fellow Korean skaters Olympic experience but to put a nice end to her career, thus gold was not necessarily important but participation itself mattered. I was surprised and awed that Yuna actually held up against competition. I hope the two ice dance couples and Mao and other skaters can be able to do the same so that we fans can send the off properly.

  4. #19
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    I wonder if Tessa and Scott will skate next season, maybe for a shot at one last world title? Have they announced their plans yet?

  5. #20
    Medalist Coltrocks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Leander, TX
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    I wonder if Tessa and Scott will skate next season, maybe for a shot at one last world title? Have they announced their plans yet?
    A second article that I read about Meryl/Charlie says that Tessa/Scott have yet to decide/announce on 2014-15 yet. I kinda hope they skate so that they can win the GPF since that is the one thing missing on their resume.

  6. #21
    Ice is slippery.
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by VirMo View Post
    I feel like they should have thought this through and and a decision before Sochi and announced it. I feel like athletes who announce their retirement kinda falls into a limbo state and ends up not getting the respect and attention they deserve when they actually retire. Yuna Kim also was dragging after winning OGM and constantly mentioned how she suffered from lack of motivation, and that she only decided to go to Sochi to not only give her coaches and her fellow Korean skaters Olympic experience but to put a nice end to her career, thus gold was not necessarily important but participation itself mattered. I was surprised and awed that Yuna actually held up against competition. I hope the two ice dance couples and Mao and other skaters can be able to do the same so that we fans can send the off properly.
    Most athletes make the decision based on their last performance and how they feel afterwards. Attention and respect? D/W are the OGM and 3 time Olympic medalists, they already have all the respect in the world. And lets face it, Yuna most likely had outside influences besides her own feelings when she decided to come back for Sochi.

    As for Mao, if her winning the WC in front of a home crowd of 18,000 people isn't considered a proper send-off, then I don't what is. I'm sure many of her fans knew that this could very well be her last competitive skate and was prepared for it.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltrocks12 View Post
    A second article that I read about Meryl/Charlie says that Tessa/Scott have yet to decide/announce on 2014-15 yet. I kinda hope they skate so that they can win the GPF since that is the one thing missing on their resume.
    I'd love to see both of them compete again, but I have zero expectations that they will.

    I do have this wonder though if maybe Tessa and Scott may come back for a season....maybe not 2014/2015, but sometime after that? They seemed so ready to retire going into Sochi, but then post-Sochi I feel like as time goes on they seem less and less sure about that (when they speak in interviews)...

  8. #23
    Tripping on the Podium figureskateobasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    53
    next season will be very different..

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,438
    I'm sad but feel that this is the best choice for Meryl and Charlie. They have worked unceasingly for more than half their lives, and they're not teenagers. It's time for them to experience other things, and also for them to enjoy the fruits of their labors, such as TV appearances and more glamorous events, both skating and non-skating.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    119
    I feel like athletes who announce their retirement kinda falls into a limbo state and ends up not getting the respect and attention they deserve when they actually retire.
    D/W have not technically retired. They still intend to continue skating. In the old days, they would have announced at this point that they are going "pro" there just isn't such a thing as "pro" anymore. These days, skaters spend four years after their Olympic swan song pretending that they might go back to competition at any time so they can continue to get attention and endorsements.

    Like Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek, they'll probably do a whole lot of interviews in 2017 hinting that they are gearing up for the Olympics...It won't happen, but the attention will get them some good Coke, Visa and Ralph Lauren endorsements at the 2018 games.

  11. #26
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Perfect! Really I love them but this is the right thing. Enjoy your success, explore other options, breathe...

  12. #27
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    D/W have not technically retired. They still intend to continue skating. In the old days, they would have announced at this point that they are going "pro" there just isn't such a thing as "pro" anymore. These days, skaters spend four years after their Olympic swan song pretending that they might go back to competition at any time so they can continue to get attention and endorsements.

    Like Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek, they'll probably do a whole lot of interviews in 2017 hinting that they are gearing up for the Olympics...It won't happen, but the attention will get them some good Coke, Visa and Ralph Lauren endorsements at the 2018 games.
    I think you're right. It's too bad that these amazing athletes have to play that game in order to keep their endorsement deals, but it seems like marketers are fickle "what have you done for me lately" types. More power to Meryl and Charlie. I'd buy what they are selling... in fact I'm still hunting down the PUFFs Softpacks but have yet to find them.

  13. #28
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    I'm curious, is the amount of funding a skater/pair team/dance team receives from a sponser ever made public? I suspect they do quite well, not to say that it isn't well deserved considering all the money, time and effort put in throughout a skating career in order to get to the top.

  14. #29
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,119
    I am very interested to find out what projects they plan for the fall season. The Disson shows were already planned before Sochi. During Sochi interviews, they were talking about taking a full course load in the fall; so I am hoping we'll see some unexpected programs.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    139
    They completely deserve their break. I wasn't expecting them to return anyway, but it would be awesome if they did. I don't think I'm quite ready to let them go. But I'm that way with a lot of skaters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •