Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    ... These days, skaters spend four years after their Olympic swan song pretending that they might go back to competition at any time so they can continue to get attention and endorsements.

Like Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek, they'll probably do a whole lot of interviews in 2017 hinting that they are gearing up for the Olympics...It won't happen, but the attention will get them some good Coke, Visa and Ralph Lauren endorsements at the 2018 games.
    I do not think that Weir and Lysacek were pretending. Each of them was very emotional -- to the point of barely being able to speak -- when making the final announcement that his pursuit of Sochi had ended.

Quote Originally Posted by MarySNJ View Post
    ... It's too bad that these amazing athletes have to play that game in order to keep their endorsement deals, but it seems like marketers are fickle "what have you done for me lately" types. ...
    Not always true, based on Sochi 2014 marketing campaigns of certain brands -- which featured past Olympians such as Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Picabo Street (to name just a few examples off the top of my head).

In fact, I remember a number of pre-Sochi complaints on GS that the corporate $$ would have been better spent on sponsoring 2014 hopefuls -- the reasoning being that Olympic stars of the past don't need the funding (plus "the rich get richer" argument).

I give Davis/White the benefit of the doubt that they just do not want to make a premature decision and that they really have not ruled out the possibility of competing again down the road. I do not think that they are pretending either.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I am very interested to find out what projects they plan for the fall season. The Disson shows were already planned before Sochi. During Sochi interviews, they were talking about taking a full course load in the fall; so I am hoping we'll see some unexpected programs.
    Davis recently tweeted that D/W look forward to mentoring more kids via Classroom Champs. Like the Disson shows, obviously not a full-time endeavor. But admirable that they will continue giving back.

Medalist
    To be henost, I always prefered V/M to D/W tgh, They deserved it, One of the great.

Custom Title
    I think Davis and White have so many other options to explore - their sponsorships and all the entrepreneurial avenues they could take them, the ice shows and other sanctioned events, their charitable endeavors, and a big one for them - finishing college. I think Stars on Ice must be delighted with D/W and hope they choose to return next year. I don't think SOI saw the kind of interest they realized this year for some time. And maybe Meryl will explore "dancing on the floor" with Maks as she clearly showed a great talent and they a great chemistry. D/W are the most multi-dimensional skaters since Michelle Kwan. The nice thing is that they can explore all they want for a year or two and then decide if there's still a place for them in competitive ice dancing. As they push towards 30 I would doubt this will happen but you never know. I'm not seeing any couple who has a firm hold on the next 4 years.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    slider11, I think your "many other options to explore" comment has great validity.

They have set a new standard for US Ice Dance... there's really not much left to prove. I suppose they might consider the lure of history, a run at a second OGM.

But, considering the new things they can pursue and achieve off the ice, would they really want to return to the daily grind, month upon month, year upon year, that is required to reach the highest levels of the sport and stand atop the podium?

I just don't see them doing that. Of course, they've been training mates with Scott/Tessa, who DID go for the second gold. So, they've got some idea of the tradeoffs that were made. They'll at least make the decision with eyes wide open.

Custom Title
    While their decision does not surprise me, I must say that I will miss the anticipation of the their new programs & music choices, etc...
    Meryl and Charlie have filled a void for me that has been missing without the presence of a US lady star or man for that matter over the last several years.
    They certainly showed up to every competition extremely well trained and totally prepared.
    Their Olympic Gold Medal was well deserved, so I guess they also deserve and have earned a break.
    I do hope they return to competition in the future.
    Good job Meryl & Charlie, well done!

Custom Title
    From what I can remember from various articles, etc. I think Charlie and Meryl are both committed to completing their educations. Obviously they took last year off from college to prepare for the Olympics. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're enrolled in school very soon.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    From what I can remember from various articles, etc. I think Charlie and Meryl are both committed to completing their educations. Obviously they took last year off from college to prepare for the Olympics. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're enrolled in school very soon.
    I believe the initial plan was to enroll in college full time this fall but that plan was modified. It turned out they would be much busier than they anticipated (this came out after they started DWTS and with rising popularity came more opportunities and offers). M&C both confirmed that they would enroll in online courses.

I agree that both of them appear to take their education seriously; it just it may take it longer than they anticipated. In any way, if they could cash in the fruit of their hard labor, more power to them.

BTW, such opportunities appear to involve a possible Meryl and Maks dancing together, again, as per Maks' publicist, Lizzie Grubman: https://twitter.com/LizzieGrubman/st...35284849172480

Regardless of how some people at this board feel about Maks, M&M's dancing was spectacular. I, for one, sure would like to see them dancing together, again.

Custom Title
    This kind of loss of momentum imo most likely means their competitive days are behind them.

Custom Title
    Yeah, I've never expected to see them compete again. I see them moving on with their lives.

And on that note... Charlie proposed to Tanith on their Hawaiian getaway (as many people expected, I think) and she said yes. Here's his instagram post about it: http://instagram.com/p/pE5DBmMT-3/

Congrats to both of them!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post

BTW, such opportunities appear to involve a possible Meryl and Maks dancing together, again, as per Maks' publicist, Lizzie Grubman: https://twitter.com/LizzieGrubman/st...35284849172480
    This lady is a professional publicist? I understand that we live in a shorthand/twitter/text world, but I'd think basic grammar skills would be important in her line of work.

The twitter link you provided looks juvenile and unprofessional. In the highly unlikely event that I need a publicist, I'm not hiring her.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    This lady is a professional publicist? I understand that we live in a shorthand/twitter/text world, but I'd think basic grammar skills would be important in her line of work.

The twitter link you provided looks juvenile and unprofessional. In the highly unlikely event that I need a publicist, I'm not hiring her.
    Honestly, being a publicist is almost all about who you know and what you know (most of which you find out from who you know). Looking good doesn't hurt. Most other skills are not required.

Banned
    I agree with most previous posters that the trend these days is to stay officialy "unretired" for a long time, even though in reality you are already done. I think D&W are definitely done but also dont expect them to announce it for a long time.

Custom Title
    It's a little hard to put into words, but for something like the last 7 or 8 seasons, I have absolutely been glued to summer reports about D/W and V/M new programs; then, the Fall and Grand Prix events and I would be glued to the screen watching their debuts and reading all the reports/analysis/commentary. So, I think what I'm trying to say is although this announcement is no surprise, and although I really look forward to seeing what a lot of the remaining top teams will show us this summer/fall, I do feel D/W's absence already and do already miss the D/W - V/M comparisons/competition. Of course, I wish them the very, very best and some well deserved time off (from competition at least)!

You guys probably know more about this than I do, but I wonder if a temporary announcement of taking the year off, rather than a permanent announcement of retirement is to keep the endorsements that they have with Ralph Loren and Puffs. I know they made a huge splash on DWTS and Meryl probably could get any endorsement she wants right now, but Charlie was eliminated prior to the finale and didn't make as big of a splash not having a showmance to boost the popularity of the pairing. I wish they were staying around one more year so that I can see what Meryl could do on the ice now that she has found her powerhouse sexy persona, but I understand that an Olympic quad is grinding and this team has won gold in each type of event they can win gold in as ice dancers (Olympics, 4CC, Nations, GPF, etc). I do wish V/M would stay for one more try at the GPF even though it would mean rooting for Canada over my US favorites.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Honestly, being a publicist is almost all about who you know and what you know (most of which you find out from who you know). Looking good doesn't hurt. Most other skills are not required.
    Grubman is the lady who drove her SUV into a crowd of people (many think intentionally) out side an Inn a few years ago injuring 16 people. I guess she is still on probation. She faced 8 years in prison and victims brought civil suits against her. . Personally, I wouldn't want her as my PR person with that kind of baggage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast