Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar

News Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

The National Ice Skating Association (NISA) is bidding to bring one of the biggest and most prestigious annual skating events in the world to the UK for the first time in almost 20 years.

NISA has submitted a bid in partnership with Glasgow City Council, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, EventScotland and UK Sport to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 in Glasgow. This strong partnership is built on a wealth of major event experience and a passion for ice skating.

A decision by the International Skating Union (ISU) is expected to be made after the organisation’s congress taking place in Dublin from 9 to 13 June.

Bringing the World Championships to the UK would enhance the new investment that NISA is making into developing talent and growing participation.
    Click here to read more: http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A...7/292/Articles

Thumbs up. Great Britain might not be the skating powerhoise it was but my goodness their commentators are brilliant!
    Im all for it.

Custom Title
    Yes, yes, yes, please!!!!!!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, please!!!!!!
    Yes, I'll vote for that!!!!

Glasgow would be perfect for me!!! Just a short flight from Aldergrove to Prestwick, or a ferry from Larne to Stranraer, and I'm there in no time!!!

And even better, the ISU congress is in Dublin!!! So, I can go down there and try to bribe the delegates to make sure it comes to Glasgow!!!

I was gutted when I didn't get to Sheffield for Euros a couple of years ago, so this would more than make up for it.

And hopefully by the time 2017 comes, Karly Robertson will have improved to a level where the Scottish fans will be able to properly cheer for her.

It's just a pity that Jenna is no longer competing, as I have always wanted to hold up an Ulster flag for her...

CaroLiza_fan

Wow so it's Sweden, Finland, Russia and Scotland in contention now!
    I'm rooting for Finland because it would be sooo cheap for me to go then, but Scotland would definitely be an excellent choice as well! By then Scotland will be an independent country as well (I hope)!

Banned
    Scotland will be busy with Independance feast, the Russian top guy said they had other events to run. I am for Helsinki or Stockholm.

Custom Title
    I would love for Scotland to do it, but I think it's unlikely. I'd certainly prefer them over Sochi though. I think Finland is the best bet at this point. Quite a few skating fans there (especially known for synchro)... perhaps Kiira might come back? One can hope.

Custom Title
    I think that's terrific! Would LOVE to see Worlds be somewhere in Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Scotland will be busy with Independance feast, the Russian top guy said they had other events to run. I am for Helsinki or Stockholm.
    I think independence is exactly the reason they want the comp there: they will want to put on international quality events as soon as they can in order to "establish" themselves as a legit country

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I think independence is exactly the reason they want the comp there: they will want to put on international quality events as soon as they can in order to "establish" themselves as a legit country
    I would love to go to Scotland. The price would be less costly than Sochi.

Custom Title
    Yes, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I would love to go to Scotland. The price would be less costly than Sochi.
    Scotland is wonderful

Rinkside
    I like the idea of Glasgow. It brings more neutrality to the championships.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Scotland is wonderful
    Yes, and I've heard they produce some rather good whisky, too.

Bring on the Laphroaig!

Custom Title
    Awesome! I'm always happy for (new) countries that rarely/never host competitions to host a big event - it's great to boost skating in that country, and as thom said, a neutral location is always good

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast