Biryukova switches to pairs. | Golden Skate

Biryukova switches to pairs.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Mmmm. Didn't see that one coming at all.

Like, this is our reigning Universiade Champion in Ladies Singles skating! Who beat names like Marchei and Glebova. :eek:

But, considering how disappointing Biryukova has been at Russian Nationals in the past 2 or 3 of years:

2010 Juniors: 7th with 149.70 (3rd in SP + 7th in FS)
2010 Seniors: 6th with 154.56 (1st in SP + 7th in FS)
2011 Juniors: 6th with 153.77 (4th in SP + 6th in FS)
2011 Seniors: 6th with 159.14 (4th in SP + 8th in FS)
2012 Seniors: 9th with 156.11 (4th in SP + 14th in FS)
2013 Seniors: 17th with 135.69 (17th in SP + 16th in FS)
2014 Seniors: 12th with 150.15 (15th in SP + 12th in FS)

...and how many brilliant youngsters are coming along the production line, it is probably a good idea. She has no hope of getting selected for the Russian Ladies team with results like these.

Just had a look through old Russian Nationals results, and Stepanov hasn't exactly set the world alight in Men's Singles skating.

2008 Juniors: 12th with 142.88 (13th in SP + 10th in FS)
2010 Juniors: 8th with 169.35 (10th in SP + 7th in FS)
2012 Seniors: 16th with 165.34 (18th in SP + 14th in FS)

Hopefully the move to Pairs skating will be just what both of them need to rejuvenate their skating careers.

Good luck Sofia and Alexander!

CaroLiza_fan

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Good luck to the new pair!

I'm sorry that will be even more difficult to get into pairs team for Biryukova:no:
Stolbova&Klimov, Antipova&Maisuradze are already much stronger than them. New partnerships of Davankova&Enbert and Bazarova&Deputat seems also stronger. With Volosozhar&Trankov not retiring and there are others, I'm really sorry for Sofia. But maybe after 2018, their time may come.

volk

Final Flight
Good luck to the new pair!

I'm sorry that will be even more difficult to get into pairs team for Biryukova:no:
Stolbova&Klimov, Antipova&Maisuradze are already much stronger than them. New partnerships of Davankova&Enbert and Bazarova&Deputat seems also stronger. With Volosozhar&Trankov not retiring and there are others, I'm really sorry for Sofia. But maybe after 2018, their time may come.

With Sofia's current level of skating, she'll have difficulty staying in top 10 of Russian Nationals. At least with pairs she may have some decent results.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
With Sofia's current level of skating, she'll have difficulty staying in top 10 of Russian Nationals. At least with pairs she may have some decent results.
And, Pair skaters usually stay around longer than singles, so they have time to develop... But does he have any Pairs experience at all?

hanca

Record Breaker

She will have difficulty to even qualify for Russia nationals in pairs. While in ladies they have 18 skaters competing, in pairs only 12 and considering how many potentially good pairs are there now, I think it may be even fight to get to the nationals.
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov
Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov
Julia Antipova / Nodari Maisuradze
Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov
Maria Vygalova/Egor Zakroev

Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
Vera Bazarova / Andrey Deputat
Vasilisa Davankova/ Aleksander Enbert
Lina Fedorova/Maxim Miroshkin
Kristina Astakhova/ Alexei Rogonov
Natalia Zabijako /Yuri Larionov
Arina Chernivskaya/Antonio Souza-Kordyeru

That's 12 already and they all have pairs experience, whereas neither Sofia nor her partner do.

And there is more:
Anastasia Martiusheva/Alexander Korovin
Kamila Gainetdinova / Sergey Alekseev
Angelina Jekaterinina/Ivan Bich
Anastasia Gubanova / Alexei Sintsov

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Sofia is a little too tall for pairs too.

Not really. She is 160 cm and 20 years old, so done growing. While she is on the taller side for pairs ladies, she is the exact same height as Vera Bazarova and Tatiana Volosozhar (our current OGM in pairs) (both 160 cm) and only 2-3 cm taller than Stolbova, Antipova, Tarasova, Kavugati. She is right in the range, though she is admittedly at the upper end of it.