Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

tulosai

Record Breaker
This lady is a professional publicist? I understand that we live in a shorthand/twitter/text world, but I'd think basic grammar skills would be important in her line of work.

The twitter link you provided looks juvenile and unprofessional. In the highly unlikely event that I need a publicist, I'm not hiring her.

Honestly, being a publicist is almost all about who you know and what you know (most of which you find out from who you know). Looking good doesn't hurt. Most other skills are not required.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree with most previous posters that the trend these days is to stay officialy "unretired" for a long time, even though in reality you are already done. I think D&W are definitely done but also dont expect them to announce it for a long time.

emma

Record Breaker
It's a little hard to put into words, but for something like the last 7 or 8 seasons, I have absolutely been glued to summer reports about D/W and V/M new programs; then, the Fall and Grand Prix events and I would be glued to the screen watching their debuts and reading all the reports/analysis/commentary. So, I think what I'm trying to say is although this announcement is no surprise, and although I really look forward to seeing what a lot of the remaining top teams will show us this summer/fall, I do feel D/W's absence already and do already miss the D/W - V/M comparisons/competition. Of course, I wish them the very, very best and some well deserved time off (from competition at least)!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
You guys probably know more about this than I do, but I wonder if a temporary announcement of taking the year off, rather than a permanent announcement of retirement is to keep the endorsements that they have with Ralph Loren and Puffs. I know they made a huge splash on DWTS and Meryl probably could get any endorsement she wants right now, but Charlie was eliminated prior to the finale and didn't make as big of a splash not having a showmance to boost the popularity of the pairing. I wish they were staying around one more year so that I can see what Meryl could do on the ice now that she has found her powerhouse sexy persona, but I understand that an Olympic quad is grinding and this team has won gold in each type of event they can win gold in as ice dancers (Olympics, 4CC, Nations, GPF, etc). I do wish V/M would stay for one more try at the GPF even though it would mean rooting for Canada over my US favorites.

Icey

Record Breaker
Honestly, being a publicist is almost all about who you know and what you know (most of which you find out from who you know). Looking good doesn't hurt. Most other skills are not required.

Grubman is the lady who drove her SUV into a crowd of people (many think intentionally) out side an Inn a few years ago injuring 16 people. I guess she is still on probation. She faced 8 years in prison and victims brought civil suits against her. . Personally, I wouldn't want her as my PR person with that kind of baggage.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You guys probably know more about this than I do, but I wonder if a temporary announcement of taking the year off, rather than a permanent announcement of retirement is to keep the endorsements that they have with Ralph Loren and Puffs. I know they made a huge splash on DWTS and Meryl probably could get any endorsement she wants right now, but Charlie was eliminated prior to the finale and didn't make as big of a splash not having a showmance to boost the popularity of the pairing. I wish they were staying around one more year so that I can see what Meryl could do on the ice now that she has found her powerhouse sexy persona, but I understand that an Olympic quad is grinding and this team has won gold in each type of event they can win gold in as ice dancers (Olympics, 4CC, Nations, GPF, etc). I do wish V/M would stay for one more try at the GPF even though it would mean rooting for Canada over my US favorites.

I don't think they need to be competing to keep their endorsements. Endorsements are about associating with a strong brand and to Meryl and Charlie's credit they have built a pretty strong brand over the last year. They will be plenty busy with shows and other opportunities, so I'm sure P&G, Ralph Lauren, et al, will get their money's worth.

Honestly Meryl and Charlie have never been a team that obsesses too much about THE FUTURE but rather is very strategic and very much about taking it day by day, year by year. When you think about it, they haven't had much time to really sit down and talk about THE FUTURE given their DWTS stint, various endorsement events and, oh yeah, vacation.

Deciding to take a year off and not making any grand declarations regarding their career is smart. That way, they have a year to decide how to proceed rather than having to decide in a few weeks/months whether they are retiring or whatever.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I don't think they need to be competing to keep their endorsements. Endorsements are about associating with a strong brand and to Meryl and Charlie's credit they have built a pretty strong brand over the last year. They will be plenty busy with shows and other opportunities, so I'm sure P&G, Ralph Lauren, et al, will get their money's worth.

Honestly Meryl and Charlie have never been a team that obsesses too much about THE FUTURE but rather is very strategic and very much about taking it day by day, year by year. When you think about it, they haven't had much time to really sit down and talk about THE FUTURE given their DWTS stint, various endorsement events and, oh yeah, vacation.

Deciding to take a year off and not making any grand declarations regarding their career is smart. That way, they have a year to decide how to proceed rather than having to decide in a few weeks/months whether they are retiring or whatever.

I doubt that Meryl and Charlie are contractually required to be actively competing in order to keep their sponsorship contracts. However, continuing to be "active competitors" keeps the public paying attention to them and keeps their brand value higher.